LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General > LinuxAnswers Discussion
User Name
Password
LinuxAnswers Discussion This forum is to discuss articles posted to LinuxAnswers.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-11-2003, 08:28 PM   #1
mhearn
LQ Guru

Distribution: Fedora Core 4

Rep: Reputation: 57
Post DISCUSSION: Playing DVD and videos

This thread is to discuss the article titled: Playing DVD and videos

Old 09-09-2003, 01:42 AM   #2
C0n5truc7
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Mandrake 9.1 comes with Xine as a video/media player, however, for dvd playback, i decided to go with Ogle. I downloaded and installed RPM's to get Ogle to play dvd's (libdvdcss-1.2.8-1, libdvdread-0.9.4, ogle-0.9.1, and ogle_gui-0.9.1), but after each rpm installed (successfully) and i type in "Ogle" at the command line as root, the player doesnt come up. The command line just returns "command not found" when i hit enter. Anyway i could get dvd playback to work on my Mandrake box? Help would be appreciated.

Old 09-09-2003, 03:51 AM   #3
acid_kewpie

Distribution: Gentoo, RHEL, Fedora, Centos

Rep: Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985
this thread is not for getting help, it is for discussing the content of the above article.

But... it's "ogle" not "Ogle"... case sensitive

Old 09-09-2003, 03:53 AM   #4
acid_kewpie

Rep: Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985
as for the article... the -vop option in mplayer is not needed. if you are running fullscreen, w and e keys will zoom upto 4:3 aspect, cropping automatically for pan&scan viewing

also the -dvd syntax in mplayer has now been removed, so this doe not work anymore, since 1.0pre1

Last edited by acid_kewpie; 09-09-2003 at 03:56 AM.

Old 01-26-2004, 03:19 PM   #5
disco rugby
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mandrake 10 Community, SuSE 9.0 pro, Lindows 4.5

"I personally recommend Totem, which can be found at http://www.hadess.net/totem.php3 -... Apparently it works OK on SuSE."

OK. Been to the site, but as a bloodied beginner I have no clue as to which one I should choose.

The reason why I wound up look at this article is because my brand new Suse 9 prof has decided to nuke the Ricoh MP5240A-SK(DVD + RW etc gizmo sold only in Europe. In YaST under CD-ROM Drives it doen't find any. When you click on the icon it says its not a block device. Any ideas?

Oh yeah and it won't shut off the computer when you log off. I've contacted the customer support people via e-mail on everything but the shutting off thing (I had a longer list of things). Let's just say that I'm not too thrilled with SuSE 9 prof just now. Anyone out there have an idea that could get me liking little Suzy again?

Cheers,
Rich

Old 01-26-2004, 03:40 PM   #6
acid_kewpie

this really is not related to the subject of this thread, you should start a new thread explaining as much as you can about each specfic problem you are having.

Old 01-26-2004, 04:17 PM   #7
disco rugby
LQ Newbie

POint taken Chris...mostly
" OK. Been to the site, but as a bloodied beginner I have no clue as to which one I should choose." Was sort of asking 'ok, which one do I chose on the site recommended given that I am using SuSE 9.0.' The rest of the message, you are absolutely correct and am on my way to formulating the question as soon as I can decipher the German Handbook enough to attempt to ask 'sumpthin smat' along those lines.
cheers,
rich in Hamburg

Old 02-10-2004, 10:51 AM   #8
czarherr

Distribution: Slackware 14

Rep: Reputation: 32
Nothing beats Xine, of course, in my opinion, at least. I have yet to run into a media format it wont play fast and well. Even windows media streams faster in xine much faster than it ever did in windows media player on the same connection. It does take a bit of configuration though, and if you modify your vid card in most any way, it will likely adversly affect xine (when i fixed the ati driver as described by jbarto, xine showed everything with an intense lime green tint until i found a more suitable video driver for it to use). Other than that, once you have it up and going, its very powerful, even lets you use it over a network.

