LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-06-2007, 11:20 AM   #1
sancho

Distribution: Ubuntu 9.04/9.10 (64-bit)

Rep: Reputation: 15
Feisty Unresponsive on Laptop...

Whenever I log into my GNOME session, it is very unresponsive--even upon loading. For example, the splash screen comes up but only one icon appears and it just sits there for several seconds. Then another icon appears, and it hangs a wile longer. Then a panel will pop up (but not the wallpaper), then a pause. Finally, Nautilus loads the background/desktop--and at this point, nearly two minutes have passed since I hit "Enter" at the login screen.

Even after all of that wait, programs take a while to load, and sometimes don't even load. Opening a Nautilus window takes significantly longer than normal.

Interestingly enough, I don't think this is disk I/O induced delay--because the hard drive isn't really reading heavily during this time. Also, this does not occur on a fresh install (it's actually rather snappy on a fresh install). I've done two installs, and it seems like this only starts happening after an APT update.

The laptop is a Turion64 3700+ with 1GB of RAM; I'm running the x86_64 version of Feisty.

Any ideas?

Old 06-06-2007, 11:23 AM   #2
stealth_banana

Distribution: Debian Sid / Kubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 30
Any chance you could open a terminal and type 'top'

to see what is using up all the resources?

I have a turion cpu on this machine, but use the i386 as much more is supported.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:55 AM   #3
Rupertt
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Hi there,

I have exactly the same problem, gnome takes about 2-3 minutes to load completely, the splash screen stays there for a long time and all programmes need also ages to load.
checked with hdparm and top and couldnt find anything that consumes much power, thought is could be a network or kernel problem maybe.
I have one LAN and one WLAN devices, the WLAN runs on raoming mode.

thx

Old 06-10-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
sancho

Original Poster
stealth_banana:

I opened up a text console and ran top, pressed 'P' to sort processes by CPU usage, and then logged in (with the same user) into GDM/GNOME, periodically switching between consoles to see what top says. Basically, the "pauses" which make the login take so long are exactly that: pauses. Because there are periods of time during the login where the CPU is 100.0% idle, and often the hard drive light isn't even reading.

Rupertt:

What arch are you running on? I'm going to play with my networking settings to see if this is somehow network-induced delay.

I should also add: I don't think this is a power-related issue, since this happens whether or not my laptop is plugged in.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:30 AM   #5
Rupertt
LQ Newbie

hey,

im running on a coreDuo 1,8Ghz, 2GB RAM. X86 Architecture
I found an WLAN here and logged in static and it seems to run at normal speed, will try to logg off and see if its slower again, I also
added RJ45 device related IP into the /etc/hosts file.
Seems like feisty is doing some lookups in the not existing networks or something like that

Old 06-10-2007, 11:40 AM   #6
sancho

Original Poster
Yup, it's network related.

You're on the right track; I think just make sure that your network interfaces are setup correctly (i.e. drivers, trying to connect to the right AP, etc. ) and that should fix it.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:50 AM   #7
Rupertt
LQ Newbie

mmh, but what to do when the WLAN runs in roaming mode, i have to be fleixble with that