LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-22-2002, 04:33 AM   #1
Daniel(0_0)
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question does anyone know which linux OS is better

Can someone tell me which OS is better from these:
1. Mandrake Linux 8.1
2. Red Hat (newest version)
3. SUSE Linux (newest version)

I think that Mandrake is better but I am not really sure that is the right one. Can someone tell me? Thanx!

Old 01-22-2002, 04:55 AM   #2
isajera

Rep: Reputation: 45
the mandrake distro is usually recommended as the easiest to install, but both redhat and suse are very good distros for beginners. if you're just getting started, then the latest release of mandrake would probably be the best way to go.

Old 01-22-2002, 06:24 AM   #3
Daniel(0_0)
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Smile what about in performance

So mandrake you said was the best one but what about in performance. Which one of those three is the best for performence? And Thanx

Old 01-22-2002, 07:20 AM   #4
trusouthrnplaya

Distribution: CentOS 4.0, Slackware 10.2,

Rep: Reputation: 30
I don't know about redhat and susie..but I have been using Mandrake 8.1 and haven't had any problems out of it ....

Old 01-22-2002, 07:53 AM   #5
unSpawn

Rep: Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600
I think a lot of people dont know *what exactly* theyre looking for when asking this kind of general questions, but if you define performance as "getting the most out of Linux by tweaking it" all three will do.

Linux has a directory (/proc) where on-demand changes can be made that can affect system/network/filesystem/memory/etc/etc performance (ok, adversely as well if done wrong), Irqtune to sort out priorities for handling devices, and tweakd(?) which seems to be somewhat like wintendo's TweakUI (I think, never had to use it). And since Linux is utterly configurable there's bound to be a config file for whatever it is in /etc.

Old 01-22-2002, 04:44 PM   #6
isajera

Rep: Reputation: 45
when it comes down to it, all the distros use the same programs - the only differences are in the install programs and some of the configuration files. if you're a newbie, then it's best to start with a distro like mandrake and then learn how to reconfigure whatever you want. all the progs from redhat to suse to mandrake are going to be the same - it's just the tape holding them together that differs, and that's the part you can reconfigure if you want to.

i'd say just start with drake.

Old 01-24-2002, 05:48 PM   #7
yorkie
LQ Newbie

I have only tryed Suse & Mandrake so far, but I agree with isajera. The main difference I found was in config. mandrake seems easy compared to suse because with suse, not only do you keed to get familiar with linux, but also YAST (Yet Another Setup Tool)

Personally, I never really did like yast...