LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

View Poll Results: Which is your prefered Window Manager?
Gnome 38 24.52%
KDE 69 44.52%
Xfce 17 10.97%
Enlightenment 3 1.94%
Fluxbox 15 9.68%
Other 13 8.39%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 06-06-2007, 08:50 AM   #1
tompickles

Distribution: Vista, Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 15
Post Favourite Desktop Environment and Why

Which is your favourite Desktop Environment and why?. I'm just interested to know where the preference really is.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:07 AM   #2
pwc101

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 128Reputation: 128
Perhaps this thread might interest you?

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=514945

edit: I used to be a fluxbox man, but I got a better laptop, so now I'm happy with the likes of KDE/Gnome. I dabble in XFCE too.

Last edited by pwc101; 06-06-2007 at 09:09 AM.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:28 AM   #3
tompickles

Distribution: Vista, Gentoo

Original Poster
Oh, didn't see that! Sorry guys. So, bit of a noob I know, but Difference between Window Manager and Desktop Environment?!

Old 06-06-2007, 09:50 AM   #4
pwc101

Rep: Reputation: 128Reputation: 128
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_managers

A good start

Old 06-06-2007, 09:51 AM   #5
pdw_hu

Distribution: Slackware, Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
dwm - http://www.suckless.org/wiki/dwm

Seriously it's only 20K

Check out my screen: http://wade.hu/~pdw/pdw_dwm.png

Old 06-17-2007, 12:51 AM   #6
mimithebrain

Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04

Rep: Reputation: 30
I've tried them all.

One is not better than the other, they are just meant for different people, for different purposes.

KDE (Used for about 1.5 years, Mandrake 9.1, 9.2, 10.1). Nice, very configurable. It's so easy to add a keyboard shortcut. Konqueror is beautiful. It's easy to procrastinate on this Desktop Environment so much they are many many many features to explore.

Gnome (Used for about 1.5 years Ubuntu 5.10, 6.06). Nice, very simple. It's a good environment when you just want to work and don't care how flexible your environment is, it just has to work. However, it's not as flexible as KDE.

Xfce (Experimented with it). Cute environment. I'm looking for excuses to try it out and learn more about it. Fast loading!

Enlightenment (Experimented with it). Meh, it seems to have features that I wouldn't exactly use everyday. It has eye candy that's funny to play it.

Fluxbox (Used for about a month, through damnsmalllinux). I don't exactly like editing my environment through text files. It works, that's all I care for.

I've tried KDE and Gnome for the same amount of time. I'd put KDE on my machine were I play and listen to music, because I like how flexible it is. However, on my working machine (or on a linux installation meant for someone else) I'd put Gnome.

In both environments, if I want to do something, I find a way to do it.

You wanna know which one you prefer? Try them all out. I mean by try, try it for real. Take it for a spin, for a year or two...

Old 06-17-2007, 07:25 AM   #7
LaughingBoy

Distribution: Fedora 6-17 x64 / Ubuntu 10.x x64

Rep: Reputation: 16
Whoops! I posted Gnome, because that's the one I use all the time. Once I read "preferred", I realised I should have put down Enlightenment. It's looks quite pretty, and ... well... I've not actually had a good play with it in years, but it was quite nice back in the 90's...

Just reading over Mimi's post, and I would agree - the only way to be truly (un-biased) judgemental, is to have experience with 'em all.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:47 AM   #8
arnuld

Distribution: Arch

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompickles
Which is your favourite Desktop Environment and why?. I'm just interested to know where the preference really is.
dude....you missed out some important ones, like Fvwm, Windowmaker etc.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:21 AM   #9
doug98382
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
a vote for Gnome

definitely "Gnome"

Old 06-17-2007, 10:48 AM   #10
mobilemonkey

Distribution: slackware 11

fluxbox for me, easy configuration through text files is what i like

Old 06-17-2007, 11:15 AM   #11
slakmagik

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnuld
dude....you missed out some important ones, like Fvwm, Windowmaker etc.
Yep, fvwm's mine - extremely stable, configurable, powerful. I have a root window image and a running transparent gkrellm and my windows have a one-pixel gold border around them (gray if not focused, blue if sticky) and nothing else is visible at all. (The look and the core feel is inspired by evilwm.) But I have a massive config file and a zillion functions and bindings - so fvwm stays completely out of my way, but does anything I want it to. Hidden power. I haven't essentially changed this *config* for two years which is longer than I've ever used any other window manager at all. So it doesn't cost much time any more, either.

But I have seen fvwm configs that look more eye-candy-ish and GUI-ish than Gnome or KDE, so you can go the opposite extreme with the same window manager - in fact, one of my earlier configs, while more pekwm-like, was much more visually elaborate than my current evilwm-based one.

So, yeah, I'm an fvwm nut, but I agree with mimithebrain: "One is not better than the other, they are just meant for different people, for different purposes."

Old 06-17-2007, 12:05 PM   #12
mobilemonkey

Distribution: slackware 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiot
I have a root window image and a running transparent gkrellm and my windows have a one-pixel gold border around them
hmm, i bet that looks good, i might try that on my black background

btw, whats the hex for the gold colour?

Last edited by mobilemonkey; 06-17-2007 at 12:07 PM.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:53 PM   #13
AceofSpades19

Distribution: Slackware64 -current

Rep: Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemonkey
fluxbox for me, easy configuration through text files is what i like
Me too lol

Old 06-17-2007, 01:13 PM   #14
slackhack

Distribution: Arch, Debian, Slack

Rep: Reputation: 47
xfce4, more and more. it feels like close to the perfect balance between lightness and features. flux is nice, but i've even gone to xfce4 on my laptop. it's easily just as fast. it seems weird when i think about it, but in the couple of years i've been using linux, i've never really used kde for more than a day at a time (few hours, really, until i decided i couldn't stand it), and gnome only a little more. it's like they're just too much to deal with and seem to get in the way more than help.

Old 06-17-2007, 01:37 PM   #15
Hern_28

Distribution: Slackware 12.0, Gentoo, LFS, Debian, Kubuntu.

Rep: Reputation: 38
Kde

Will have to say XFCE is my main. I actually prefer fluxbox but since most of the people other than myself that use my system are winblows junkies, XFCE is lightweight and windows user friendly enough that they can use it withought too much difficulty.

Tags
afterstep, manager, screenshots, window, xfce