LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2007, 07:56 PM   #1
jnsg

Distribution: Slackware 13

Rep: Reputation: 15
i810 not working in 12.0 ("detecting sil164")

I have an integrated Intel 855GM and had been using the i810 driver with DRI and everything in 11.0. I try this in 12.0 and get some screen flickering, then a blank screen which I then ctrl+alt+backspace out of. My xorg.conf:
Code:
Section "Module"
        Load        "dbe"       # Double buffer extension
        SubSection  "extmod"
          Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
        EndSubSection
        Load        "type1"
        Load        "freetype"
        Load       "glx"
        Load        "dri"
EndSection
Section "Files"
        RgbPath "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
        FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/local/"
        FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
        FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/OTF/"
        FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/"
        FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
        FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/CID/"
        FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/Speedo/"
        FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
        FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
        FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/cyrillic/"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Keyboard"
        Driver  "kbd"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Mouse"
        Driver  "mouse"
        Option "Protocol"    "PS/2"
        Option "Device"      "/dev/mouse"
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier  "Built-in LCD"
        HorizSync   31.5 - 50.0
        VertRefresh 60
EndSection
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "VESA Framebuffer"
        Driver      "vesa"
EndSection
Section "Device"
        Identifier "Intel i810"
        Driver     "i810"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
        Identifier  "Screen"
        Device      "Intel i810"
        Monitor     "Built-in LCD"
   DefaultDepth 24
        Subsection "Display"
            Depth       8
            Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubsection
        Subsection "Display"
            Depth       16
        EndSubsection
        Subsection "Display"
            Depth       24
        EndSubsection
EndSection
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier  "Default"
        Screen "Screen"
        InputDevice "Mouse" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice "Keyboard" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection
Section "DRI"
        Mode 0666
EndSection
Warnings/errors from Xorg.0.log:
Code:
(WW) intel(0): Bad V_BIOS checksum
(EE) intel(0): detecting sil164
(EE) intel(0): Unable to read from DVOI2C_E Slave 112.
(EE) intel(0): Output VGA enabled but has no modes
(WW) intel(0): Register 0x61200 (PP_STATUS) changed from 0xc0000008 to 0xd0000009
(WW) intel(0): PP_STATUS before: on, ready, sequencing idle
(WW) intel(0): PP_STATUS after: on, ready, sequencing on
(WW) intel(0): xf86AllocateGARTMemory: allocation of 10 pages failed
        (Cannot allocate memory)
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x23
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x24
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x25
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x26
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x27
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x28
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x29
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2a
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2b
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2c
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2d
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2e
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2f
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x30
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x31
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x32
(EE) intel(0): I830 Vblank Pipe Setup Failed 0
It seems to be the exact same behavior as described in this thread, except the solution there was to use i810 instead of intel. (Just in case there was some backwards voodoo going on, I tried intel instead of i810 but got the same thing.)
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:20 PM   #2
oomfoofoo

Why do you have two device sections? One for vesa, and one for i810. You could try getting rid of the vesa device section.

Last edited by oomfoofoo; 08-06-2007 at 02:23 PM.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:53 PM   #3
jnsg

Original Poster
Because VESA is what works. I keep it there so I can get X working at all, by changing the Device in my Screen section. Simply having an unused Device section shouldn't make the used one throw errors.

Just to be sure, I removed it and still get the same thing.

In case it helps, it does this both with the huge-smp-2.6.21.5 kernel as well as my custom 2.6.21.5 kernel.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:14 AM   #4
Petri Kaukasoina

Rep: Reputation: 1459Reputation: 1459Reputation: 1459Reputation: 1459Reputation: 1459Reputation: 1459Reputation: 1459Reputation: 1459Reputation: 1459Reputation: 1459
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnsg
the solution there was to use i810 instead of intel. (Just in case there was some backwards voodoo going on, I tried intel instead of i810 but got the same thing.)
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Package xf86-video-intel-2.1.0-i486-1 has removed the i810 driver /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/i810_drv.so and replaced it with a link to the new intel driver /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so. So, while you meant to use i810, you used intel instead. Try
Code:
upgradepkg --reinstall xf86-video-i810-1.7.4-i486-1.tgz
to get the real i810 back.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:53 PM   #5
jnsg

Original Poster
Well, thank you for that, it worked. This leads me to some questions:
1 - How was I supposed to know that a package interferes with another package? I'm suddenly paranoid about the order in which I install things.
2 - Why does the intel driver want to replace the i810 driver? Is it supposed to be the new version of it or something? And if so, why are both included then? And who do I notify that it breaks things?

Last edited by jnsg; 08-07-2007 at 04:55 PM.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:53 PM   #6
davimint

Distribution: Slackware Current

Rep: Reputation: 33
I've got two of four machines with the i810 in them and until tonight I never found this problem. I always get them working but its a pain. I checked both & reinstalled the i810 but still had to work my magic to get them going again.

I sure wish someone could get this figured out and get "Pat and the Crew" to update it in the changelogs.

There's got to be something going on with this and not just buggy i810 cards.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:45 AM   #7
KhaoSlacker

Distribution: Slackware 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oomfoofoo
Why do you have two device sections? One for vesa, and one for i810. You could try getting rid of the vesa device section.
you can have as many device sections as you want/feel the need for alternatives.
X will just read those sections but not use them as long as they aren't defined in section screen to be used

Old 08-18-2007, 05:56 PM   #8
atelszewski

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I've got Intel 845G integrated graphisc and after fresh installation of 12.0 got the same problem (sil164). Solution was to uninstall xf86-video-intel and then reinstall xf86-video-i810, just like you said above. I found that, when uninstalling xf86-video-intel, the man page for i810 is lost (and that directed me to reinstall xf86-video-i810 ;-)). So there truly seems to be interference between i810 and intel.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:03 AM   #9
pappy_mcfae

Distribution: Gentoo x86 & x86_64

Rep: Reputation: 31
Talking I have been remiss...

