LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-15-2007, 08:09 PM   #1
devmoc

Rep: Reputation: 15
Compiz on only one monitor?? How??

I'm running Ubuntu Feisty with Gnome. I have a nVidia 7600 GS card with an LCD monitor hooked up to the DVI port and a television set hooked up to the S-video out. The screens are setup as separate X screens with the TV "above" the LCD.

When I enable desktop effects (Compiz), it works great on my LCD, but my television set goes black. I can move the mouse up there, but it's just a black screen. How do I turn off desktop effects on the TV while keeping them on the LCD?? In other words, is it possible to have Compiz only run on the LCD and have regular Metacity on the TV? Thanks.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:22 AM   #2
R3B3L
LQ Newbie

Distribution: SuSE Linux 10.1

Rep: Reputation: 0
You would probably have better luck just getting Compiz to work on both screens at once. Try setting the TV "beside" the LCD and check the Compiz configuration to get it extended onto both displays. To use different desktop managers on each screen would hardly be possible without 2 separate graphics cards, each running their own X session - basically logging onto each one using a different account and desktop configuration.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:11 PM   #3
devmoc

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B3L
You would probably have better luck just getting Compiz to work on both screens at once. Try setting the TV "beside" the LCD and check the Compiz configuration to get it extended onto both displays. To use different desktop managers on each screen would hardly be possible without 2 separate graphics cards, each running their own X session - basically logging onto each one using a different account and desktop configuration.
I don't want to do an extended desktop. The way I have it now is that the TV is defined as a separate X screen above the LCD, so I can move my mouse up and it appears on the TV. From there I can run my video players. This is the main reason I set it up this way. I was thinking there must be some way to set Compiz to only run on "screen0" or "monitor0" by specifying it within xorg.conf or at runtime, but I am not able to find any documentation on it.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:15 AM   #4
ciotog

Distribution: Slackware current

Rep: Reputation: 43
Compiz is the window manager, X doesn't really have anything to do with it. I don't use compiz, but I imagine the gconf editor plugin for compiz would be your best bet for disabling effects for a particular screen that's causing it not to work.
http://www.compiz.org/Gconf-Editor

Old 07-17-2007, 01:42 AM   #5
Einarin
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
I would ask on the compiz forum at forum.opencompositing.org. A lot of the developers check there frequently and you're likely to get someone who knows what you need. All I can say is it sounds like you need to either start another window-manager specifically for that screen, or tell compiz about your tv. Good luck!

Tags
compiz, desktop, effects, feisty fawn, metacity, nvidia, svideo, television, tvout, ubuntu