LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-22-2004, 09:07 AM   #1
dvdman45
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Yum Update Option

Hi
I'm new to this forum and Fedora(Linux)...I feel like I did 8 years ago when I jumped into Windows with both feet (very green)...also very excited!!.
This is where I'm at so far..installed Fedora successfully and like what I see..some problems with my printer and getting any sound files to run, however, that's not my concern at this moment. I have been ready books on linux and ran across the option of updating the program using the command "yum update". I enter Ctrl-Alt-F1 and then print in "yum update", I am then asked to enter my user name(this is fine) , then asked to enter a password...this is where I am stuck! When I type in the password, no letters are displayed and the cursor does not move at all.
Anyone have any ideas about this.
Thanks for any help at all!!

Bill

Old 03-22-2004, 11:21 AM   #2
THX75

Distribution: Ubuntu | Mac OS X 10.3

Rep: Reputation: 15
You actually don't need to drop out of Xwindows, all you need to do is open the console and then run yum. There should be a Console icon somewhere in your menu.

The password thing... it's supposed to be blank when you type it in the console. When you do run yum, you need to either be logged in as root, or you can login as su.

Here's a brief tutorial on how to use Yum.
http://fedoranews.org/tchung/howto/2...um-intro.shtml

I have to warn you that Yum is really slow if you use the default server configuration. I would suggest using mirrors with Yum. You can read how to do that at this link.
http://fedoranews.org/tchung/howto/2...um-speed.shtml

Old 03-22-2004, 12:22 PM   #3
dvdman45
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Yum Update Option

Hi THX75

Thanks for the response...this guidance and direction can keep me going for awhile.

Is there anything else that the "Console Icon" could be called. For the life of me I can find nothing of the sort.

Thanks
Bill

Old 03-22-2004, 01:38 PM   #4
THX75

Look for "Terminal". I think you can right-click on the desktop and select "Open Terminal".

Good luck!

Old 03-22-2004, 03:05 PM   #5
dvdman45
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
YUM and updating headers

Hi Again
I was able to open the terminal and was told that I had to "update the headers on the system"

Could you point me in the right direction and I'll give ya a break for a while?

Thanks
Bill

Old 03-22-2004, 05:45 PM   #6
THX75

If you haven't done "yum check-update" yet, then it might give you this error. You have to do this the first time you use yum.

Check out that first link I posted and it should get you through your first yum experience. Be warned that it will be REALLY slow unless you use mirrors in your yum setup (see second link).

Old 03-23-2004, 05:03 PM   #7
Frank_Drebin

Rep: Reputation: 30
I would HIGHLY recommend that you download and install apt-get for yarrow. It is much much much easier to use than yum. Apt-get will automatically fix dependency issues that yum can't in many cases. Also, apt-get points to many different mirrors by default. Another great program for updating is synaptic. It is a gui (not console or terminal based) based upgrader and is very user friendly.

An example of Apt-get vs Yum: I wanted to install Totem to play DVD's. I downloaded the totem rpm and was given a loooonnnnnggggg list of other rpms and libraries to go find on my own in order to install the program.

With apt-get, I typed apt-get totem* and 10 minutes later watched a dvd.

Try it, you'll love it.

Old 03-23-2004, 08:19 PM   #8
orion78
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora

Just a little something else if you plan on using yum, you will need to get the latest version becuase the version that comes with FDC1 is not the most recent.

I myself have used yum since the beginning and like very much over apt-get. As far as yum being slower, I have agree in that since it is a bit slower and quite frequently I get a failed connect to certain mirrors, but all in all I prefer over apt-get.

Old 03-24-2004, 08:47 AM   #9
dvdman45
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
apt get

Hi
Thanks for the responses, I found something at this site and downloaded the Fedora Core 1 file listed..Hmmmm! Am I heading in the right direction? Looked like it installed something, however, I'm lost as to were to go from here?

I know this is going to make sense sooner or late (hopefully sooner)...I did consider myself pretty "up there" in the Windows knowledge.

Back to the drawing board!!!!

http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraHOWTO

Thanks Again

Bill

Old 03-25-2004, 10:35 PM   #10
orion78
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora

Thats a decent site, been there myself.

Here's another which is pretty good.

unofficial #fedora FAQ

Old 04-14-2004, 11:14 AM   #11
tktim

Distribution: Fedora 15

Rep: Reputation: 16
HOWTO: Install Apt for RPM in Fedora Core 1

Quote:
From Fedora News.org: But YUM already does all of this, and it comes with FC1!!!" you may feel the need to yell at me, the thing is, apt is better. see URL below
http://fedoranews.org/jorge/howto/howto02.shtml

If you also install the Synaptic apt front-end, you get a GUI and you can forget about the command line.

Old 04-15-2004, 09:02 AM   #12
saxophobe

Distribution: CentOS 5.3

My solution...

While I still use yum, I did end up installing apt-get and Synaptic from the following site that had rpms tailored for Fedora:

http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/fedora/linux/1/

After downloading, I simply installed from terminal and I was off to the races!

Also, speaking of yum, I also found a site that stated how to speed up yum by changing the config files to check different sites for updates:

http://fedoranews.org/tchung/howto/2...um-speed.shtml

If this is a repost, I apologize.

Thanks all!