LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora > Fedora - Installation
User Name
Password
Fedora - Installation This forum is for the discussion of installation issues with Fedora.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-23-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
valdimore
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Fedora 6 Installation problem on Dell Optiplex 320

Hi All,
I know this question might be a asked again and again. Somehow I couldnt get the answer from anywhere.
I am trying to install Fedora 6 on Dell Optiplex 320 (Pentium D, ATI mother board, ATI sata harddisk(i think), PATA dvd drive) and am running into problems.
I used the pci=nomsi option to find the sata drives during installtion and I could install successfully. But when I try to boot for the first time, as expected, the GRUB is giving me problems. It is not booting up properly.
The message "root (hd0,0)
Filesystem type ext2fs, partition type 0x83
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 ro root=LABEL=/ pci=nomsi rhgb quiet
[Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1e00, size=0x1e157e]"
and the system hangs.
I know that there is some problem with Grub and I need to recompile the kernel using proper sata options.
If someone can give me detials about how to procede, I will be very grateful as I am relatively new to Linux.

Thanks

Old 01-24-2007, 05:01 PM   #2
valdimore
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
please guys help me out..
Grub is giving me a problem. so i'm trying to install lilo. but the installation of FC6 never gives me an option of lilo while getting installed. can someone please tell me how to install lilo and make my kernel boot.. Please help. I'm badly struck.
Thanks

Old 02-10-2007, 09:27 AM   #3
hoist2k
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by valdimore
Hi All,
I know this question might be a asked again and again. Somehow I couldnt get the answer from anywhere.
I am trying to install Fedora 6 on Dell Optiplex 320 (Pentium D, ATI mother board, ATI sata harddisk(i think), PATA dvd drive) and am running into problems.
I successfully got Fedora 6 running on the Optiplex 320. I have a detailed writeup on my blog.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:28 AM   #4
hoist2k
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoist2k
I successfully got Fedora 6 running on the Optiplex 320. I have a detailed writeup on my blog.
And the link. (Sorry - You can't post links as a new user on the forum)

Old 02-10-2007, 11:28 PM   #5
valdimore
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
hoist2k...
I did the same process with Debian Etch. Except, in debian I dont have the video driver problem. But the rest of the process is same.
In short -
1) Boot the install CD with pci=nomsi
2) Install lilo instead of grub
3) The other problem I had was, the Xorg was configuring the monitor with the correct horizontal sync (This may be a problem with my monitor-Dell 19 inch analog E19FP only). I edited the Xorg config file (depends on the distro) and set the correct horizontal refresh and vert sync frequencies.

I was exhausted by the time I installed and got the system up.. its a really weird system for any distro

hope this post helps more people.