LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-14-2007, 09:34 PM   #1
isra_mv

Rep: Reputation: 15
how can I "disable" widescreen in my laptop?

I'm doing a presentation in the school, working in Linux in text mode. The problem is the projector doesn't support the aspect ratio of my screen (16:10), and it cuts the edges of the screen to make it look like 4:3. This takes a lot of space away, and, you know, in text mode, I need all the screen to work. So, I need to make the screen look like 4:3 aspect ratio. But how?

Old 05-14-2007, 10:29 PM   #2
kstan

Distribution: Dual boot MacOS X/Ubuntu 9.10

Rep: Reputation: 31
if you use nvidia, u can use nvidia-setting (U can change the projector and lcd separately.)

Old 05-14-2007, 11:10 PM   #3
samstar

Distribution: suse 10.2

Hi,

If you're using the text mode, and the projector is cutting off the edges of your screen, is it because you are using the framebuffer with a widescreen resolution?

Try changing the framebuffer's resolution in the boot menu. Try adding the boot option vga=0x317. This'll give you a 1024x768 resolution.

For other vga resolutions, check this link:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/doc...WTO.html#ss5.3

Hope this helps,
Sam

Old 05-15-2007, 08:42 AM   #4
tadek
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora

Rep: Reputation: 0
If you want to see your display and screen at the same time you probably need to choose clone

Old 05-16-2007, 12:01 PM   #5
isra_mv

Original Poster
I tried with vga=0x317 (in grub, i don't use lilo), but it is still in widescreen mode, I'll try it with the projector later. I'll have the exposition next week

Old 05-16-2007, 02:45 PM   #6
samstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by isra_mv
I tried with vga=0x317 (in grub, i don't use lilo), but it is still in widescreen mode, I'll try it with the projector later. I'll have the exposition next week
Are you sure you're not just seeing it stretched? It won't give you black bars around a 4:3 work area. Plug in an external 4:3 monitor or something and see if the output fits properly.

Sam

Old 05-16-2007, 11:52 PM   #7
isra_mv

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by samstar
Are you sure you're not just seeing it stretched? It won't give you black bars around a 4:3 work area. Plug in an external 4:3 monitor or something and see if the output fits properly.
The first thing I did before using the projector was trying with a monitor (4:3). I did it to prove the connector to an external display. It's a laptop.
It worked well, stretching the image to the 4:3 format. But with the projector it cutted off the edges.
I was thinking, maybe it was just that projector. They have two in the school, I had been using one, and the last day I used the other, and have some problems especially with colors.
I'll see what happen next week, and tell you.
Thanks

Old 05-17-2007, 05:34 AM   #8
samstar

I just remembered something. At out university, the multimedia projectors would cut off the desktop area of the computers using it. Even of the built-in classroom computer. I don't know why precisely, but I would venture to say it was a configuration or problem with the projector itself.

Check the ones you'll be using. See if they force a resolution, or if there are any tweaks to perform on them. If you won't have time to do so before your presentation, and if you know, or if you know someone who knows, the model of the projectors you'll be using, you might try to find an instruction manual on it over the Internet.

Sam

Old 06-01-2007, 08:09 PM   #9
isra_mv

Original Poster
sorry! I forgot to post
well, I tried with different projectors and only that one cutted off the edges. So, that's right, the problem was the projector.
thank you very much, and sorry for not responding

Old 06-02-2007, 11:58 AM   #10
tadek
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora

Rep: Reputation: 0
If I remember well I did following:
Code:
# nvidia-settings
as sudo
then X Server Display Configuration
Resolution 1024 x 768
Configure clone
If you do not save to X configuration file then after reboot you recover at wide screen
I do not have at the moment beamer so may be I missed something, you have to try.
Good luck

Old 06-03-2007, 12:52 PM   #11
isra_mv

Original Poster
I have an ATI video card. It has a program like nvidia-settings, but when I change the resolution it stretchs to the edges of the screen.
Anyway, I don't think this affects in text mode