LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-30-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
chandru.in

Rep: Reputation: 30
Question Sound gets stuck while playing Torcs and in OOo

Hi,

When playing Torcs and when opening presentations with sounds effects, my sound system seems to get stuck (starts repeating same noise) and the app crashes.

However, I'm able to play music in Rhythmbox for long time without any problem.

From lspci:

Quote:
00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
From lsmod | grep snd:

Quote:
snd_hda_intel 381488 3
snd_pcm_oss 46848 0
snd_mixer_oss 22784 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 83204 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_dummy 10884 0
snd_seq_oss 38528 0
snd_seq_midi 14336 0
snd_rawmidi 29824 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event 15232 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 57776 7 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer 29960 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 15116 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
snd 63268 16 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_de vice
soundcore 15328 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 16136 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

Old 11-30-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
Lord Ghost

Rep: Reputation: 15
You might help out with a bit more information as to what you're running for your sound setup, however it looks like perhaps you're running OSS?

If so, it does have a 1 program focus for sounds. (As in, you cannot play one sound playing program and then fire up another sound playing program)

I know this may not sound like much of a solution, but depending on what OS you're running, installing ALSA is not too difficult, and runs extremely well on pretty much all platforms.

Even on Ubuntu, I stop PulseAudio from starting up and let ALSA run the whole show.

And I listen to Rhythmbox, play World of Warcraft and even watch youtube videos at the same time, no issues.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Ghost

Old 11-30-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
chandru.in

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ghost View Post
You might help out with a bit more information as to what you're running for your sound setup, however it looks like perhaps you're running OSS?
I have no problems in listening to multiple audio at once. It is just that at times, the sound gets stuck in some kind of infinite loop and the app crashes.

I use Ubuntu 8.10. In the sound settings, even when I selected ALSA for all the items, I still had the same issue. Should I also explicitly stop PulseAudio from starting, beyond just selecting ALSA as the preferred output?

Old 12-01-2008, 02:48 AM   #4
hasanatizaz

Distribution: Redhat and Debian

Rep: Reputation: 35
i have installed this game but my luck it doesnt open :-)

Old 12-01-2008, 08:01 AM   #5
Lord Ghost

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandru.in View Post
I use Ubuntu 8.10. In the sound settings, even when I selected ALSA for all the items, I still had the same issue. Should I also explicitly stop PulseAudio from starting, beyond just selecting ALSA as the preferred output?
I believe that stopping PulseAudio from starting up and giving full control to ALSA will resolve your issues.

This is probably the best howto I've read recently on the step by step procedure. I've followed it myself without any issues.

http://idyllictux.wordpress.com/2008...structive-way/

It's a non-destructive way to remove pulse (as opposed to going apt-get remove)

I hope this helps! Let me know.

Cheers,
Ghost

Old 12-01-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
chandru.in

Original Poster
Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for your help. Creating ~/.openalrc withe the below two lines fixed it. Basically it is supposed to instruct openAL to use Pulseaudio.
Code:
(define devices '(alsa))
(define alsa-device "pulse")
Source: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/...for_PulseAudio

For a system wide change, edit /etc/openal/alsoft.conf and change the device value in the section titled [alsa] as below.
Code:
device = pulse
Ubuntu rocks again.

Last edited by chandru.in; 12-01-2008 at 12:51 PM.