LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2007, 01:46 AM   #1
atkfossiili

Distribution: openSUSE, Mageia, Ubuntu, ArchLab etc.

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question Installing Beryl-effects to Slackware 12

I have installed Nvidia's proprietary driver. The advice how to install Beryl I found from http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/I...l_on_Slackware

I have downloaded everything from the sources mentioned there and I installed LibXcomposite according to the advice and seemingly successfully.

Now what I have is
Code:
bash-3.1# pwd
/root/berylinstall
bash-3.1# ls
emerald-0.3.0-i486-3gm.tgz           x11-fonts-100dpi-7.1-noarch-pinki1.tgz
emerald-themes-0.3.0-noarch-2gm.tgz  x11-fonts-cyrillic-7.1-noarch-pinki1.tgz
libXcomposite-0.3.1                  x11-fonts-misc-7.1-noarch-pinki1.tgz
libXcomposite-0.3.1.tar.bz2          x11-fonts-scale-7.1-noarch-pinki1.tgz
librsvg-2.16.1-i686-1dl.tgz          x11-xdmx-7.1-i686-pinki1.tgz
libwnck-2.16.2-i686-1dl.tgz          x11-xnest-7.1-i686-pinki1.tgz
x11-7.1-i686-pinki2.tgz              x11-xvfb-7.1-i686-pinki1.tgz
x11-devel-7.1-i686-pinki1.tgz
bash-3.1#
The advice asks me to
Quote:
[edit] 2f. Install Beryl and Associated Packages
installpkg beryl*.tgz
installpkg aquamarine*.tgz
installpkg lib*.tgz
installpkg emerald*.tgz
My problem is that beryl*.tgz and aquamarine*.tgz are lacking.

This Beryl/Compiz stuff - what to do with all of it

What do you recommed me to do?

Old 07-16-2007, 06:15 AM   #2
Ahmed

Distribution: Slackware, Arch

Rep: Reputation: 41
The odds aren't very large, but should you be running Gnome under Slackware you might as well wait for the next version of Dropline Gnome, as according to the recent list of new packages on Sourceforge, Beryl will most probably be included in the next stable release. When it'll come out is another question..

-A

Old 07-17-2007, 12:38 AM   #3
atkfossiili

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed
The odds aren't very large, but should you be running Gnome under Slackware
I downloaded the Slackware 12 and installed all topics in it. There seems not to be Gnome.

I just wonder why installing Beryl or Compiz effects seems to be complicated in Slackware 12. Already some Linux liveCDs have it ready

I wanted for ex. the rotating cube desktop to my Slackware to let my friends see what Linux can do and Windows not in my relatively old computer

Old 07-17-2007, 03:14 AM   #4
tramni1980

Distribution: Slackware64-14.2 & -current, DragonFly BSD, OpenBSD

Rep: Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkfossiili
I downloaded the Slackware 12 and installed all topics in it. There seems not to be Gnome.

I just wonder why installing Beryl or Compiz effects seems to be complicated in Slackware 12. Already some Linux liveCDs have it ready

I wanted for ex. the rotating cube desktop to my Slackware to let my friends see what Linux can do and Windows not in my relatively old computer
Gnome does not come with official Slackware any more. You can get the rotating cube effect by means of compiz. All you have to do is configure it as appropriate for your video card. I myself got the rotating cube and wobbly effects. But I do not use compiz regularly because some programs do not behave well under it. Probably it has some way more to go to achieve stability and portability.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:19 AM   #5
SCerovec

Distribution: Slackware on x86 and arm

Rep: Reputation: 980Reputation: 980Reputation: 980Reputation: 980Reputation: 980Reputation: 980Reputation: 980Reputation: 980
What do I need to make KDE have 'spinning-cube' on desktop switching?
Which componentst of beryl do I need for 12.0?
compiz is the X server with GL support
emerald is?
aquamarine is?

Old 07-18-2007, 12:46 PM   #6
atkfossiili

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCerovec
I found an informative article of this topic http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...ompiz_and_more
What I will do is to install Mandriva as my second Linux installation and use that to demonstrate those wonderful artistic Linux tricks

Old 07-18-2007, 12:51 PM   #7
thegoofeedude

Distribution: Slackware 13.37, 14.1

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCerovec
Compiz is included with Slackware 12. I've not been able to play with it (dual monitor ATI with open source drivers = no DRI), but from what I've read, a good starting point may be here:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=566969

Have fun!

Old 07-23-2007, 12:05 AM   #8
zborgerd

Distribution: Slackware / Dropline GNOME

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed
The odds aren't very large, but should you be running Gnome under Slackware you might as well wait for the next version of Dropline Gnome, as according to the recent list of new packages on Sourceforge, Beryl will most probably be included in the next stable release. When it'll come out is another question..

-A
We've announced the beta for 12.0 today, and I think it will be final in a few days. I don't think that we're going to be officially including Beryl yet though, but we will likely offer what we've built as "extra" packs.

http://www.droplinegnome.org/

Old 07-25-2007, 10:37 AM   #9
evilDagmar

Distribution: NBG, then randomed.

