LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password
LQ Suggestions & Feedback Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.
PLEASE READ THIS FORUM - Information and status updates will also be posted here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-14-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
PatrickMay16

Distribution: Debian oldstable

Rep: Reputation: 53
Explanation of warning points? Also moderator question...

Hello there. Sorry if this question has already been answered elsewhere.

I've recieved two infractions over my times in Linuxquestions.org... One was worth 35 points, the other 10 points. Oh, boy! That was a wild ride. I've learned not to repeat such behaviours now. Heh heh heh.
What is the meaning of the points? I assume that more points means a more serious offense. But I'd like to know more about it...

At the same time, how does one become a moderator? Do you apply for the job and get interviewed, or what? I was thinking of applying for a job as a moderator of the General forum. I would make informed decisions while maintaining a friendly and businesslike character.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
unSpawn

Rep: Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600
The warning point system is used by moderators to help keep LQ a nice place to be for everybody. LQ Rule violations trigger usage (and usage is bound by rules as well) but only after contacting the LQ member to make him or her understand *why* he or she should mend his or her ways. The explanation of the warnings given is the task of the moderator. This should only be done in private e-mail conversation. If an offender is not willing to cooperate they unfortunately will find that protecting the LQ community outweighs protecting the individual. This can be temporary or permanent. In any case appeal is *always* possible. The single exception are spammers who are thrown into that timeless place where wailing and gnashing of teeth awaits them.

Only Jeremy can grant one the privilege of being a moderator.
Applying sort of instantly triggers maximum demerits ;-p

Old 02-15-2008, 10:57 PM   #3
DragonSlayer48DX

Rep: Reputation: 75
That all makes sense, but it raises two questions:

1) What is the maximum number of points one can receive before being "banished"?

2) Do the points have an expiration date (i.e. after two years, the points are emancipated)?

Cheers

Old 02-16-2008, 08:52 AM   #4
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru

Distribution: Gentoo, LFS

Rep: Reputation: 3938Reputation: 3938Reputation: 3938Reputation: 3938Reputation: 3938Reputation: 3938Reputation: 3938Reputation: 3938Reputation: 3938Reputation: 3938Reputation: 3938
I would hope that they wouldn't ... that you would have to "earn your way back," because this sort of action is intended to be a social-reprimand. A sharp, yet harmless, slap.

Moderators, of course, are humans ... they can get pissed-off too ... but just look at any blog or forum that doesn't have a good, always-on-the-job moderator team. Of course you won't spend much time on those places, because you tire of listening to babies whining endlessly at each other and soiling each others' pants. (Which, believe me, they do. Just pick any politics-site. )

I'm not "brown nosin'" when I say that moderators, like editors, are one of the main reasons why a web-site is worth visiting, and why it stays that way over time.

Last edited by sundialsvcs; 02-16-2008 at 08:54 AM.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:59 AM   #5
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083
We only tend to permanently ban clear mass spammers and obvious trolls. For our member size, the number of permanent bans we have in place is surprisingly low. That's because we consider it an absolute last resort. Warning points can be temporary or permanent and don't necessarily even work up to a ban. It's meant to be a flexible system that enables the mods to do their job better.

--jeremy

Old 02-16-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
DragonSlayer48DX

Rep: Reputation: 75
sundialsvcs~

I know you're right. I used to visit Yahoo News Message Boards on occasion. What a mess! Removing them was the best move Yahoo has ever made.
---------------------------
Jeremy~

Seems to be a well-balanced system, and it appears to be working quite well, too, I might add. I didn't realize you had a point system, and was just curious about some of the details.

Cheers