LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-01-2003, 03:36 PM   #1
asianboi2k

Rep: Reputation: 15
convert rpm to sourceH

Hi I am trying to convert an RPM file to a souce file, can anyone tell me how to do this? The resaon is because I use to use Kinternet on SUSE 8.2 since I have currently have moved over to Gentoo I can't find a source package for kinternet. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 11-01-2003, 03:40 PM   #2
linksocc

Distribution: Mandrake 9.0 1st/9.1 2nd/Gentoo 1.4 now

Rep: Reputation: 30
that is not posible

Old 11-01-2003, 04:14 PM   #3
asianboi2k

Original Poster
if it isn't possible then how did this person do it?

Quote:
ftp://ftp.uni-bremen.de/pub/mirrors/...42-173.src.rpm

I extracted the source tarball from the rpm, and got it to build quite easily (I only needed to emerge sgmltools-lite).

And it seems to run, only I have not yet figured out how to tell kinternet to start a connection, since there's no smpppd.
Suggestions are welcome.
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.p...ight=kinternet

Old 11-01-2003, 04:18 PM   #4
contrasutra
LQ Guru

Distribution: Arch Linux

Rep: Reputation: 47
RPMs are binary files. They have already been compiled.

You can't un-compile something back to source.

Old 11-01-2003, 05:30 PM   #5
Starchild

Distribution: Fedora 7

Not all rpms are binaries. The source rpms aren't. Those ending with with .src.rpm are source rpms.
Personally, I havent figured out any good or neat way of extracting the tarballs. The only way I know is doing:
rpmbuild --rebuild file.src.rpm

and abort with Ctrl-C when it has gotten so far that it has extracted the tarball.

I don't know how your rpm build enviroment is set up, but my sources extracted this way end up in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/

Good luck

Old 11-01-2003, 08:47 PM   #6
Eqwatz

Distribution: Slack Puppy Debian DSL--at the moment.

Maximum RPM comes in the DOCS ISO download when you are downloading the files to burn RedHat disks.

It is long, but worth reading.

As is the Linux installation Guide--also included.

As is the Linux Customization Guide---Also included.

And others as well.

I dis-remember the command, but I think if you have a source rpm, the command is rpm2cpio. If I got it wrong, read Maximum RPM.

There is way too much to remember with the internals of any O.S., the best I can hope for is to maintain a library of documentation and know where to look it up. (Free docs first. I have literally hundreds of dollars invested in a linux library on paper, most of which goes un-used unless I hose both systems. I usually end up on-line. [Which is stupid in many cases because I have local copies of most of the on-line docs.]

Old 12-17-2003, 12:26 AM   #7
AndyRuddock
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian / Ubuntu / CentOS / Android

Rep: Reputation: 0
Checkout the alien package converter from http://www.kitenet.net/programs/alien/
Great for converting between package formats.

Old 12-17-2003, 04:19 PM   #8
Eqwatz

Distribution: Slack Puppy Debian DSL--at the moment.

If I remember correctly, the package to which you refer is one of the extensive alternatives available to you from the KDE Desktop. Some people don't include all of the alternatives in an attempt to cure some of the "bloat" in a "full" installation of KDE.

Unlike much of the "Windows" interface, you can actively remove (or add)any component which you do not use in any of the applications in Linux. Unfortunately, this also means having to take the responsibility to learn about the dependancies of each component you choose to have. You have to come up with your own: getting exactly what you want -vs- how much of a pain-in-the-ass it is to learn how to accomplish it--ratio. I have a low pain-tolerance, but I have been known to dink with kernel sources to get what I want--if I get pissed enough. (Usually, the next patch available does exactly the same things, was released before I "dinked", and I had been too lazy to do a search to find out. I can be pretty dense sometimes.)

The only other comment I have is that most of the applications found on any version of linux including the kernel are available as "vanilla" packages.

These packages are normally the source-code for the application which has been compressed using tar and b-zip (or b-zip-2). This is known as a "tar-ball".

Generally, doing a search from http://www.google.com/linux using the name of the package or application will give you an address for download.

You will want to do some reading on your specific distribution on any changes you may need to make in the "make-file" of the package when you expand it, and the suggested location to expand the package.

Also, most packages have documentation located within them--documentation written by the package maintainers available no where else:
Package documentation supersedes any other docs for the application.
Most often, there is a set of instructions on how to install and tweak your package for use with specific distributions and/or desktop configurations. This is the best means of getting the highest performance and the greatest stability for your Linux installation.

/* In the end, there really isn't such a thing as a "distribution". Why? Because you will customize Linux to your own specific needs and desires--you are only limited to the extent of the dependancies the packages you choose. You will, in essence, "roll-your-own" distribution.

The only situation in which you will not do any customization is if it is a server set-up for a business which has: No policies in place for appropriate equipment-specific log-books; no training; no trained staff; and no budget. (That situation applies to "Windows" installations as well.) Then, the emphasis is upon back-ups, maintenance, and hopefully--security. (Which really involves at least some custom work regardless of the O.S.-- but try to explain that to a pointy-haired-boss.)*/

There is a tremendous amount of information on how to expand and install different applications from source out on the net (And here on this site if you do a search).

Never give up after one search or one explanation.

Linux-users all over the world are constantly writing guides and tutorials on how to do things. Each person approaches the task in a slightly different way--or explains the process in different words and terms.

Try to always find and read three of these guides or tutorials before you attempt something new. If you still don't "get" it; chances are you need to go back and learn something.

No matter what it is you may want to do in Linux, someone somewhere has written down instructions of how it is done, the hardest part is learning how to search.

LOL