LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-01-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
anon104

Rep: Reputation: 15
change screen resolution of xdm login screen in suse linux

hi. i recently changed to suse linux 10. it seems that after installing, suse tries to detect the maximal screen resolution of the monitor and switches automatically to it. well, in my case the resolution detected was too high, so after the system load it would only show up a blank screen. i was able to change the screen resolution for the desktop manually and it worked, but the xdm login screen resolution remained unchainged, so the only way of accessing my account is by starting in runlevel 3, logging in in cli mode and then typing "startx" to start the x server every time. this is really annoying especially because it is a shared computer and users change often. can anyone please help and tell me in which file are the settings for the xdm login screen resolution stored? thanks

Old 04-01-2007, 04:45 PM   #2
jschiwal
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE AMD64

Rep: Reputation: 682Reputation: 682Reputation: 682Reputation: 682Reputation: 682Reputation: 682
Try running "Sax2" and change the Monitor resolution there. There is a drop down list in the "Properties" area on the Monitor pane on the right.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:26 AM   #3
anon104

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
thanks a lot, this worked. it changed the behavior of the video card somehow too. anyway i kept looking for the settings file and found out it is located in /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup