LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Mandriva
User Name
Password
Mandriva This Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-30-2003, 10:44 PM   #1
vwracer41
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question Setserial command not working under Mandrake 9.1

I've been able to configure my modem using the "setserial" command in Redhat 8 and Suse 8.2. I'm now trying to do the same with Mandrake 9.1. I get "command not found". What's up with that? --I'm fairly new to linux.

Old 12-01-2003, 12:40 AM   #2
paul.nel

Distribution: Gentoo, Redhat 9, SuSE 9.0, 9.2, Win XP

Rep: Reputation: 15
Are you logged in as root?

p.n

Old 12-01-2003, 01:16 AM   #3
vwracer41
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Yes, I have tried using the command logged in as root. I'm trying to see what resources are assigned to /dev/ttyS4 using "setserial /dev/ttyS4". This method worked with Suse and RH. Is there another way to view the resources assigned here? Also, I can found no help or info for the setserial command...seems strange, but is there a package that I'm missing? All other commands work fine.

Thanks

Old 12-01-2003, 04:53 AM   #4
stv_t

Distribution: Mandrake 9.1, Mandrake 9.2, Redhat 9.0

Hi,
'Setserial' does ont get loaded by default in Mandrake so it sounds as though it has not been loaded onto the system. Go into the "Packaging" option under 'configuration' and select 'Install Software' You will need to enter the root password if you are not logged in as root. Search for 'setserial' in the 'Find' box. Select the package, hit install and insert the correct cd when asked. When finished 'setserial' should be available in '/bin'

Stv T

Old 12-01-2003, 01:50 PM   #5
insomnesiac
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mandrake 9.1

i had the same problem before under mandrake 9.1.

here's the trick, under mandrake 9.1 you have to use 'set serial' instead of 'setserial'.
seems odd to have a space there, but it worked for me.

you're welcome.

Old 12-01-2003, 04:43 PM   #6
vwracer41
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thank you both for your input. I don't immediately have time to look into the issue, but I'll get back on it ASAP and let you know what happens. Thanks!

Old 12-02-2003, 04:47 AM   #7
stv_t

Distribution: Mandrake 9.1, Mandrake 9.2, Redhat 9.0

Hi,
Not sure that insomnesiac is correct about that. Having a space in the command turns it into a 'set' command with an argument of 'serial'. All this should do is try to set a shell environment variable and not return any information. However loading the setserial rpm then typing

prompt> setserial /dev/ttyS0
returns the following
/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4

Stv T

Old 12-02-2003, 11:40 AM   #8
insomnesiac
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mandrake 9.1

stv_t, i know !!exactly!! what you mean. i was very frustrated not being able to get my modem working, when i knew it was supported. that's when i tried using 'set serial' while just screwing around with it. i make no promises, but i don't know why it wouldn't work for someone else using mandrake 9.1 when i've used that command several times after reinstalling mandrake 9.1.

btw: i used 'setserial' without the space under red hat before i got mandrake 9.1, but for whatever reason, it didn't seem to want to work under mandrake.

Old 12-02-2003, 02:32 PM   #9
vwracer41
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Installing the "setserial" RPM worked for me. I tried using "set serial", but got nothing. Anyway, I found that my modem's resources were already assigned to ttyS4. I did some more reading and created a link from ttyS4 - /dev/modem. That worked just fine. Thanks!