LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-17-2001, 01:32 PM   #1
gui10

Distribution: enigma, slack8

Rep: Reputation: 30
sound!

how do i get sound working on my slack8 box?

is it something to do with modprobe?

i know previously it was sndconfig... but that's kinda not available anymore... (and i think there was someone who said it was too primitive or something...)

would appreciate help on this...

Old 12-17-2001, 02:16 PM   #2
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
With Slackware 8, it's best to compile support for your sound card into the kernel, and then set up module configuration for it.

Old 12-17-2001, 09:09 PM   #3
gui10

Distribution: enigma, slack8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
oh yay!

so... how do i do that? (from beginning to end?)

Old 12-17-2001, 11:05 PM   #4
linuxcool
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 47
I believe the file you're looking for is called ' /etc/rc.d/rc.modules '. I can't remember where it is. If you look into it, you'll see somewhere in it lines for installing sound modules. See if yours is listed. If it isn't, just use the lines as a guide to create your own entry in the file. That's what I did with zipslack. My line looks like this:

/sbin/modprobe sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 mpu_io=0x330

Last edited by linuxcool; 12-17-2001 at 11:50 PM.

Old 12-18-2001, 12:59 AM   #5
taz.devil

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally posted by gui10
oh yay!

so... how do i do that? (from beginning to end?)
Best thing to do with Slack is recompile the kernel at least once anyhow to your needs. You may end up leaving your sound as a module or not but either way, it's a good idear. The main steps are: make menuconfig, make dep, make bzImage, make modules, make modules_install and with Slack, istead of copying the new kernel and updateing lilo manually and so forth, do make bzlilo and just reboot. Make carefull notice of what options you make modules. Most can but some major ones cannot e.g. ext2 filesystem. The /etc/rc.d/rc.modules is the right file to uncomment your sound cards driver to load on startup. Depends on which card you have.