LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2003, 04:05 PM   #1
thegeekster

Distribution: Vector 5.8-SOHO, FreeBSD 6.2

Rep: Reputation: 34
Shell scripts on the web

Recently, I've been looking around for sites with ready-made shell scripts that others felt like sharing, and was surprised to find merely a handful of available scripts. There's plenty of scripts using perl, php, sql, c-c++, and other programming languages, but very little in the way of UNIX shell scripts. There's even plenty of ready-made Windows' scripts available (what's up with that ).

I figure there has to be plenty of good scripts already made which someone is willing to share to others, so why try to reinvent the wheel..............I've come to realize when I was an avid Windows tweaker that shell scripts are a powerful asset to _any_ operating system, but is often overlooked in favor of a more "powerful" language. But shell scripts can often do tasks much faster and more efficient and without the extra overhead of invoking another interpreter, since shell interpreters are part of the OS itself. And the 'NIX shell commands are much more powerful than any Windows/DOS ones.

Therefore, I'm going to post some of the sites I've come across here and hope you will add to it any good sites that have shell scripts available. Even small, one-liners are great to have available. They could be used in building more complex scripts.

SourceForge.net: Snippet Library
Heiner's SHELLdorado
Softpanorama Virtual Library: Open Source Shells Webliography
Tower Floor -- Shell Scripts
The armory.com Anonymous FTP Archives
ftp://ftp.ora.com/published/oreilly/power_tools/unix/

Enjoy
---thegeekster

Old 12-31-2003, 08:45 AM   #2
hw-tph

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 58
I am also quite a fan of shell scripts. I use them for a lot of things - ripping CD's, mailing, database backups...if you can think of something you need to do it's quite possible that there is a way (or one hundred ways!) to do it with a bash script.

The dotfiles is a pretty fun resource. Many of the scripts are way over the top though. LOL

Håkan

Old 06-15-2004, 05:49 PM   #3
320mb

Distribution: Slackware, LFS

Rep: Reputation: 48
bump for the fun of it.............