LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions
User Name
Password
Linux - Distributions This forum is for Distribution specific questions.
Red Hat, Slackware, Debian, Novell, LFS, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Fedora - the list goes on and on... Note: An (*) indicates there is no official participation from that distribution here at LQ.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-04-2003, 04:24 AM   #1
Aquarian
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Red Hat

Rep: Reputation: 0
Which LINUX distribution i should prefer for my Project report ??

We have come to a problem that we have to develope a report on a network Operating system ... We prefer to use Linux. But now we are facing problem that which flavor should we use other that *RedHat and *Slackware. Also tell me how we categorize FreeBSD is it a Linux flavour or Unix. So which one is better FreeBSD, Debian or Mandrake which could also help us in future when we use it ...

Old 11-04-2003, 05:43 AM   #2
jkobrien

Distribution: Slackware, LFS, Ubuntu, RedHat, Slamd64

Rep: Reputation: 30
Look here for information on FreeBSD and here for information on the various Linux distros.

There is no best Linux distribution. I would suggest that you write your report on Linux in general and include a short section describing how there are different distributions available. The link above should give you plenty of material.

Last edited by jkobrien; 11-05-2003 at 06:00 AM.

Old 11-04-2003, 10:23 AM   #3
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Please do not post the same thread in more than one forum. Picking the most relevant forum and posting it once there makes it easier for other members to help you and keeps the discussion all in one place.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/rules.php

Old 11-05-2003, 12:18 AM   #4
Aquarian
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Cool

Sorry Trickykid !!!
Actually i m new therefore i dont know that so next time i will try to avoid that ..

Old 11-05-2003, 12:34 AM   #5
Aquarian
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
jkobrien : You have not understood my problem . I have to choose a distribution not generally LINUX ..

Also tell me that whether Suse is better than Red hat .I am very depressed because i cant choose between Debian, Suse and Mandrake
please solve my problem !!

Old 11-05-2003, 06:01 AM   #6
jkobrien

Distribution: Slackware, LFS, Ubuntu, RedHat, Slamd64

Rep: Reputation: 30
Hi Aquarian,

I think I did understand your question and I tried to give you an answer. I gave you a link that compares all these distributions, I'm not going to summarise all the information available there.

Is your project assignment to report on any one distribution or to report which is "the best"? If the latter, I repeat from my previous mail: "There is no best distribution", if the former, just pick one and don't worry about it any more. You can only solve your problem yourself by reading a little (a little, not a lot!) on each distribution and making your own mind up.

You also said you wanted help to decide what to use in your future (future career, I presume). Well, many people do have a favourite, that's true. If you want to hear about their reasons, just search this forum and read the hundreds of posts on the subject.

Also, if you have some time, access to a good network connection, and some diskspace, you can download two or three and try them yourself.

Good luck with that,

John

Last edited by jkobrien; 11-05-2003 at 08:38 AM.