LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-05-2003, 07:56 PM   #1
mymojo

Distribution: Slackware 9.1

Rep: Reputation: 30
unable to connect to the internet after a month of trying!

ok, hello there! I'm an idiot... so bare with me...

I've got cable internet.

I have a standard USB 10/100 ethernet USB adapter. in windows XP it uses Accton USB 10/100 Ethernet Adapter and SIS900 (only got one usb adapter though!)

I also have a SMC Ezcard 10/100 PCI NIC card (which I don't currently use)

I've tried usbmgr (http://www.dotaster.com/~shuu/linux/usbmgr/) with no luck, along with murasaki (http://www.dotaster.com/~shuu/linux/murasaki/) with no luck either.

I use DHCP - dynamic IP. I've been trying to get it work on Vector Linux 4.0

I've been going at it for about a month now. Still nothing! Can someone please stay with me until I get it to work? Keep suggesting... and... this is so annoying cause I gotta keep booting back into windows to get responses. Once I got the internet on Linux it's so MUCH easier to solve problems.. just run up a search.. without booting to/from windows..

here's the other stuff I've tried:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hreadid=115847

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hreadid=116111

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hreadid=116610

Thanks!

Last edited by mymojo; 12-05-2003 at 08:01 PM.

Old 12-05-2003, 08:22 PM   #2
GT_Onizuka

Distribution: Debian, OS X

Rep: Reputation: 31
Ack USB for your modem? Is there anyway you could try and get around that? I haven't ever used one, but I have heard that they can be troublesome, if you can get an Ethernet connection, your life will probably be much easier in the long run. Sorry I can't give any help though, I've never tried using one.

Old 12-05-2003, 08:26 PM   #3
mymojo

Original Poster
It's an @HomeNetwork USB 10/100 Ethernet Adapter on a Surfboard Cable Modem SB3100i

XP just uses the mentioned drivers... I've got no linux support for the ones that my ISP gave me... the above mentioned drivers work fine on Windows though..

Last edited by mymojo; 12-05-2003 at 08:28 PM.

Old 12-05-2003, 08:30 PM   #4
burnpile

Distribution: Slackware

You have a PCI NIC. I'll assume it's in the PC and has been detected by Win and Vector at install. Try this and see if it works.

Plug a cat 5 cable into it. Plug other end into modem, and disconnect the USB cable. Boot into Windows, it will fool around a bit and then detect the new connection. Open the network settings in windows, select dhcp. Make sure it works.

Boot into Linux. Log on as root at the CL. type vasm. Follow directions on screen to configure your network. If all went well you should have a connection.

Old 12-05-2003, 08:36 PM   #5
mymojo

Original Poster
currently doing it... bbs

Old 12-05-2003, 09:54 PM   #6
mymojo

Original Poster
not such luck.

XP detects and installs it, I disable other connections... close firewalls etc (temporarily)... and still can't browse the web, check mail, get on the net... I used DHCP settings, checked everything... tried heaps of options... etc. still nothing.

it just doesn't want to work.

I plugged in the usb adapter again and it works now...

see what I have to deal with here?

oh, and btw when I installed Red Hat 9 it auto-detected my internet connection (usb adapter one).... but I deleted it from my HD and I have bandwidth limits, etc... I really don't want to download another 3 cds.. and I don't want to use redhat...

Last edited by mymojo; 12-05-2003 at 09:58 PM.

Old 12-05-2003, 11:39 PM   #7
burnpile

I've been researching this a bit.
In kernel 2.4.22 and later there is a driver built in to the kernel for this device. In USB devices/USB Network Adaptors section the first two selections (Pegasus II based and Realtek 8150 ) are the pertinant ones. I assume Im finding references to both because of a chip change in the device.

http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3...1/7/0/6300520/
Has a patch for kernel 2.2.20 to use these devices.

Are these devices compiled into your kernel or compiled as modules?

As far as *why* the pci nic won't communicate with the dsl modem, lets shift focus away from that issue and try to tackle your original question about the USB nic.

Don't get frustrated as this is a solvable problem. Red Hat solves it by compiling everything into the kernel or as a module, where as Vector probably takes a slimmer approach to default kernel configuration. Red Hat proved it will work if the driver gets loaded up.

I'm snowed in here and will probably be fooling on the pc all day tomorrow, so holler here and we can try to get it sorted.

Old 12-06-2003, 01:25 AM   #8
mymojo

Original Poster
Thanks for the support burnpile!

I don't know what is compiled in the kernel... is there a way of checking? Devices compiled or modules? No idea... I just followed the installer...

Yeah, I think it's because it's a slim distro... I want to download Slack... but I want to make sure I can get a net connection the "hard" way first... I don't like wasting bandwidth... (I'm capped at 3gb/month)

I like Vector for now, for tweaking around and getting aquainted with it. I will move onto Slack 9.1 in a few weeks if all goes well with Vector net connection.

Old 12-06-2003, 09:02 PM   #9
mymojo

Original Poster
How would I compile stuff in my kernel or as modules? would I compile that patch into it?

I like it how linux doesn't snow job me (unlike another os), but I still need someone to guide me through!

Old 12-06-2003, 10:03 PM   #10
burnpile

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122

This is a step by step to recompile the kernel in Vector Linux. It's a good read.

Here's a quick thing to look at first though:

The only thing you need to check/change for this would be in the USB Devices section, near the bottom where it says USB Network Adapters. The entries "Pegasus II Based" and "RealTek 8150" need to be either compiled in or selected as modules.

To check this, log into the command line as root and enter this
Code:
cd /usr/src/linux
make xconfig
This will open a very intuitive gui for configuring the kernel. Be careful you don't save any changes if you're just looking.

Last edited by burnpile; 12-06-2003 at 10:04 PM.

Old 12-06-2003, 10:38 PM   #11
mymojo

Original Poster
error:

make: *** no rule to make target xconfig. stop.

Old 12-06-2003, 11:39 PM   #12
burnpile

no problemo....just means you don't have the full tcl kits installed. change it to
make menuconfig

Old 12-07-2003, 12:01 AM   #13
mymojo

Original Poster
error:

make: *** no rule to make target menuconfig. stop.

should I just download Slackware 9.1?

Old 12-07-2003, 01:19 AM   #14
burnpile

arrrgh. I'm pretty sure menuconfig is curses based (text color rendering). Why it won't work is beyond me. Time to get a Vector Guru.... I think you should post in the Vector forum and link back to this thread. Ask for an expert right in your post title and they will answer.
As for downloading Slack 9.1, if you do the only thing on the 2nd CD is KDE. If you are planning on using a different window manager you don't need it. Gnome, fluxbox, blackbox, Ice, and XFCE are all on the first CD. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but this is beyond my knowledge of Vector Linux.

Old 12-07-2003, 01:58 AM   #15
mymojo

Original Poster
I think it's time to give Slackware 9.1 a shot..

Though, I do want to sort this out, because I was quite fond of it..

/me heads towards Vector forum

Last edited by mymojo; 12-07-2003 at 02:00 AM.