LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2004, 05:44 PM   #1
fukumdaryl
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora core 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
eth0 network card won't activate

network card: realtek rtl-8139
network card is listed as the eth0 device, won't activated in redhat-services-config. It's hooked up to cable modem through lynksys hub and is set for using dhcp. My other computer works fine through the hub and i had tried to connect the second computer directly. They are both configured the same except the network cards.

Old 02-10-2004, 07:46 PM   #2
JoeDuncan

Distribution: Redhat 5.2, 6.0, 6.1, Mandrake 7.2, 8.0, 9.1, 9.2, 10.0, Gentoo, Debian 3.1r0

Rep: Reputation: 30
What do you get if you issue the:

ifconfig

command?

Also, what happens if you try:

ifup eth0

Old 02-10-2004, 10:16 PM   #3
fukumdaryl
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
ifup eth0... failed
the if config - eth0 - Link encamp:Ethernet HWaddr 00:40:F4:54:A0:1B
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 METRIC:1
RX PACKETS: 4312 -REST ARE ZEROS
TX PACKETS: 14 -REST ARE ZEROS
COLISSIONS:0 TXQUEUELEN:1000
INTERRUPT:10 BASE ADDRESS:0X7COO
LO - LO LINK ENCAMP: LOCAL LOOPBACK
INET ADDR:127.0.0.1 MASK:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 METRIC:1
RX PACKETS:5229 -REST ARE 0
TX PACKETS:5229 -REST ARE 0
COLISSIONS:0 TXQUEUELEN:0
RX BYTES:4343254 TX BYTES:4343254

I ALREADY RESEATED THE HARDWARE, UNINSTALLED/REINSTALLED THE PROFILES IN REDHAT-NETWORK-CONFIG UNDER BOTH THE DEVICES AND HARDWARE TABS, AND RERAN NETCONFIG TO VERIFY THAT IT WAS SETUP FOR DHCP.

Last edited by fukumdaryl; 02-10-2004 at 10:31 PM.

Old 02-10-2004, 10:47 PM   #4
vectordrake

Distribution: Something alpha or beta, binary or source...

Rep: Reputation: 47
First check your cable. I know, it sounds dumb, but a bad cable is never suspect. If ok, then try what I did: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...367#post751367

Old 02-11-2004, 04:13 AM   #5
JoeDuncan

Distribution: Redhat 5.2, 6.0, 6.1, Mandrake 7.2, 8.0, 9.1, 9.2, 10.0, Gentoo, Debian 3.1r0

It looks like your card is up and running, it just can't get an IP address, might be something wrong with your DHCP setup for that card... try:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2

(or some other appropriate static IP Address) and see if you can set it static, if you can, then you know the problem is with DHCP...

Old 02-11-2004, 11:01 PM   #6
Blinker_Fluid

Rep: Reputation: 63
I'm running the same card and using DHCP.
Here's what I have in my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp

You might want to check that you are seeing the hardware...
--> lspci | grep Etherne
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc RTL8139 Ethernet (rev 10)

Old 02-12-2004, 01:08 AM   #7
rockee

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by Blinker_Fluid
DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp

--> lspci | grep Etherne
I can almost get my net to work, but still can't get DHCP running. I can ping my laptop to itself and I can ping another machine on my net through a router. Anytime I try to ping a name, I get "unknown host". I took your suggestion above and actually created this file with the contents that you had indicated:
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, but this didn't seem to help.

Any more suggestions?

Old 02-12-2004, 06:56 AM   #8
vectordrake

Distribution: Something alpha or beta, binary or source...

Rep: Reputation: 47
You need a nameserver. That's stored in /etc/resolv.conf. Its easy: nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

I used the ones that my ISP provides, so mine looks like this (actually Mandy's install asked for them, and it added localhost as well). Here's mine:

nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 24.153.23.66
nameserver 24.153.22.195

(that's Rogers Cable) Your ISP should have a FAQ page with the nameserver listed. Perhaps its listed on one of your other puters (in Windows under the TCP/IP part of your connection properties - DNS)

Old 02-12-2004, 09:10 AM   #9
rockee

Quote:
Originally posted by vectordrake
You need a nameserver. That's stored in /etc/resolv.conf. Its easy: nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

I used the ones that my ISP provides, so mine looks like this (actually Mandy's install asked for them, and it added localhost as well). Here's mine:

nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 24.153.23.66
nameserver 24.153.22.195

(that's Rogers Cable) Your ISP should have a FAQ page with the nameserver listed. Perhaps its listed on one of your other puters (in Windows under the TCP/IP part of your connection properties - DNS)
Thanks for the reply.

I WASA able to communicate through the router (I saw the light flashing for the laptop and now it isn't flashing). I don't know what happened. It's not working now.

The way I got it to work was forcing it using this command:
ifconfig eth0 address netmask mask.

Where should I put this command so I don't need to keyboard it in each time?

Next, I tried adding an "/etc/sysconfig/networkscripts/ifcfg-eth0" file. This didn't do it.

I looked at my TCPIUP settings on my main computer and they say "Obtain DNS server address automatically".

So, how do you think I should get this board communicating again and if DNS is obtained automatically, do I still need to set the resolv.conf file entries?

