LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2008, 09:45 AM   #1
mkisow
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 15
Sony Vaio VGN-TZ195N Debian\Lenny 2.6.24 Kernel Suspend/ Resume Backlight Issues

Laptop: Sony Vaio VGN-TZ195N
Dist: Debian\Lenny
Kernel: 2.6.24

Suspend works fine, however when I resume the backlight does not work. I can see a faint image on the screen, and with enough external light I am able to launch a console window and type xset dpms force on, with no luck any suggestions?

Old 07-04-2008, 11:58 PM   #2
salemboot

Distribution: Linux

Rep: Reputation: 36
Thumbs down temporary fix

echo 7 > /sys/class/backlight/sony/brightness
Console terminal (ALT + F7) and type the above.

I can confirm this is a problem with my VAIO VGN-N220E runing Slackware 12.1 .

Ubuntu 8.04 No Problems
Mandriva Spring No Problems

Word to the wise Slack / Debian are not laptop friendly.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:50 PM   #3
stewsutton
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Creating a USB boot disc for FGN-TZ195N

This is the most recent item I've found in this forum that deals with placing a modern linux distro on the Sony Vaio VGN-TZ195N laptop. This is a really nice (tiny but capable) laptop from 2007 that pokes along in running Windows "Pro" but would be nice for a linux distribution. So I am been trying to adapt Rufus to produce a 32GB bootable USB (also a Sony USB stick) for this Sony laptop using the latest Ubuntu release. This may not be doable and I may need to relax back to an earlier linux distribution or a different distribution.

Anybody having any luck with Linux booting from a USB on the Sony Vaio VGN-TZ195N laptop?

Thanks!

-Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkisow View Post
Laptop: Sony Vaio VGN-TZ195N
Dist: Debian\Lenny
Kernel: 2.6.24

Suspend works fine, however when I resume the backlight does not work. I can see a faint image on the screen, and with enough external light I am able to launch a console window and type xset dpms force on, with no luck any suggestions?

Tags
backlight, debian, sony, suspend, vaio