LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
arnuld

Distribution: Arch

Rep: Reputation: 30
a small mini-terminal for Winodow Manager

i am using Windowmaker on Gentoo. i do not use Desktops. In windowmaker i have to do "Righ-Click" -> Menu to do everything and dockapps are not available for the things i want to do.

i just want to have small mini-Terminal of the size of a dockapp where i can enter name of the application to launch it. i literally hate using menu, too much mouse clicks. that small terminal can look like this (like the last dockapp on Left Hand Side):

http://ironphoenix.org/tril/fvwm/snake.jpg

any ideas ?

Old 06-17-2007, 02:53 PM   #2
penguiniator

Distribution: SolydK

Rep: Reputation: 60
http://www.windowmaker.info/features.php?show=menus

This page makes reference to features in Windowmaker allowing you to create your own custom run dialog without having to add additional software.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:09 AM   #3
grahamatlq

Rep: Reputation: 18
Use xterm

You could just run an xterm and reduce the size to one line http://linuxquestions.cachefly.net/i...s/twocents.gif

Old 06-18-2007, 04:39 AM   #4
indeliblestamp

Distribution: Fedora

Rep: Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguiniator
http://www.windowmaker.info/features.php?show=menus

This page makes reference to features in Windowmaker allowing you to create your own custom run dialog without having to add additional software.
This is what I'd recommend too. I use xbindkeys + fbrun, so when I hit Mod4+q, a tiny box pops up where I can launch my apps immediately. (I prefer fbrun to windowmaker's own launcher because of the former's very nice tab completion. If you have fluxbox installed you probably have it)
Since you use windowmaker, you don't even need xbindkeys: just use wmpref to give a binding to your launcher of choice.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:34 PM   #5
julot

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 15
mmhh... you can do what you want with wmaker only. Open the WPrefs utility (mine lives at /usr/lib/GNUstep/Applications/WPrefs.app/WPrefs but yours might be somewhere else) and go to the menu editor (near the end of the list). You will find that it is possible to define a keybinding for all the entries in the menu. In the menu, select the one called "Run..". In the WPrefs window you will be able to define a hotkey (mine is Alt+F2, just like KDE). If you want to use the Alt key you have to write it down as Mod1

Old 06-21-2007, 02:23 AM   #6
blseal
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora Core 6

Rep: Reputation: 0
Not sure if it's quite what you're after, but you could try Tilda. It stays hidden until you press its shortcut key, after which it drops down from the top of your screen.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:24 AM   #7
blseal
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora Core 6

Rep: Reputation: 0
Forgot the link - http://tilda.sourceforge.net

Old 06-21-2007, 02:49 AM   #8
arcanex

Instead of Tilda, you can also use yeahconsole, which is much less bloat. (only requires recent version of xterm, which you probably already have)

http://phrat.de/yeahtools.html

Or, even better:

Code:
xterm -geometry 80x1

Old 06-21-2007, 01:50 PM   #9
dawkcid

Distribution: LFS,Slackware,Slamd64,NetBSD

I also use xbindkeys. The advantage over using the window manager's features is that you have consistency regardless of wm (i.e. if you switch to a different wm, no need to reconfigure your key bingings).

And if you run out of keys (or can't remember them all), for simple commands (i.e. no arguments or fixed arguments) you can also "overload" xterm/rxvt to produce a unique appicon. E.g.

Code:
xterm -name MyApp -e cmd
will create an appicon with the resource name "MyApp" (which is distinct from the default xterm appicon). You can then edit the "Settings" (right click on appicon) to give it it's own icon, etc.

One problem is that you have a useless xterm lying around waiting for the program to exit. The solution to this is, after you have your appicon, bring up the "Settings" to show the command line that is executed. Change it to

Code:
xterm -name MyApp -e sh -c 'nohup cmd &'
This will cause the shell to exec the cmd in the background and exit immediately. nohup prevents the cmd from dying when shell exits. Note that you can't just do this to begin with since the appicon disappears when the xterm exits (put in on the dock before editing the Settings). Also note that you can't just do '... -e nohup ...' because it is the shell which interprets the '&'.

You can also add a -geometry option to open the xterm offscreen so it doesn't cause annoying flicker when it pops up/exits. (e.g. -geometry 1x1+-50+-50).