LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-25-2009, 09:38 AM   #1
anthonylane13
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware 12.1

Rep: Reputation: 1
Gimp dependency error and other problems

I think I've broken my slackware install!!

Background info - may be relevant
I'm using 12.1 - I installed it yesterday and it seemed fine, but I had it set up to run apache & mysql at start. The I downloaded xampp and couldn't get it working because it conflicted with the other installation of apache. So I reinstalled the OS, but, I chose not to format my disk at the beginning, so the upshot was I still had my user account and personal files after installation. I did download xampp and get it to work though.

The problem is I can't get GIMP to install. I downloaded 2.6.6 tar.gz, but when I run ./configure it stops. The first time was because I didn't have babl, so I downloaded babl-0.0.22 and did the following:
Code:
tar -xvf babl-0.0.22
cd babl-0.0.22
./configure
make
sudo make install
then I ran ./ configure in the gimp directory
This time it stopped and told me I needed gegl. So I downloaded gegl-0.0.22 and installed it using the same method as for babl.

Now when I run ./configure in the gimp directory, it is telling me:
Quote:
checking for BABL... yes
checking for GEGL... configure: error: Package requirements (gegl >= 0.0.18) were not met:

No package 'gegl' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables GEGL_CFLAGS
and GEGL_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.
Not only that, but I seem to have broken firefox too - after I downloaded nedit, I suddenly found that it would not let me download anything else. If I click on a download link, nothing happens. All other browsing works as normal... wtf? Seamonkey is fine though, but I'd much rather use firefox.

Sorry for the very long list of troubles. Thing is, I really like slackware so far, but I'm finding it really hard to set up compared with other linuxes. Anyone feel my pain here?

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
monsm

Distribution: Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 37
My Gentoo package manager (portage) tells me Babl depend on >=media-libs/gegl-0.0.22. The Gegl web site is here: http://www.gegl.org/

Not sure what your Firefox problem is though.

Mons

Old 03-25-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
BCarey

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Why are you installing different versions of all of this software when it is already on your system? A full install of Slackware contains apache, mysql, php, perl, gimp, firefox, etc. It is already all set up. If you need to rebuild one of these elements, then you modify the SlackBuild and source that comes with the distribution. So the advice part is to reinstall and use the original slackware packages.

Brian

Old 03-25-2009, 10:43 AM   #4
cwizardone
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Slackware64-current with "True Multilib" and KDE4Town.

Rep: Reputation: 7273Reputation: 7273Reputation: 7273Reputation: 7273Reputation: 7273Reputation: 7273Reputation: 7273Reputation: 7273Reputation: 7273Reputation: 7273Reputation: 7273
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCarey View Post
Why are you installing different versions of all of this software when it is already on your system? A full install of Slackware contains apache, mysql, php, perl, gimp, firefox, etc. It is already all set up....
As a user (and fan) of The GIMP I'll throw in my two cents worth and say it "might" be because the version of The GIMP in Slackware is OLD and out of date. The version of The GIMP included in Slackware 12.2 is 2.4.7. The current stable version of The GIMP is 2.6.6. There have been some major improvements to The GIMP since the 2.4 series and well worth
taking the trouble to install the latest version.
Why Slackware is so far behind the curve on The GIMP, is, well...I don't really know. Maybe they don't consider it important or they don't have the time?

Old 03-25-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
nerix
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware-current

Quote:
by cwizardone
Why Slackware is so far behind the curve on The GIMP, is, well...I don't really know. Maybe they don't consider it important or they don't have the time?
You can obtain the latest version of the GIMP (2.6.6) from Slackware-current repositories.
(ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/slackwar...slackware/xap/)

or directly download Gimp-2.6.5 binary and its dependencies from Robby's repository.
GIMP - babl - gegl

Last edited by nerix; 03-25-2009 at 11:10 AM.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
titopoquito

Distribution: Slackware64 14.2 and current, SlackwareARM current

Rep: Reputation: 145Reputation: 145
I think you need more than just babl and gegl, intltool if I remember right ... You can get all Slackbuilds from Slackware current: http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-current/source/
Babl, gegl and intltool are in the "l" series, gimp in "xap".

