LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-14-2007, 08:21 PM   #1
wayfarer67
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
SUSE 10.1 wont go past login/password

hello; This is my first post here...i have SUSE 10.1 cd versions Linux installed and it boots up to the login script..i enter login name, then password, all accepted, it tells me Have fun! and then nothing more..no matter WHAT i enter..it wont run ....command not recognized..or just repeats a weird line... any help is appreciated...thanks..can i skip this login hassle...?

Old 05-14-2007, 10:52 PM   #2
Wim Sturkenboom

Distribution: Ubuntu 12.04, Antix19.3

Rep: Reputation: 282Reputation: 282Reputation: 282
I probably can't help you, but I think that some info is missing in your post.

Graphical login or text login? Reading the rest of the post, I assume the latter. Is this straight after installation?
Any chance that you can give us (part of) the weird line?

Old 05-15-2007, 03:11 AM   #3
me-macias

Rep: Reputation: 15
What happens if you log in as root?

Old 05-15-2007, 12:11 PM   #4
elvenson
LQ Newbie

Distribution: laptop - Mandriva2008 Free / XP Pro sp2 | Desktop - XP MC2k5 sp2

where did you get your copy of the iso from? this sounds almost like the kind of crap you sometimes find in unofficial bittorrent downloads...

my first full time distro was suse 10.1, honestly it wasnt any good... there where too many bugs throughout the distribution... everything from driver errors to package manager problems and missing libraries that where needed to run almost anything i tried to install but i could never find.... 10.2 fixed most of those problems from what i hear... maybee you will want to try that one

Old 05-15-2007, 08:37 PM   #5
greenarrow1
LQ Newbie

Distribution: SuSE 10.0/10.1;SLED10

SuSe 10.1

Hi There,

For one 10.1 had lots of bugs and problems and I highly recommend you download and install 10.2 as it has the bugs fixed that were in 10.1 plus has changed the YAST Program Manager and a lot of download sources have been added. You can download OpenSuSe at this link

http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org

Using this link avails you the choice of how you want to download SUSE. If you have any questions please responde as I am a member of OpenSUSE.us community. You can join the forum at www.opensuse.us and I am member greenarrow1 if you have any problems with SUSE.

Last edited by greenarrow1; 05-15-2007 at 08:41 PM.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:19 AM   #6
wayfarer67
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Hello and thanks EVERYone for trying to help out.. okay, the 6 cd distro of Suse 10.1 i ordered online from Obits a Linus distributor...along with a two cd set of Ubuntu 6.06 which in all honesty, i think is SUPERIOR to SUSE 10.1...mainly? NO problems..it installs with NO issues on both custom made computers of mine.. Except it wont recognize my external dial up modem...and SUSE does recognize my modem..so ,maybe thats what i gotta do, learn how to set up a dialup modem and dailup for Ubuntu....
I did have a problem getting past the SUSE 10.1 login after install..i did type in StartX and that worked only to find it now says Video Mode Not supported.... BUT if i leave the "default" setting of 24bit and 1280 by 1024 resolution it does run okay...go figure!!beats me why??????
i read someplace i can reconfigure SUSE after install by typing Xconfigurator....maybe i should try that....it wont work the way it is!!! again. .thanks VERY kindly..
one day i will be FREE of MS windows.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:09 AM   #7
me-macias

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer67
i did type in StartX and that worked only to find it now says Video Mode Not supported.... BUT if i leave the "default" setting of 24bit and 1280 by 1024 resolution it does run okay...go figure!!beats me why??????
i read someplace i can reconfigure SUSE after install by typing Xconfigurator....
Less emotion, more information -- it is always a good advice. It is quite obvious that you try to use some mode X does not support (not suse). So try
sax
and configure&test your configuration before you try to use it.

Suse and Ubuntu are in the same league, imho, I prefer Suse over Ubuntu for four reasons:
a) I use it for a looong time (beginning somewhere 6.3?), when Ubuntu didn't even exist, so I had to learn more to use current Ubuntu than Suse
b) Suse has yast, I like an idea of central control system
c) Suse has much (!) better support than Ubuntu, all my wishes&bug reports are not just hanging on board, but actually someone reads them and responds, Ubuntu here is understaffed and to this day I didn't get response (over half a year I believe)
d) Polish Suse forum is ... hmm, people there are more friendly

So they are not technical issues, but rather human factors.

have a nice day, bye

Old 05-18-2007, 05:38 PM   #8
wayfarer67
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
hello and thanks to ALL trying to help out..
I changed the video card....just wondering...and did a complete RE-install of SUSE 10.1 and got all the way to log in..and startx and SUSE 10.1 runs fine.. looks good..EXCEPT when i try to change the screen resolution from 1280x1024 to something i can read... 1024x768 i click on test the configuration..and right away it CRASHES.. saying VIDEO MODE NOT SUPPORTED. I cannot change the default screen resolution...no matter what i do. why does Ubuntu NOT have this problem?
i logged in as root and password, then typed sax, and i got command not recognized... startx runs the program okay..with everything working well..except i cannot READ it... changing the screen resolution crashes everything...
any ideas are greatfully appreciated.
many thanks in advance.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:43 PM   #9
wayfarer67
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
hi again;
I did a complete re-install of Suse 10.1 and tried what i have learned here..namely.. following a good install, i logged in, typed sax2... went to the configuration screen...went to display properties..and changed the default 1280x1024 to 1024x768 and clicked on TEST.... and it CRASHED again! with the sign saying Video Mode Not Supported. This linux version will NOT run in any mode but 1280x1024...and i cannot read that resolution...
what can i do?
or just give it up? and go back to Ubuntu which gives me NO problems... just cant find my modem.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:29 AM   #10
me-macias

Well, when such problem arises all you can do is test it some more (and post a bug report -- not in this case though).

One question -- what is so important in suse 10.1 that you don't want to install newer stable version 10.2 or test (a bit unstable -- maybe) 10.3?