LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2007, 12:27 AM   #1
oudent

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 30
Mandriva 2007 doesn't start...it just keeps restarting computer

This is a new one. I just finished burning the Mandriva 2007 live CD, and when I go to use it, it boots to CD, I see 'boot>', press enter, or wait like 5 seconds, it starts loading, and 2 lines into the startup sequence the computer reboots.

I've never seen a live CD crash so fast in my life.
Any ideas?
I have a Toshiba Tecra A5, Intel Centrino 1.86GHz, ATI Radeon mobility x600SE (i think), 512MB RAM, DVD-RW drive. Pretty standard...except linux hates my video card, and ATI isn't providing full linux support. If anything I'd guess it has something to do with that...because the screen turns off and on once before actually restarting.

I don't need this live CD, I run Ubuntu 6.10, but I wanted to test out Metisse in Mandriva, as I have had problems setting it up in Ubuntu...though Ubuntu has given me just enough to tell me I want to see it work properly.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
falcon56215

Distribution: Xubuntu Natty on Lenovo R61i Thinkpad

Rep: Reputation: 16
I had a problem like that one time. Try using k3b to burn your iso file. K3b will auto generate an md5 sum ro verify your iso integrity. Also reburn at a lower rate, such as 12x or 8x. Some burning programs, especially in Windows, seem to have problems burning a good bootable linux cd.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:25 PM   #3
oudent

Distribution: Ubuntu

Original Poster
Thanks, I'll try that.
I used the built in burning software in Gnome and burnt at less than half maximum speed. I'll try k3b.

Old 02-24-2007, 05:01 PM   #4
chrisortiz

Distribution: Slackware, and of course the super delux uber knoppix universal live recovery cd

you can also mount the iso image to test it with "mount /dev/hdc/ /mnt/iso -o loop" naturally your path will probably be different.