Thanks.
If I ever get the light flashing again,

Old 02-12-2004, 10:17 AM   #10
jaa1180

Distribution: Ubuntu

No no, you should not have to add a command to make the card come up.
make sure dhcpcd is running. It may not be starting on the boot.
Code:
# dhcpcd eth0
that will tell you if it is started or not. If it is started then a it will tell you.... if not then the # prompt will come back up.
You don't have to put in a DNS server, if dhcpcd does not have a list it contact the DHCP server for a DNS server.

Old 02-12-2004, 12:10 PM   #11
rockee

Quote:
Originally posted by jaa1180
No no, you should not have to add a command to make the card come up.
make sure dhcpcd is running. It may not be starting on the boot.
Code:
# dhcpcd eth0
that will tell you if it is started or not. If it is started then a it will tell you.... if not then the # prompt will come back up.
You don't have to put in a DNS server, if dhcpcd does not have a list it contact the DHCP server for a DNS server.
Thanks!!!

That did it.

Now the question is, when I shut off the machine and want to reboot, how do I get the card to start automatically and DHCP to work automatically?

Do I need to put the commands into ascript?

Old 02-12-2004, 12:14 PM   #12
rockee

Quote:
Originally posted by rockee
Thanks!!!

That did it.

Now the question is, when I shut off the machine and want to reboot, how do I get the card to start automatically and DHCP to work automatically?

Do I need to put the commands into ascript?
One more question. I'm probably in the wrong thread.

I am getting to the ftp site to download Mandrake 9.2 OK.

I can download individual files.

When I do an mget to get a directory, it then asks me for each subdirectory. I say "yes" and it says "No such file or directory".

Any idea how to get all without having to answer yes each time and why this error msg.

Thanks.

Old 02-12-2004, 07:53 PM   #13
fukumdaryl
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I think it's dhcp

First check your cable. I know, it sounds dumb, but a bad cable is never suspect. If ok, then try what I did:

I checked the cable. It is fine (works on other computer). lsmod shows this for the NIC module I use:
Module Size Used by Not tainted
8139too 16808
I believe this means it is loaded, but I'm not sure. On startup eth0 shows failed.

It looks like your card is up and running, it just can't get an IP address, might be something wrong with your DHCP setup for that card... try:

(or some other appropriate static IP Address) and see if you can set it static, if you can, then you know the problem is with DHCP...

ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 does allow me to change the ip to 192.168.0.2, and is also reflected when I do ifconfig as the inet and other enteries on the line are added, so what that means is that it is probably DHCP.
DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp

--> lspci | grep Etherne

My /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
USRCTL=no
PEERDNS=yes
TYPE=Ethernet

My network card is being shown with lspci

nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 24.153.23.66
nameserver 24.153.22.195

/etc/resolv.conf was an empty file. I added the first local address line saved, and rebooted it, which didn't do anything, but my dns is also automaticly obtained. I don't think dhcpcd is on my system, but when I did dhclient, it ended with:
No DHCPOFFERS recieved No working leases on in persistent database -sleeping

If anybody has any additional ideas, I would be much obliged. (remember that rocky was posting his problem in this thread as well as mine)

Old 02-12-2004, 08:04 PM   #14
rockee

Re: I think it's dhcp

Quote:
Originally posted by fukumdaryl
First check your cable. I know, it sounds dumb, but a bad cable is never suspect. If ok, then try what I did:

I checked the cable. It is fine (works on other computer). lsmod shows this for the NIC module I use:
Module Size Used by Not tainted
8139too 16808
I believe this means it is loaded, but I'm not sure. On startup eth0 shows failed.

ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 does allow me to change the ip to 192.168.0.2, and is also reflected when I do ifconfig as the inet and other enteries on the line are added, so what that means is that it is probably DHCP.
DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp

--> lspci | grep Etherne

My /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
USRCTL=no
PEERDNS=yes
TYPE=Ethernet

My network card is being shown with lspci

nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 24.153.23.66
nameserver 24.153.22.195

/etc/resolv.conf was an empty file. I added the first local address line saved, and rebooted it, which didn't do anything, but my dns is also automaticly obtained. I don't think dhcpcd is on my system, but when I did dhclient, it ended with:
No DHCPOFFERS recieved No working leases on in persistent database -sleeping

If anybody has any additional ideas, I would be much obliged. (remember that rocky was posting his problem in this thread as well as mine)
I posted in another thread and seemed to have gotten the answer. This worked for me.

I executed command
"dhcpch eth0"

It said first that it wasn't running, paused, came back, and then it was started.

Let me know if this works for you.

Old 02-12-2004, 08:25 PM   #15
fukumdaryl
LQ Newbie

Original Poster

Nope, it says command not found when I put in dhcpch eth0, just like when I put in dhcpcd eth0. Some more info that may be helpful: dhclient is empty (you may have laready known that), and in /var/boot/boot.log after the date and localhost it says ifup: Cannot get dirver information. Operation not supported. This is also the original installation of Fedora Core. Nothing has been added or changed past the network setup.

Last edited by fukumdaryl; 02-12-2004 at 08:33 PM.