LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General > LinuxAnswers Discussion
User Name
Password
LinuxAnswers Discussion This forum is to discuss articles posted to LinuxAnswers.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
AwesomeMachine
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian testing/sid; OpenSuSE; Fedora; Mint

Rep: Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015
Microsecond Precision From Garmin 18 LVC GPS unit with PPS Signal And NTP

A new la entry has been added:

Microsecond Precision From Garmin 18 LVC GPS unit with PPS Signal And NTP

Quote:
The Garmin 18 LVC is one of the slickest devices to use as a very accurate clock. It costs about $85 USA, It is a snap to configure, but Garmin makes it difficult to use these devices as reference clocks because they refuse to connect the PPS signal wire on any of their prewired versions. The bare wire Garmin 18 LVC is the only variation of the Garmin 18 line which has PPS (pulse per second) capability. This post uses Fedora Core 5 because ntp is already patched with the gps NMEA driver patch in FC5. If you want to run a time server I recommend FC5.

Last edited by AwesomeMachine; 08-26-2007 at 09:54 PM.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:32 AM   #2
lore
LQ Newbie

Distribution: fedora core 7

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question Shmpps

Hi
After reading this tutorial and the Philip M. White page I was wondering wheter is possible to use shmpps together with another NMEA driver different from LinuxPPS, because the shmpps solution is much more easier than recompile your kernel adding patches and so.
My question is: You Know about any drivers that allows me to use the NMEA output of my GPS alltogether with my PPS output managed by SHMPPS??
Thanks in advance
Lore