LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-20-2004, 12:31 PM   #1
polopolo
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
HELP!! Cant install monitor in red hat 8.0

Hi there,

I have a problem installing red hat 8.0

I have done everyting to install it and everything went fine untill the end when the system do not recognize my monitor an AOC CMLB 735 17". I dont know
what to do for Red hat Linux to recognize my monitor as it was working fine in windows before. When i try to TEST CONFIGURATION the screen goes black and then after 1 or 2 seconds cames back on to the same screen to choose a resolution and colors...

My graphics card is a S3 trio64V2/DX 1MB RAM and it was recognized.

Could you help me in resolving this please??

I have been reading some posts in the internet and found out that if i find some improtant like refresh rate, horizontal and verticl scan, resolutions values about this monitor i can edit a linux config file with those.

How can i put this working? Please help

Many thanks
Pedro

Old 02-20-2004, 12:33 PM   #2
DrOzz

Distribution: slackware

Rep: Reputation: 60
well go search around about specs for your monitor and find its
horizontal and vertical frequencies .. and then run :
xf86config
and configure it manually ...

Old 02-20-2004, 12:42 PM   #3
polopolo
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Hi,

Thats what i have done but it seems that i cant get these values as it is a monitor of 1993.

If anyone have this values i would appreciate their help.

Pedro

Old 02-20-2004, 02:08 PM   #4
DrOzz

http://www.monitorworld.com/Monitors/aoc/cm735.html
?

http://www.si87.com/MonitorSolutions/aoc/cm735.html
?

Old 02-21-2004, 06:57 AM   #5
polopolo
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
HI,

I knew about this pages but the information they dont reveal all the information i need to get my monitor to work.

Where should i change settings in red hat linux to recognize my monitor.. i dont know where???

I have installed linux in my computer however when it boots it comes to a login message, so i log in as root. Then i give the command like:

redhat-config-xfree86

and it runs something but i cant edit anything at all...

My monitor have two back cable possibilities. One is with a standard cable used nowadays and the other is a 5 jacks connections that must have a proper cable which i do not have. I dont know if it is because of this linux is not installed.

Is it red hat that doesnt support the monitor?? This is really bead because it should support everything like windows if they want to get as many people using linux... this is a big trouble to be honest... maybe i will format and put back on windows...

thanks.
pedro

Old 02-21-2004, 07:30 PM   #6
DrOzz

what do you mean that isn't the info ?
Quote:
H Freq/ V Freq: 30-64 khz / 90 hz
overlooked them lines ?
thats all the info you want ...
as of the rest of the prompts in xf86config, you can simply just look on your desk and see what keyboard and mouse you got to answer them questions, and then just simply select a generic driver for your video card from you list, then plug in them values for your monitor and save the config, and give it a shot ...

and why can't you edit anything ? what do you mean by that ?
and just try typing xf86config if for some reason that redhat-config stuff isn't working out for you ...

Old 02-23-2004, 09:08 AM   #7
polopolo
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
This a complete waste of time... linux seems to not recognise my monitor at all.

I am doing this.

I have edit the config file with the valuesin the prevoius message for Horz and Vert sync and then i run the command startx. I receive always a error NO SCREEN detected or found...

I think it must have a driver or som ething like that...

What should i do at this point??

Polopolo

Old 02-23-2004, 11:30 AM   #8
polopolo
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
LINUX is crap!!!

This is true... i have been for more than 7 days trying to install linux red hat 8.0 and i cant even get it to recognize my monitor!!!!

Should linux , as windows detect a simple monitor that wolrks under windows so well?? These problems are infinite and i cant get my monitor to work so thats why this linux story that is great is full of crap because its virtualy impossible to install it... maybe there are exceptions of course!

This is sooo frustrating... i want to get linux out now. I have placed some questions here in the forum, sent emails to the monitor factory, to red hjat and no one replies or help so whats the point of installing it?

If anyone knows how to help...
Pedro

Old 02-23-2004, 11:37 AM   #9
320mb

Distribution: Slackware, LFS

Rep: Reputation: 48
well what exactly is the problem??
ranting won't do any good here! We feel your pain because we all
went thru it!! but alot of us here did not give up either!!

Old 02-23-2004, 11:37 AM   #10
XavierP

Distribution: Debian Testing

Rep: Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475
So...let me get this straight. Because your monitor manufacturer doesn't provide drivers for the monitor, Linux is at fault here?

Did you try selecting a generic model to get you going? Did you try then manually inputting the refresh rates, etc?

In fact, DrOzz was very helpful in finding the information for you.

It is supremely unhelpful to go to a Linux forum and post that it is crap. Since this is a rant and not a question asking for help I am moving it to General.

Please feel free to email either myself, one of the other mods or Jeremy if you disagree with this.

Old 02-23-2004, 11:38 AM   #11
bnice

Distribution: Slack 9.1, slackware-current

Rep: Reputation: 30
PEBKAC - but you don't want to hear that...

Which monitor do you use?

Old 02-23-2004, 11:46 AM   #12
polopolo
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I am using a AOC CMLB-735 monitor (17 inch). I have made the modifications with Horizontal and vertical syncs in XFConfig and when i try with STARTX nothing happens and i continuously get a message NO SCREEN FOUND or detected... Xwindows will not start. I even try with the command redhat-config-xfree86 and nothing either...

Old 02-23-2004, 11:49 AM   #13
Melkor

Distribution: Linux Mint

Rep: Reputation: 34
I had gazillions of problems with Red Hat, not the least of which were lots and lots of bizarre, random display issues that never seemed to end.

Mandrake and Slackware both worked perfectly on the exact same hardware. Maybe try a different distro? It worked for me...

Old 02-23-2004, 12:36 PM   #14
bnice

Distribution: Slack 9.1, slackware-current

Rep: Reputation: 30
Can you show us /etc/X11/XF86Config?

Old 02-23-2004, 12:47 PM   #15
Capt_Caveman

Distribution: Fedora

Rep: Reputation: 69
If you're getting a NO SCREENS FOUND error, then you didn't properly set up the X configuration during the install process. Try running redhat-config-xfree86 or XFree86 -configure and select the appropriate settings for your monitor and video card. Make sure it writes a new XF86Config file. Just because you don't know how to use something doesn't mean it sucks. I can't fly an Apache helicopter or do triple bypass heart surgery, does that mean they suck?