LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-26-2003, 07:36 PM   #1
Scifience
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Radeon 9800 on SuSE 9.0

I just installed SuSE 9.0 and downloaded the FireGL drivers from ATI's website. The installer informs me that I need to build a customized kernel module, which I have done successfully previously. When attempting to run the script to compile the module, it spits out this error:
Code:
alopa:/home/awarofka # cd /lib/modules/fglrx
alopa:/lib/modules/fglrx # cd build_mod
alopa:/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod # ./make.sh
ATI module generator V 2.0
==========================
initializing...
Error:
XFree86 drm includes at /lib/modules/2.4.21-144-default/build/include/../drivers/char/drm do not fit this driver.
This driver is designed to only work with X4.1.0 or higher.
You can match this by getting Linux kernel 2.4.8 or higher.
I have checked my version of X and it is 4.3. Any ideas on why it refuses to compile the module?

I double-checked and I did download the correct version of the driver. The 2D support is working fine.

Old 11-27-2003, 11:16 AM   #2
sirra462

Rep: Reputation: 15
I am having a similar problem and it is really frustrating. Suse has an fglrx driver on their ftp server. This one supposedly works. I have had no luck with the ati drivers, they are vague. Hopefully someone can help us out. I also have an Nforce 2 chipset. Being on the cutting edge in hardware is nice, but has its drawbacks as I am seeing.

Old 11-27-2003, 02:09 PM   #3
meko
LQ Newbie

I have the exact same problem. I downloaded the supplementry drivers from suse, and while they seem to install/compile properly, I am still unable to get 3d acceleration enabled. I keep getting an error that it is impossible with my card.
Does anyone have a 9800pro working with suse 9.0? Can it be done? lol.
I'm going to do a fresh install again and this time only try using the suse drivers, but I have doubts that it will work.

Old 11-27-2003, 02:56 PM   #4
mr_smang
LQ Newbie

I have the 3D acceleration impossible thingy too but with Radeon 9200 SE, its so frustrating.

I've had so much trouble with linux, downloaded and tried mandrake and red hat, both of which just felt messy, so I bought SuSE9 pro, so far this the most major annoying thing.

Old 11-27-2003, 07:27 PM   #5
sirra462

Okay I am pretty sure that I got it working, here is what I did:

download [I}frglx.rpm [/I] and km_fglrx.rpm from
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/sup...90/fglrx/3.2.8

now delete any ATI rpms you may have installed (use rpm -e or YaST, rpm -e didn't work for me, I had to use YaST)
***NOTE*** You need kernel-source package installed on your system for this to work, this does not come with SuSE 9.0 personal (I couldn't find it) but you can get this from SuSE's ftp server.
here: ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/sup.../kernel-source
BTW: I thought it was against GPL to not include this with a distro???

now follow these instructions:
SuSe's instructions

1) Update XFree86 drivers

rpm -Uhv fglrx.rpm

2) Update kernel module

* prepare kernel module build

- install 'kernel-source' package with YaST
- configure kernel sources; usually done with the following commands:

cd /usr/src/linux
make cloneconfig && make dep

* install kernel module source

rpm -Uhv km_fglrx.rpm

* compile kernel module sources

cd /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx
make -f Makefile.module
make -f Makefile.module install

3) Configure X11

sax2 -r -m 0=fglrx -b /usr/X11R6/lib/sax/profile/firegl

4) Enable 3D support

* edit /etc/X11/XF86Config with your favorite editor
I like pico, because it is very easy to use
- add

Load "dri"

to Section "Module"

5) Known Issues

- driver only supports 24bit color depth
- enabling of 3D support through SaX2 does not work

The last part "enabling of 3D support through SaX2 does not work" means that in YaST it will still say that 3D hardware acceleration is "unavailable"

I believe that mine is working correctly, I am currently getting return to castle wolfenstein configured to test it out. I don't know any of the OpenGL test commands, please post them if you know. The ATI commands were deleted with the package, so I have no way of knowing if 3D hardware acceleration is working or not, but my XFree86Config file shows "frglx" as my driver and dri is loaded as stated above. I would assume that this is working. I am on it though if it is not a solution.

Last edited by sirra462; 11-27-2003 at 07:33 PM.

Old 11-29-2003, 12:18 PM   #6
sirra462

Okay, after many test and config file edits, I conclude that this didn't work. Someone else have a radeon 9800 with 3d support working under SuSE 9? If so how did you do it?

Old 12-08-2003, 12:44 PM   #7
Madrigar
LQ Newbie

Distribution: SuSE 9.0

I have been trying to get my Radeon9800 Pro to work also (all last night was nforce2 ethernet port, but that's a different topic). I did everything listed on SuSE's site for the driver, but also do not get 3D to work. However, I have found elsewhere, that to use 3D the user needs to be a member of group video. If not a member of the group video, 3D will not work! Go figure... Gonna try that right when I get home.

As far as testing 3D, use "3Ddiag" tool. Can also use glxgears, tuxracer, or armagetron. I believe there are GL specific screen-savers in KDE too. Use glxinfo to see if 3D is enabled (direct rendering). Online doc supposedly can be found here: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/README.DRI (for package XFree86-doc)

There is also a log at /var/log/XFree86.0.log

Old 12-13-2003, 12:50 PM   #8
xandman
LQ Newbie

Radeon and 3D support

I have the same problem with 3D support, though I do have the fglrx driver working with good 2D performance. (I followed the README off the website which is what is posted up above.) It seems the major issue is not with the card but with different motherboards. (or perhaps it is a problem with the how the ATI driver interacts with the motherboards . ..) regardless here is the root (no pun intended) of the problem.

The 2.4 series of kernels does not recognize AGP correctly on almos all VIA chipset motherboards, Nforce motherboards, and probably a few others. Therefore the ATI driver fails when it tries to use AGPGART from the kernel. I have heard that this is cleared up in 2.6 version of the kernel, and there are few distros with kernel patches that seem to support VIA motherboards (I know Gentoo is one . . .), but my 3d performance was still pretty slow.

You could always try out one the beta versions of the 2.6 kernel and see if works . . . I plan on doing so when I have some time to troubleshoot.

Old 12-13-2003, 01:09 PM   #9
Madrigar
LQ Newbie

Actually, I have 3D working on the 9800 Pro now with full OpenGL support and agpgart on SuSE 9.0 and the Athlon kernel patch. Do a search, and there is another thread with details on setting it up, and it is much more involved than SuSE says on their instructions (like manual build and enabling agpgart). If you can't find the post, respond back here and I will put a link to it later.

Old 12-13-2003, 02:07 PM   #10
xandman
LQ Newbie

Radeon 9800 and Suse 9.0

I think I found it on rage3d.com, for anyone else who needs to get this working, here is the url:

Rage3D (for ATI 9800)

Hope it helps.

Old 12-13-2003, 04:49 PM   #11
Madrigar
LQ Newbie

Here is the one I was thinking of. I know for sure it works, as I used it the other day...

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hreadid=122514

Now, if I could just get the FTP site at Loki to load so I can get the Linux libraries for Unreal Tournament..........

Old 12-14-2003, 03:55 AM   #12
xandman
LQ Newbie

Smile Radeon 9800 and Suse 9.0

The link you posted works perfectly for nforce2 motherboards. Unfortunately I have a VIA KT400 board, so the link I posted works for me - so for those of you with nforce chipsets follow Madrigar's link, those with the KT400 chipset follow my link and everything will work!

Xandman