LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > MEPIS
User Name
Password
MEPIS This forum is for the discussion of MEPIS Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-08-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
pusrob

Distribution: Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 36
How about a new repo: good idea?

Hello.
I am not sure about something: is it a good idea to add the edgy ubuntu repository to the synaptic repo list? Will that work? Will my system go wrong, or everything will be just fine? Its just becouse I only have repos for dapper in the list, but there are only quite old packages. There is still KDE 3.5.3 in dapper repo, but 3.5.6 is the newest version. Edgy is stable too if know correctly. I use Mepis 6. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:34 PM   #2
efanning

Distribution: Right now - Ubuntu 7.04

Rep: Reputation: 15
While there are people who have added the edgy repos to Mepis 6.0 (mainly with 6.0-4) and have success, it is not really recommended. I've heard a lot of problem with Edgy in the Ubuntu forums anyhow.

efanning

Old 02-09-2007, 07:54 AM   #3
pusrob

Distribution: Gentoo

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 36
Hi efanning!
OK. So it is not a good idea to add. Than I have another question (maybe it should be adressed to ubuntu packagers). Why are the dapper packages so outdated? Why don't they put at least the new KDE releases there? They are stable. There are some bugs in KDE 3.5.3 and I think in KDE 3.5.6 they are fixed, but I cannot benefit from the fixes this way. Any suggestions? I don't wanna make my Mepis unstable, so is there a way to upgrade KDE, and in the same time everything remains stable? what if I use the kubuntu packages (linked from kde.org download page)? Or: is it possible, that in the near future there will be a Mepis package upgrade CD with newer packages?

Last edited by pusrob; 02-09-2007 at 07:55 AM.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
boemer
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pusrob
Hi efanning!
OK. So it is not a good idea to add. Than I have another question (maybe it should be adressed to ubuntu packagers). Why are the dapper packages so outdated? Why don't they put at least the new KDE releases there? They are stable. There are some bugs in KDE 3.5.3 and I think in KDE 3.5.6 they are fixed, but I cannot benefit from the fixes this way. Any suggestions? I don't wanna make my Mepis unstable, so is there a way to upgrade KDE, and in the same time everything remains stable? what if I use the kubuntu packages (linked from kde.org download page)? Or: is it possible, that in the near future there will be a Mepis package upgrade CD with newer packages?
I had problems with MEPIS 6.0-4beta, after doing a dist-upgrade to edgy. With the newer MEPIS 6.5, it seems to work fine. Using it for a week now. After replacing dapper with edgy and doing a

apt-get dist-upgrade -t edgy

I was first having a newer KDE version 3.5.5. Next step I took all 2 repositories from kubuntu.org. And now have KDE 3.5.6 and KOFFICE 1.6.1. And as a bonus, the newer updates from MEPIS still work, and also the small programs that warren adds to MEPIS.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:49 AM   #5
mepnoob2005

Distribution: SimplyMEPIS 6.5 final

Smile Re; apt-get dist-upgrade -t edgy ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by boemer
I had problems with MEPIS 6.0-4beta, after doing a dist-upgrade to edgy. With the newer MEPIS 6.5, it seems to work fine. Using it for a week now. After replacing dapper with edgy and doing a

apt-get dist-upgrade -t edgy

I was first having a newer KDE version 3.5.5. Next step I took all 2 repositories from kubuntu.org. And now have KDE 3.5.6 and KOFFICE 1.6.1. And as a bonus, the newer updates from MEPIS still work, and also the small programs that warren adds to MEPIS.
I saw your post a couple of days ago. Is the edgy upgrade still working at full speed for you? I was thinking of giving it a try just for some fun but whenever I upgraded kde in MEPIS in the past it failed a few times and worked good a couple of times. When it did upgrade ok there were usually issues that weren't there before the new and improved kde.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:09 AM   #6
boemer
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
I would say just try it with the last beta or RC, beta5 works fine with me...

Old 03-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
mepnoob2005

Distribution: SimplyMEPIS 6.5 final

Re; I would say just try it....

Thanks for the reply. I will give it a try. Could you post your etc/apt/sources.lst for me? Thanks again