LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General > LinuxAnswers Discussion
User Name
Password
LinuxAnswers Discussion This forum is to discuss articles posted to LinuxAnswers.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-05-2007, 05:37 PM   #1
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083
DISCUSSION: Point-and-Click MySQL Administration

This thread is to discuss the article titled:
Point-and-Click MySQL Administration

Quote:
Point-and-Click MySQL Administration Written by Jeremy Garcia Linux Magazine While the MySQL database is extremely powerful, one common compliant - one loudly voiced by database administrators of other database products - is that MySQL administration is performed exclusively from the command-line. But to the contrary, MySQL does have a graphical user interface tool that's supported by MySQL AB. MySQL Administrator, available under the same dual-license as MySQL itself, is a powerful, visual administration console that provides significantly better visibility into how your databases are operating. It allows you to visually accomplish almost any task you can accomplish from the command-line.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:25 AM   #2
jason_dustrose

Distribution: Currently toying with Debian-based MEPIS

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question Well...

It looks cool enough to try out, however I have found that most of these fancy looking (supposedly "super-tools") that I run accross never work the way they should, until you've configured it ten times on five different machines, with a hundred different distros to see what combo works best. Things like Fedora-DS and smb4k among others, just haven't quite done it for me.

I have found just getting in there, typing a few extra commands here and there usually pays off in time. Plus, it's kind of cool to scroll up the terminal window to see how far you've come, and I usually end up more productive anyway.