LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-15-2004, 01:13 PM   #1
Dave The R/Cer
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora C1, RH6, RH7, RH8, RH9, Slackware (Some-Old-Version)

Rep: Reputation: 0
Radeon 9600 help on Fedora C1 WTH is going on?

Hey I like that decalabobthingy

My radeon 9600 is having tons of problems with Fedora

It had X server problems with RHat 9.0 too!

It crashes every time I boot whenever I try to do anything on the login screen with the mouse or when I try to log in.

Does anyone else have a Radeon 9600???

I've been using linux for 5 years, debugging stuff is a pain because I have no time (school, sports, RCing, more extracurricular (i'm 12)), I'm angry.

I tried everything from downloadign ATI drivers, looking for the Xconfig utility, to kicking my computer just kidding, instead I checked to see if my GPU was overheating (for some reason my 9600 had no fan, good thing airflow in my horribly antediluvian rig(Asus CUSL2 mobo, PIII 700 mhz, 512mb PC100 memory , 9600 , DARN low-wattage CHEAP PSU!!!)) but it wasn't

Sorry for being a discursive poster but CAN anyone help me?

Old 02-15-2004, 03:16 PM   #2
yye00
LQ Newbie

Distribution: fedora core 1/2.6.1 kernel

Greetings
I am new at ATI Linux issues, I sorted out my firegl mobility t2 issues (to some extent at least) a few weeks ago. ATI ususally have their own version of the xconfig utility that writes an XFree86config-4 file, which should be the file you want to look at. If you have done this and it did not work, can you post the xfrree86 log file contents so we can get a look at what is happening? Please also include distribution information, kernel (use the command: uname -r ).

NB R/Cer as in Radio Control?

Old 02-16-2004, 11:29 AM   #3
Fred_Beondo
LQ Newbie

I have a 9600 Mobility w/128ddr in my notebook and have just given Fedora a try. I've been using SuSE 9, which BTW is an excellent distribution and supports the M(P)10 chipset but only in 2D. Works fine otherwise. Not a gamer so I really don't NEED the 3D. It'd be nice to have though. I'm using the VESA (framebuffer) driver with Fedora. No 3D either but the 2D performance is much smoother on my particular machine (SXGA) than with SuSE. Your results may vary. I had tried the generic radeon driver in fedora but it was nogo. I'll be content to wait for this card to be supported as my machine won't be obsolete too soon, I hope! It's a 3Ghz P4 with 1G of ddr, DVDrw nice screen etc. I hope that holds for a while. Good luck.

Old 02-16-2004, 03:12 PM   #4
exark237
LQ Newbie

I got mine working

Here is a (abotu as detailed as I can get) description of how I got my 9600 working on Fedora.

First, download the drivers from ATI here

Then, su or login as root.

The ATI driver conflicts with XFree86-Mesa-libGL so you either need to uninstall it via:

Code:
rpm -e XFree86-Mesa-libGL
and then
Code:
rpm -Uhv fglrx-glc22-xxx-xxx.i386.rpm
or force the ATI installation by:

Code:
rpm -Uhv --force flgrx-glc22-xxx-xxx.i386.rpm
i did (and suggest) the former. Then, once everything runs by (hopefully errorless) run:

Code:
modprobe agpgart
modprobe fglrx
fglrxconfig
fill out all the questions as they apply (most of the tiem, defaults are fine) but make sure to answer yes to the question asking about using external AGP GART mdoule.

After that, restart your x server. To test your new setup, type in glxgears and fgl_glxgears. My results for glxgears average around 3000fps and 500fps for fgl_glxgears

Old 02-16-2004, 08:15 PM   #5
Dave The R/Cer
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora C1, RH6, RH7, RH8, RH9, Slackware (Some-Old-Version)

Original Poster
Yep, did what you suggested, it WORKED, I got in by pressing ctrl-alt-f1 at login, logged in as root

YAY!

PS I do Radio Control nitro planes (just started, Never flown yet but I will soon!!!) and trying to get another math award to get an RC nitro buggy)

Old 04-02-2004, 11:53 AM   #6
h00ligan
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 15
sorry to get in late on this but does the above procedure work for the 9600 mobility

Old 04-02-2004, 12:21 PM   #7
Nytehawk
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora Core 2

Rep: Reputation: 15
Sorry...this is OT, but...

Quote:
I've been using linux for 5 years, debugging stuff is a pain because I have no time (school, sports, RCing, more extracurricular (i'm 12)...
Quote:
...good thing airflow in my horribly antediluvian rig...
(Is this the computer that Moses built???)

Quote:
Sorry for being a discursive poster...

Can I just say I'm impressed? I can only hope that my son (due June 5th) will be as astute.

Old 04-29-2004, 04:18 AM   #8
varying
LQ Newbie

Re: I got mine working

Quote:
Originally posted by exark237

Code:
rpm -e XFree86-Mesa-libGL
hi all! :)
when I type this command, I obtain this result:

Code:
error: Failed dependencies:
        libGL.so.1 is needed by (installed) XFree86-libs-4.3.0-42
        libGL.so.1 is needed by (installed) qt-3.1.2-14
        libGL.so.1 is needed by (installed) chromium-0.9.12-24
        libGL.so.1 is needed by (installed) tuxracer-0.61-23
        libGL.so.1 is needed by (installed) xawtv-3.88-6
        libGL.so.1 is needed by (installed) XFree86-tools-4.3.0-42
        libGL.so.1 is needed by (installed) xmms-1.2.8-3.p
        libGL.so.1 is needed by (installed) xscreensaver-4.14-2
        libGL.so.1 is needed by (installed) kdeartwork-3.1.4-1
how can I delete my problem?
thank yo very much. ;)

Old 05-01-2004, 10:15 PM   #9
jpbedinger
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mandrake 9.1

yeah, use --nodeps on the end of the RPM command to remove the module(without caring if it breaks dependencies), then make sure to install the new RPM driver module right away.
If you get garbage during install about not having a customized kernel and 3d stuff being slow, follow the instructions on running ./make.sh in the readme file. Make sure you set permissions on make.sh and everything else using chmod +rwx make.sh as root.

-John-Paul Bedinger