Rep: Reputation: 31
Beryl

Well, regardless of whether we include it or not, I built it so at least I could play with it a bit. I also rebuilt Compiz because Pat's package was built without the support GNOME/metacity needs. Some of the description files I kinda watermeloned my way through because at the time I didn't exactly know what the various pieces were for (and their naming sucks), but the packages are at least clean. People who know me and my complete lack of imagination will probably have no trouble finding where I uploaded them to.

Frankly, I'm waiting for compiz-fusion to finally get to a point where they think it's appropriate to make tarballs for a semi-formal release.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:16 PM   #10
thugic

Distribution: Slackware 10.2

Actually I got compiz-fusion up and running on my Slackware 12 (from which I'm posting right now) and it works almost flawlessly. If you need any advice on how to manage it to work just tell

Old 07-30-2007, 01:30 AM   #11
tramni1980

Distribution: Slackware64-14.2 & -current, DragonFly BSD, OpenBSD

Rep: Reputation: 55
I also managed to get compiz running on my Slackware 12.0 system. Anyway I have some problems which make me avoid using it:

1.The virtual desktops buttons on the panel grow quite big when I activate compiz. Is there a way to make them look normal?
2.I have configured different wallpapers for the four desktops I use. However, in compiz the wallpaper for my first desktop is present on all four desktops, regardless of my setting. Is there a way to keep four different wallpapers for the four desktops in compiz as well?
3. When I start matlab, in shows up a blank white window. the buttons on the window seem to be active, but they are invisible.

Problem 3 is minor as I do not use matlab regularly, but the first 2 really prevent me from using compiz regularly.
Here is some more info on my system:
kernel vmlinuz-generic-smp-2.6.21.5-smp
video card 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03)

Regards,
Martin

Old 07-31-2007, 02:39 AM   #12
SCerovec

Rep: Reputation: 980Reputation: 980Reputation: 980Reputation: 980Reputation: 980Reputation: 980Reputation: 980Reputation: 980
Examine carefully the /var/log/Xorg.0.log
It might give hints ...

Old 08-05-2007, 04:29 AM   #13
atkfossiili

Original Poster
It happened that I occasionally lost the X-definitions in my Slackware and I had to configure X again. In my previous desktop I had some Compiz or Beryl effects but for ex. as
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramni1980
I also managed to get compiz running on my Slackware 12.0 system. Anyway I have some problems.....
1.The virtual desktops buttons on the panel grow quite big when I activate compiz.
The question: Is there any use to start again or simply wait for better times to come?

For me at least it is very difficult to get a clear picture what different graphical libraries and other stuff one needs to get the compiz/beryl environment. An easy solution is to install some of the already many Linux's where those modern effect are ready or nearly ready in the distribution. But I wanted to

Previously I got some effects by running
Code:
compiz --replace decoration wobbly fade minimize cube move place resize rotate scale switcher water zoom 
kde-window-decorator &
and modifying the /etc/xorg.conf
Quote:
#"Module" section
# Option "Load" "dri"
#
#"Screen" section
# Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
#Option "TripleBuffer" "true"
#
Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "enable"
EndSection
Anything else?

Old 08-06-2007, 07:59 AM   #14
SCerovec

Well,
1. Open konqueror
2. in the file bar select 'Go' -> 'Autostart'
3. There, make an empty textfile
4. rename it to, say 'compiz.sh'
5. open it
6. paste:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

compiz --replace decoration wobbly fade minimize cube move place resize rotate scale switcher water zoom &

kde-window-decorator &
7. save & close it
8. make it executable
9. Put those Lines at end in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Code:
Section    "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "enable"
EndSection
10. And the following below of Device driver selection (the line with "nvidia" or "frglx")
Code:
Option "AllowGLXWithComposite"  "true"
Option "TripleBuffer"           "true"
11. Logout of KDE
12. Cross Your fingers
13. login back
14. Do [Ctrl]+[Alt]+<cursor-keys>
15. Do [Alt]+[tab]
16. Happy?

Old 08-06-2007, 08:45 PM   #15
T3slider

Distribution: Slackware64-14.1

Rep: Reputation: 843Reputation: 843Reputation: 843Reputation: 843Reputation: 843Reputation: 843Reputation: 843
The only problem I have with KDE+Compiz is with the pager applet. The desktop icons on the pager all become very very big, and I think it's because it's actually opening 4x4=16 desktops instead of just 4 (ie a virtual portal or whatever the heck it is called consisting of one cube per KDE desktop). I have "solved" this problem by changing the number of desktops to a number larger than four and then changing the number of desktops to one immediately after that, but that means it's only one virtual portal without any real desktops (ie I can't "Send to Desktop #2" or anything like that (I have to drag a window to another face on the cube). Also, with this "solution" ALL programs are shown in the taskbar whether they are on the current cube face I am viewing or not. I also haven't been able to automate this "solution" (although I haven't really looked into it), so I have to do it every time I start KDE.

I tried using an alternate pager for KDE from http://www.kde-look.org/content/show...?content=46021 but it has too many bugs to be useable.

I haven't tried XFCE+Compiz to see if it has the same problem, but I would prefer to use KDE (I love XFCE and have used it a lot on my slower PC because KDE was a little slow, but now that I have my new PC I would prefer to use KDE).

Any suggestions? (I have searched, but I turned up nothing. I am usually a very good searcher, but I really don't feel like looking any further.)