...in my duty of thanking you for the post below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petri Kaukasoina View Post
Package xf86-video-intel-2.1.0-i486-1 has removed the i810 driver /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/i810_drv.so and replaced it with a link to the new intel driver /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so. So, while you meant to use i810, you used intel instead. Try
Code:
upgradepkg --reinstall xf86-video-i810-1.7.4-i486-1.tgz
to get the real i810 back.
I have a Toshiba Satellite 1005-S157 laptop that happens to use that particular video library. This post saved my sanity, and I just happened to trip on it on my way to something else. I am so glad I did!

Thanks for this post!

Blessed be!
Pappy

Old 08-25-2007, 09:39 AM   #10
duryodhan

Distribution: Slackware 12 Kernel 2.6.24 - probably upgraded by now

Rep: Reputation: 46
does anyone know exactly why this change was done? Earlier it was all fine ...

Old 08-25-2007, 10:48 PM   #11
pappy_mcfae

Quote:
Originally Posted by duryodhan View Post
does anyone know exactly why this change was done? Earlier it was all fine ...
I agree. However, it is not just this particular library that goes bye-bye for some strange reason. Slackware-11 always automatically detected the LCD display on this laptop and my other one. It set the VertRefresh setting to 60Hz, the default refresh for most laptop displays. And it did so whether you used xorgsetup or xorgconfig.

Slackware-12 cannot make that same claim. In order to get X-windows working, I had to run xorgconfig to set up the basics in the xorg.conf file. Then I have to manually edit xorg.conf and make sure that VertRefresh=60. Xorgsetup is right out since it doesn't set up a VertRefresh line in the xorg.conf file.

According to Pat Volkerding in the official release announcement for Slackware-12:
Quote:
X11 7.2.0. This is the X.Org Foundation's modular X Window System. You will notice many more X package than before, and it's probably best to install them all. There's been much activity in the X development world, and the improvements here in terms of performance and hardware support are sure to be only the beginning.
Since this is the newest stuff from X.org, it probably has bugs, just like every new software package, open source, or not. In order to know what's the real deal, someone would have to plod though the source code to find out what the snafu is. Anyone feel up to the task?

Fortunately, this problem was known. I can just imagine how frustrating setting up Slack-12 would have been without this thread. It took a little time for me to finally figure out exactly what was happening when I tried to start KDE while the VertRefresh problem was a problem. Now that I know, it takes me a lot less time to setup this machine properly...having done so four different times now just with Slack-12.

Blessed be!
Pappy

Old 08-26-2007, 01:31 AM   #12
duryodhan

Distribution: Slackware 12 Kernel 2.6.24 - probably upgraded by now

Rep: Reputation: 46
Xorg 7 is certainly not new ... it is pretty old. Infact, slack11 has a hack to fix ATI cards on XorgR6 (in the extras section) and there is a note there saying "hopefully we will move to modular X soon where such hacks won't be needed)

Old 08-27-2007, 02:44 AM   #13
pappy_mcfae

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by duryodhan View Post
Xorg 7 is certainly not new ... it is pretty old. Infact, slack11 has a hack to fix ATI cards on XorgR6 (in the extras section) and there is a note there saying "hopefully we will move to modular X soon where such hacks won't be needed)
Well, they may have moved to a more modular version of X, but apparently, the ATI video problem remains. I say this because in the /extras directory of the Slack-12 DVD, there is still an alternate ATI driver. It even says,
Quote:
If the ATI driver in the main tree doesn't work, then try this one. you may have better luck.
This fact begs the question as to whether this spare ATI driver is a "hack" or simply an alternate driver for an alternate chipset. Either way, it seems to me that the Slackware team may not have really accomplished much in making the jump to the more modular x. Is there really a difference between a hack and an alternate driver if you still have to install whatever the cure is called to make your computer work?

The good thing is once you get passed the cure listed in this thread, and a few others listed in other places, Slackware 12 is just as stable as Slackware 11. The even bigger plus is once you get hal sorted out and functional, Slackware 12 detects all media, from CD's to USB zip sticks.

Blessed be!
Pappy

Old 05-06-2008, 07:03 AM   #14
enine

Distribution: Slackʍɐɹǝ

Rep: Reputation: 282Reputation: 282Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy_mcfae View Post

Fortunately, this problem was known. I can just imagine how frustrating setting up Slack-12 would have been without this thread. It took a little time for me to finally figure out exactly what was happening when I tried to start KDE while the VertRefresh problem was a problem. Now that I know, it takes me a lot less time to setup this machine properly...having done so four different times now just with Slack-12.

Blessed be!
Pappy

Another user reporting the same problem. The intel driver would not work with my system, all I could get was a slow fade to white. Reinstalling the i810 driver as above fixed mine as well.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:49 PM   #15
cwwilson721

Distribution: Ubuntu 10.10 64bit, Slackware 13.1 64-bit

Rep: Reputation: 67
I added this post to my DRI post, with the attendant solution.

Since I'm not currently using an Intel Video Chip in any of my Slackware boxes, this has slipped by me.

A question: Was the issue caused by a "clean install" of SW12, or was it an "upgrade" from a previous version (11,10, -current, or whatever)?