LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2007, 05:17 PM   #1
igolden
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Unhappy ASRock ConRoe945G-DVI Motherboard

Hello folks!

Im completely new to Linux; just installed Fedora Core 2. I have a problem with my motherboard (ASRock ConRoe945G-DVI) since the ethernet card (built in the board)is not recognized and therefore i have not opportunity to get online!

hope to hearing from you soon

cheers!

Old 03-19-2007, 06:20 PM   #2
jay73
LQ Guru

Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04, Debian testing

Rep: Reputation: 133Reputation: 133
Well, if you have rather new hardware, that was almost inevitable. Could you let me know why you installed Fedora Core 2? That is and old, old distribution by now. The current one is Fedora Core 6 and number 7 is just around the corner. Surely you don't expect an old operating system to recognize hardware that was not available yet when it was released? You do need something more recent.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:27 PM   #3
igolden
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I checked it out and it is actually Fedora Core 6, as I told you I am a complete newbie!!

The motherboard i really new (just bought it a couple of months ago)

Old 03-20-2007, 05:45 PM   #4
jay73
LQ Guru

It might help if you were a bit more specific about the NIC in question. Most of us just can't possibly know all the components of each and every motherboard.

Is it the Realtek 8111/8168? I have a slightly older Asrock board in my second pc and that one does hav e that particular NIC. I think ASROCK produces some really great motherboards but that NIC was not yet supported by Fedora when it was released at the end of last year (it is now, in case you wonder). The solution is to go to the site of REALTEK and download the Linux driver and install it yourself. I'd be glad to tell you how but I need confirmation that we're indeed talking about the same NIC. Check you manual, the box, the internet, anything that may help.

Last edited by jay73; 03-20-2007 at 05:47 PM.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:53 PM   #5
igolden
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
hey jay73! you are great help

The ethernet card is the Realtek RTL8111B. I actually downloaded the drivers from the webpage, but dunno how to perform the installation (i feel like my dad with windows... )

Cheers!!

Old 03-21-2007, 06:38 PM   #6
jay73
LQ Guru

OK, let's install it then.

First off, you have to prepare your Fedora. You will be "compiling" the driver and that requires that certain packages are already installed. I think you'll be OK by just installing the kernel-devel package. Just search your CD/DVD; you should make sure you install the RIGHT one because there are multiple versions: the one that matches your kernel. If you look in your /boot partition, you will find out just which kernel is installed. The kernel-devel needs to have the same numbers. Then install it by simply double-clicking the proper 'kernel-devel rpm' on the DVD. Mind, the package may already be installed; if you get a message to this effect, there clearly isn't any need to install it again.

Next: import the REALTEK driver into Fedora. I assume you downloaded to a different computer or operating system. You will have to use a floppy or something similar. If you use a floppy, just pop it in and left-click on floppy (driver) under Places/Computer. Select "mount" and the floppy should appear on your desktop after which you can drag the driver onto Fedora; put it on your desktop - you could as well put it elsewhere but then you'd have trouble following the rest of the instructions.

Unzip it by right-clicking and selecting Extract Here. Then move the extracted folder to /usr/src like this:
- launch a terminal from Applications/Accessories.
- type su - (into the terminal of course, pressing ENTER after each command)
- type your root password when requested
- type cp /home/Desktop/[your username]/r1000_v1.05 /usr/src (note: I assume you have the r1000_v1.05 driver; earlier versions aren't any good in my experience so make sure you've got at least v1.05)
- then type: cd /usr/src/r1000_v1.05
- then the following commands (wait until each one completes its job):
make clean modules
make install
depmod -a
Quit the terminal by typing exit (twice).

There, the driver is installed!

Now you still need to configure your network settings by selecting System/Administration/Networking. Choose new ethernet (or something like that, I don't remember the exact words); if you only see "other" on the list and not your NIC (which is what I expect to be the case), you need to reboot before proceeding with the rest. After a reboot (if required), go back to Networking and set up a new ethernet connection by selecting your NIC and indicating whether you use DHCP (automatic IP configuration) or whether you need to do manual configuration. If you get your address from DHCP, you're basically done; you may be able to get internet straight away - if not, you need to reboot first (or at least log out).