Old 03-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
BCarey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerix View Post
You can obtain the latest version of the GIMP (2.6.6) from Slackware-current repositories.
(ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/slackwar...slackware/xap/)

or directly download Gimp-2.6.5 binary and its dependencies from Robby's repository.
GIMP - babl - gegl
In general you shouldn't just install binaries from -current onto an older system, as they have been built with dependencies that may or may not be on the older system or compatible with the older system. It would be better to grab the source and Slackbuild from -current and try to build it on your system.

...or use a trusted source like Robby's repository, as you suggest.

Quote:
As a user (and fan) of The GIMP I'll throw in my two cents worth and say it "might" be because the version of The GIMP in Slackware is OLD and out of date. The version of The GIMP included in Slackware 12.2 is 2.4.7. The current stable version of The GIMP is 2.6.6. There have been some major improvements to The GIMP since the 2.4 series and well worth
taking the trouble to install the latest version.
Sure there are reasons to upgrade certain software to newer versions. It's just that a surprising number of people new to Slack don't seem to be aware of what's on their system. The issue of borking apache, or mysql, or php, or other programs because of overwriting other dependencies by installing xampp on a Slack system has come up a number of times before.

Brian

Old 03-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
anthonylane13
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware 12.1

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies.

Quote:
My Gentoo package manager (portage) tells me Babl depend on >=media-libs/gegl-0.0.22. The Gegl web site is here: http://www.gegl.org/
I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean. I downloaded gegl from gegl.org, but gimp didn't recognise it...

Quote:
Why are you installing different versions of all of this software when it is already on your system? A full install of Slackware contains apache, mysql, php, perl, gimp, firefox, etc. It is already all set up. If you need to rebuild one of these elements, then you modify the SlackBuild and source that comes with the distribution. So the advice part is to reinstall and use the original slackware packages.
Thank you for posting this! I have a very good answer to your question: it's because I don't know what I'm doing, and I'm not at all used to slackware. Also, I got 12.1 from a magazine disk which only included the .iso's for disks 1 & 2. Because I didn't see GIMP in the xfce menus, I didn't know it was even there. A quick trip to /usr/bin has cleared that up though
As for apache, mysql php etc being on the system already, the reason I went with xampp is because I don't know how to get it working as separate elements. I had a long poke around in apache and came out more confused than I was to begin with.

I'll take a look at the package files another time, but for now, sorry for the false alarm. I'm off to get on with my work in GIMP!

Thanks again.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #9
BCarey

apache and mysql should work fine together out of the box, as long as you have both services running and have initialized your mysql databases. To get php working with apache, you just need to uncomment the line in /etc/httpd/httpd.conf which says "Include /etc/httpd/mod_php.conf" and restart apache. To get perl working with apache, you need to make sure that the "AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl" line is uncommented (I think it is by default, but I'm not sure) and add ExecCGI to the Options section for any directory you want to use perl scripts in.

There was a somewhat more detailed thread about this posted some time ago on this forum, you may want to search for it.

Brian

Old 03-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #10
em21701

Distribution: Slackware12.2 & Slackware64-current

Rep: Reputation: 40
Thank you, I have been wanting to upgrade to 2.6 for quite some time now, but have been unsuccessful.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:49 AM   #11
rworkman
Slackware Contributor

Rep: Reputation: 1351Reputation: 1351Reputation: 1351Reputation: 1351Reputation: 1351Reputation: 1351Reputation: 1351Reputation: 1351Reputation: 1351Reputation: 1351
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerix View Post
GIMP - babl - gegl
Rather than hotlinking directly to the packages (whose links will be broken after updates), please use the main repo link: http://rlworkman.net/pkgs/