LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-02-2007, 10:20 PM   #1
blackbeard99
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
stupid port question

i know this is a stupid question and maybe i did'nt search long enough but how do you open up a port rang in slackware 12 trying to get xchat to do dcc sends i can receive but cant send. router is configured what am i missing here thanks for any help

Old 12-02-2007, 10:41 PM   #2
cronicded
LQ Newbie

That depends. By router do you mean your linux box is the router, or you have a stand alone router as your gateway?

If the latter is the case, you'd need to work on the stand alone router. If your linux box is your network edge, you may not have the necessary connection tracking modules/loaded running. Of course, these may be deprecated since my network edge has been running 10.2 since it came out and I haven't bothered with it sans a new app here and there.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:47 PM   #3
blackbeard99
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
i have a stand alone netgear router the port forwarding matches between the router and xchat

Last edited by blackbeard99; 12-02-2007 at 10:48 PM.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:11 PM   #4
cronicded
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeard99 View Post
i have a stand alone netgear router the port forwarding matches between the router and xchat
I would suspect the reverse would be your issue. However, for IRC, you can build the following modules (or build them into the kernel):
ip_conntrack_irc
ip_conntrack_ftp
ip_conntrack

The following link seems to be relevant to your circumstances:

http://mail.nl.linux.org/xchat-discu.../msg00010.html

Does your syslog have a similar entry as the above archive references?

Old 12-02-2007, 11:13 PM   #5
cronicded
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronicded View Post
I would suspect the reverse would be your issue. However, for IRC, you can build the following modules (or build them into the kernel):
ip_conntrack_irc
ip_conntrack_ftp
ip_conntrack

The following link seems to be relevant to your circumstances:

http://mail.nl.linux.org/xchat-discu.../msg00010.html

Does your syslog have a similar entry as the above archive references?
This explains that XChat seems to be dependant on you manually providing your gateway/public IP address in it's settings

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=15504

Give that a shot.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:02 PM   #6
blackbeard99
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
if i understand what your saying is that i have to recompile the kernel because all i can find is .h files witch from what i have read need to be done that that way witch i havn't done before coudnt this be fixed by editing the linux firewall to open certain ports or am i missing somthing kinda new to linux so please excuse

Old 12-03-2007, 06:47 PM   #7
sparc86

Distribution: Debian, CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 31
Just to be sure that your Linux settings are correct, I think you should try the following command:

iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT

iptables -F

It will FLUSH all the iptables rules, letting everything opened for external connections. So, make all the necessary settings in your stand alone router, after, use these commands in your linux box and then try it again with xchat.

If it worked, well, then you can focus your mind only into the iptables settings, since the router is passing the traffic.

Last edited by sparc86; 12-03-2007 at 06:49 PM. Reason: correcting a grammatical mistake.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:56 PM   #8
blackbeard99
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
thanks for the iptable info tried it with fingers crossed with no success so its not linux keeping xchat from working has to be a goof on my end just have to figure out what do you happen to know where xchat keeps its config files and log files i dont see them in /usr/lib/xchat just the plugins sitting thier.time for more google searching thanks agine

update just changed ports range but what i think what it might have been was it was set to udp changed it to tcp/udp wow do i feel stupid thanks agine to all that responded

Last edited by blackbeard99; 12-03-2007 at 07:02 PM.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:06 PM   #9
sparc86

What's your Linux distro?

If you use Slackware, you can use the pppoe-start (firstly pppoe-setup) to establish a bridging direct connection (the router actually works as a bridge, therefore will be there no packet filtering by the router's side).

Do it and then test the xchat once again.

Don't forget to flush all the iptables rules before test it.

Last edited by sparc86; 12-03-2007 at 07:08 PM.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:46 PM   #10
cronicded
LQ Newbie

Once you find the xchat config sections, double check as to whether or not your problem is resolved via the same methods in the links provided. Since you can receive but not send, as is also the problem referenced in the links provided, you may be able to resolve the problem in the same manner, as is mentioned in the links provided.

In regards to a pppoe bridge or an iptables issue, sparc86, I would suspect this is not a global networking issue since blackbeard is able to receive transfers, implying a network connection and sucessful routing sans the listed problem, of course.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:26 PM   #11
sparc86

What I suspect is that his router isn't "DNATing" the connection to his internal host (linux box) and also there's an embedded firewall which is blocking incoming connections. That's why I think he should try a bridging connection, so there will be no router on the way, despite, his linux box will make a direct connection to his ISP, with no router on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronicded View Post
Once you find the xchat config sections, double check as to whether or not your problem is resolved via the same methods in the links provided. Since you can receive but not send, as is also the problem referenced in the links provided, you may be able to resolve the problem in the same manner, as is mentioned in the links provided.

In regards to a pppoe bridge or an iptables issue, sparc86, I would suspect this is not a global networking issue since blackbeard is able to receive transfers, implying a network connection and sucessful routing sans the listed problem, of course.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:04 AM   #12
evilDagmar

Distribution: NBG, then randomed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparc86 View Post
What's your Linux distro?

If you use Slackware, you can use the pppoe-start (firstly pppoe-setup) to establish a bridging direct connection (the router actually works as a bridge, therefore will be there no packet filtering by the router's side).
Umm... I don't see how doing this could possibly do anything useful. Furthermore, routers are not bridges. It would also help if you actually read what was being said by the OP carefully, because he already figured out what he misconfigured in his router.

...and please refrain from posting wild guesses to the forum. Silence is more useful than misinformation.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:16 AM   #13
sparc86

is it an adsl router?

Old 12-22-2007, 10:04 PM   #14
blackbeard99
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
what do mean a dsl router didnt know thier was a difference if your asking if it's a dsl and router together no