LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-14-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
maestro52

Distribution: Fedora 9

Rep: Reputation: 30
Question selinux refuses to let me add ports

I am totally confused! When I was using FD8 I was able to add ports in Selinux: Network Port. Now I am using FD9 and it will not do so. In fact, selinux in FD8 gave you the ability to remove or add among other variations I cannot even remember and FD9 does not. OH YES, it does pop up a tiny window that implies you can add a port but it then gives error messages when you try to add a port.

EXAMPLE:
libsepol.context_from_record: type webcam_port_t is not defined
libsepol.context_from_record: could not create context structure (Invalid argument).
libsepol.port_from_record: could not create port structure for range 6891:6891 (tcp) (Invalid argument).
libsepol.sepol_port_modify: could not load port range 6891 - 6891 (tcp) (Invalid argument).
libsemanage.dbase_policydb_modify: could not modify record value (Invalid argument).
libsemanage.semanage_base_merge_components: could not merge local modifications into policy (Invalid argument).
/usr/sbin/semanage: Could not add port tcp/6891

I read some previously posted questions others have posted and only one came anywhere near my situation. It had stated that the person was not able to add ports, but after he disabled and then re-enabled selinux he was then able to do so. I, of course, tried to do the above and suddenly all my menus in KDE are mixed with Gnome and some things in the menu are missing. I really do not understand how the menus could have been affected, but selinux still is not permitting me to add ports.

Does anyone have any idea what is happening here?
I am not sure how this would make any difference but I am using an AMD Phenom computer with 2gb memory and as stated Fedora 9.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Unless you are really hardcore about SELinux, I would just recommend disabling it altogether. It seems to cause more headaches than it's worth. I harden and secure my systems without the help of SELinux.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:33 AM   #3
maestro52

Distribution: Fedora 9

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Question Harden and secure without Selinux?

I actually agree with you about disabling selinux, trickykid. That was what I used to do before about halfway through FD8 and then it seemed to work as long as I used it permissibly. Now I guess it is screwed up as bad as usual.

I know this is a little off of my original thread, but it is still related to selinux and security. Forgive me if I should have written a different thread.

In any case, would you be able to give me some advice, possibly even some instructions, about how to harden and secure my computer? I am particularly interested in doing the best I can, as cheaply as I can since I am on a low retirement pension, mostly because two to six weeks ago someone hacked into my computer. Besides crashing my computer, they aslo stole my bank information and somehow directed my bank to add a phone number to my account that was actually a direct computer connection (I called it and got the usual beep shrill type sound when a computer connects.

Happily, I caught it quick enough to change everything, including reinstalling everything on my computer, but whoever has my IP and I practically live in my computer.

Can you help me?

Last edited by maestro52; 07-16-2008 at 01:36 AM.