Next: do the update - if that doesn't terrify you Fedora is constantly on the move and packages get updated very very quickly. Bear in mind that you're late in coming to FC6 and that you've missed several months' worth of these updates - so they will ALL be installed at once. I reinstalled FC6 three weeks ago and I had 800MB(!) of updates... Just be patient and a box will pop up to warn you that a number of updates are available. You could accept it but I usually prefer just killing the pop-up and launching a terminal and then typing:
su -
root password
yum check-update

This will produce a long list of all updates; you accept by simply typing y at the end. And the rest is patience... I have a fast connection (1200kbps at top speed) and it took well over an hour. It's something you may want to do overnight if you have a slow connection.
Btw, I advise against doing any individual updates before you've done this massive update first - even if you're a bit impatient: it could cause conflicts that you may never be able to get rid of again.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:03 PM   #7
deyash
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 15
Unhappy

hi guys!!

i had the same prob. with my Asus P5RD2-VM mother board.....and i followed the exact steps provided by Jay

but even now the problem still remains...while performing the installation of the realtek 8168/8111 driver i got following message:-

[root@localhost r1000_v1.04]# make clean modules
make -C src/ clean
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/r1000_v1.04/src'
rm -f *.o *.ko *~ core* .dep* .*.d .*.cmd *.mod.c *.a *.s .*.flags
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/r1000_v1.04/src'
make -C src/ modules
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/build SUBDIRS=/usr/src/r1000_v1.04/src modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6-i686'
CC [M] /usr/src/r1000_v1.04/src/r1000_n.o
/usr/src/r1000_v1.04/src/r1000_n.c:51: error: expected ‘)’ before string constant
/usr/src/r1000_v1.04/src/r1000_n.c:52: error: expected ‘)’ before string constant
/usr/src/r1000_v1.04/src/r1000_n.c:53: error: expected ‘)’ before string constant
make[3]: *** [/usr/src/r1000_v1.04/src/r1000_n.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [_module_/usr/src/r1000_v1.04/src] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6-i686'
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
make: *** [modules] Error 2
[root@localhost r1000_v1.04]# make install
make -C src/ install
install -m 644 -c r1000.ko /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/kernel/drivers/net/
install: cannot stat `r1000.ko': No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make: *** [install] Error 2
[root@localhost r1000_v1.04]# depmod -a
bash: depmod: command not found

plz help me get through this problem.....

Old 03-24-2007, 01:56 PM   #8
jay73
LQ Guru

Hi deyash,

Easy to see what's wrong: you're using a bad Realtek driver. This r1000_v1.04 has a programming error that prevents it from properly installing. It's by now well-documented but it really came close to giving me a seizure eight months ago; I must have been one of the first to use this driver so there wasn't any information available yet - it eventually took me three weeks...

In short, all you'd have to do is modify three lines of code but I think the most convenient solution is to go back to the REALTEK site and download r1000_v1.05 and use that one instead. If you do insist on using r1000_v1.04, simply post back and I'll go over my notes to find out just which lines need to be edited (sorry, I can't know all of these things by heart).

Old 03-25-2007, 02:13 AM   #9
deyash
LQ Newbie

hey Jay!!

first of all let me thank u for ur support....

now about the v 1.05 driver , i searched but could not get that driver even on realtek site and thats the reason i had no option but
to try this version 1.04 which i had downloaded from other site.....

( for your information , i found the driver (ver. 1) on my mother board cd and i suppose it also has the same prob. because that too failed to get installed....)

plz suggest something..
and thanx again !!!!!

Old 03-25-2007, 02:32 AM   #10
jay73
LQ Guru

Try this one:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false

Old 03-25-2007, 02:32 AM   #11
Electro
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
You need to need to use a distribution that is using kernel version 2.6.19. This kernel and the latest have the Realtek module (driver). You do not need to edit or fool around with any module compiling at this time. If you have a spare PCI NIC card, use that to upgrade the kernel. Then the onboard NIC should work. If it works take out the PCI NIC card. I think the module is r1000.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:12 AM   #12
deyash
LQ Newbie

hey

i tried the ver1.05 enerything went fine untill it gave me a message depmod :command not found...

i am really much dissapointed with all sorts of new problems coming along!!!

and ya i do not have any spare board so that option of updating the kernel does not exist for me

i m really lost

plz help!!!

Old 03-25-2007, 09:55 AM   #13
jay73
LQ Guru

Are you sure that kernel-devel is installed?

Are you sure that your are doing this as root? (You need to type the command -su; only once unless you exit root mode by typing "exit" at any moment).

Can you check this: become root and type lsmod; have a look at the list and verify whether it showns r1000 or not.

Last edited by jay73; 03-25-2007 at 09:59 AM.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:36 PM   #14
deyash
LQ Newbie

Thumbs up

hey!!!

thanks a lot.....finally the driver is installed ......and the network adapter is identified....

thank u Jay!!!

Old 03-25-2007, 02:17 PM   #15
jay73
LQ Guru

Good news. Now as soon as you do a kernel update, you'll find that the driver is already included so there's no need to compile it ever again. Not so with previous versions of Fedora; I had to recompile the driver after every kernel update

Also have a look at what I wrote above about the whole updating business. You've still got some work to do to bring everything up to date.