Old 03-12-2004, 03:45 AM   #9
cjp

Distribution: SuSE 9.0

Rep: Reputation: 15
I have SuSE 9 and it works fine for me. Anyway, on default, Xine in SuSE is not able to play encrypted DVDs. I tried deCSS, but it failed to decode one of the keys (the disc key?) of my Matrix DVD. Then I tried libcss (the name was something like that, I'm not sure). SuSE's Xine has a possibility to use this lib, but till now it doesn't work.

Is it possible to recompile Xine from the sources on the SuSE 9 DVD to get it working? I don't want to download other Xine sources, as I have a 56k6 modem.

Old 03-12-2004, 04:21 AM   #10
disco rugby
LQ Newbie

SuSE 9

Hi CJP,

I've been round and round with SuSE 9 and in the end did a major reinstall and deleted all of the packages i had loaded up in my attempts to get DVD video. Now, I'm not sure exactly what worked, but when I just opened a terminal and typed in 'xine' the programme started up and I watched the first five minutes of Rocky Horror. My old AMD K-6 (2) 533 is a bit on the slow side, but it worked. Anyway, just a suggestion. Good luck getting it going.

Cheers,
Discorugby (for the masses)

Old 03-12-2004, 11:43 AM   #11
czarherr

Distribution: Slackware 14

Rep: Reputation: 32
just download the libdvdcss package for xine to play dvd

Old 04-24-2004, 08:38 PM   #12
veritas

Distribution: Ubuntu Server, Slackware, Red Hat 6.1

Rep: Reputation: 30
So glad I found this guide. I actually had the dvd playing before I found the guide, but CPU usage was at 100% during playback. Thanks for posting info about the "hdparm" command. Dropped the percentage considerably.

Great guide.

Old 05-18-2004, 02:38 PM   #13
gbb123

Distribution: Suse 9.0 Pro

Hello,

I followed the command line instructions as stated in the article and I get the following:

linux:/home/gbb123 # file /dev/dvd
/dev/dvd: symbolic link to `sr0'
linux:/home/gbb123 # hdparm -d1 /dev/sr0
/dev/sr0 not supported by hdparm

Does anyone know what the problem is here?

Old 05-18-2004, 03:52 PM   #14
gbb123

Distribution: Suse 9.0 Pro

encrypted file

Is it possible to use the method described in this article to play encrypted files as well? I downloaded an encrypted file and I need to be able to play it, but xine keeps giving me an error. Im hoping this article or someone participating in this thread could help me out. Here is the output of the error I get with xine when I try to play the encrypted file:

"The source seems encrypted, and can't be read. (Media stream scrambled/encrypted)"

Thanks for any help,

Garrett

Old 09-03-2004, 11:41 AM   #15
leopardsag
LQ Newbie

Distribution: linux red hat 9

Talking Video and audio problem

Hi all, i have jumped from windows to linux.Well i cant go back now. Its really great. Plz dont mind may be this will irritate u bcoz i am going to ask basic questions but i need ur asssistance and guidence. My problems are that is there this kind of matter that different kinds of players are for different kind of sessions i.e gnome and kde etc. And well is there a matter that b4 u play mp3,avi,mpg or dat file,u have to configure the codecs settings for each type of file . I use Mplayer and using mandrake 10. Coz sometimes dat file playes and the second time dont run. I dont know whats the matter. and there in audio , video settings of player are many codecs lists , if i select other then mplayer doesnt play audio or video. And plzzzz i am searching for window emulator . I have found wine but if i install any programme by it,it simply dont do anything and if it installes any programme then just accept / distination directory and after installation i cant search the file that from where the newly installion programme will run . Also from where can i find other emulators like win4lin 3.0 and how to install a programme by this. Just click install.exe and open and run it with wine ??? but where it will go and from where can be newely installed programmes by wine be accessed . plzzzz help me . I am crazy about linux.Also for network is samba necessary to be installed for network access if my computer is a client? where is win4lin 3.0 and how to install it and how to install from it windows softares. Regards. javed