LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2007, 09:06 PM   #1
TongueTied

Distribution: SuSE 8.1 pro

Rep: Reputation: 15
Using Windows Print Drivers in Linux

Is there a system or project to enable the use of Windows print drivers under Linux the same way we can use ndiswrapper to run Windows Wireless drivers in Linux?

Old 01-31-2007, 10:36 PM   #2
Earl Parker II

Distribution: Linux Mint 19.2

Rep: Reputation: 17
Just out of curiosity, exactly what are you aiming for?

Old 01-31-2007, 10:49 PM   #3
TongueTied

Original Poster
Printing is probably more important than things like wifi for me and my Linux setup so I want to connect and use various different printers. I have a Toshiba eStudio 16 and as far as I can find, there is no linux driver for the e-Studio 16. In addition, there are all sorts of printers out there that are just paperweights as far as Linux is concerned and I'm sure people want to use them but can't. With wifi cards, the manufacturers reluctance to support linux isn't such a big problem due to the existence of ndiswrapper but with printers it is. So, if there was something like ndiswrapper but for print drivers, then the paperweights could become productive printers.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:32 PM   #4
Earl Parker II

Distribution: Linux Mint 19.2

Rep: Reputation: 17
I don't know if this is what you're looking for but...

First, you're absolutely correct, many printers aren't that well supported under Linux. HP is a notable exception- there are probably others.

A possible workaround would be to connect the printer to the Linux box and use Samba server to share it with your Windows machines. In the Share Definitions section of the smb.conf file you can enter something like the following (customized for your printer, of course):

Code:
[Printers]
   comment = HPLaserJet1300
   path = /var/spool/samba
   printer = HPLJ1300
   browseable = no
   guest ok = yes 
   writable = no
   printable = yes
   use client driver = yes
The critical line is 'use client driver = yes'. If memory serves when you add the printer to a Windows box you are prompted to install the driver and thereafter the printer is treated as a local printer.

It's possible to load the printer driver on the Linux box but it's more complicated to make work than the above method.

If you're wanting to setup the printer on the Linux box I'd try CUPS- http:/localhost:631 should fire it up. Surely there's some configuration that would give you some sort of output.

Last edited by Earl Parker II; 01-31-2007 at 11:35 PM.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:53 AM   #5
eris23
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 2
It's a postscript printer

The specs on the the e-studio 16 say it can print postscript. The standard postscript drive on linux should work. Check out http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_pr...a-e-Studio_165. The info on the e-studio 165 should apply to the e-studio 16.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:48 AM   #6
hpoppe
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian / BackTrack

Rep: Reputation: 0
You can use native Windows printdrivers under CUPS.

You can use native Windows printdrivers under CUPS. The way to do it is not very difficult, but you must follow the instructions to the letter.
If you look at www.samba.org you will find what you need in THOSARG (The Official SAMBA book) and in "Using Samba" and in the book SAMBA by Example. You should read all the documentation, but it's easy to find just the printing bit. It's important that the Samba is set up first, then you must add a printer on the Windowsmachine and thus make it upload its driver to the Windows default printfolder on the printserver. Please read the dokumentation fully before starting, or you will mess it up, for sure ;-)

Old 02-01-2007, 07:47 AM   #7
farslayer
LQ Guru

Distribution: linuxdebian

Rep: Reputation: 191Reputation: 191
Listen to eris23, he's got it right.

the eStudio is a Postscript printer and all you need to make it work on Linux is the .ppd file from the postscript print driver. The ppd file can come from the windows print driver or a MAC OSX driver, it really doesn't matter at all.. The .ppd file is a descriptor file that tells the printing system what the capabilities of the printer are, how many paper trays, can it duplex, what the page margins are, non-printable areas of the page, etc..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostScr...er_Description
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_...rinting_System

if there is a network interface in your machine then it will support LPR printing.. and according to IBM when you configure the eStudio printer for network Printing you should use one of the following LPR port names 'direct' or 'dssc' http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...2565c2007d4393

Old 02-02-2007, 01:22 AM   #8
TongueTied

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help. I'll try that out

Old 02-02-2007, 05:16 AM   #9
hpoppe
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian / BackTrack

Your'e right

I think "FARSLAYER" is right, provided you are sure this printer supports post script. If it does the use of e .ppd file is very much easier than using Windows native drivers under CUPS. Go for his/her suggestion first.

Hans Poppe,
Oslo, Norway

Old 02-16-2007, 04:41 PM   #10
Atump
LQ Newbie

Hi,i am new in linux, i would like to play music while working in linux.How can i make it?I've even tried out to watch videos but it didnt work.
I am using Fedora core 5.
I will be glad to get your help.
Atump

Last edited by Atump; 02-16-2007 at 04:58 PM.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:26 PM   #11
farslayer
LQ Guru

Distribution: linuxdebian

Rep: Reputation: 191Reputation: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atump
Hi,i am new in linux, i would like to play music while working in linux.How can i make it?I've even tried out to watch videos but it didnt work.
I am using Fedora core 5.
I will be glad to get your help.
Atump
You really need to start a new thread if you expect to get an answer to your question...