LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2007, 05:25 PM   #1
bilalinamdar
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Is there Anything Like this ?

See what i mean to say is

I want a server or pc with a high bandwidth..which gives me full control via NX or Vnc or any other remote control provider..The machine should run the Hosting to.. I just want a virtual linux.
Are there any provider for this.. Who Pre-Install Software of our choice(such as firefox, etc etc).. Also port free (No port forwarding problem....
I want to know is there some thing like this can u mind telling me the exact name....
Do VPS suits my need ?

Also tell me how much this system might charge..if possible please provide a web address for this..

(I own dedicated server centos4 but got too much problem to install desired software on it)

Last edited by bilalinamdar; 01-16-2007 at 05:27 PM.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:24 AM   #2
indienick

Distribution: Arch, Ubuntu, Slackware, OpenBSD, FreeBSD

Rep: Reputation: 65
...I'm a little lost by your question, but I'll try my best to answer it.

If you want high-bandwidth, you have to pay for high bandwidth, that's an ISP thing and has nothing to do with the computer. If you want the machine to run hosting applications (a.k.a server "daemons") you need to install them, and then register a domain (www.yoursite.com) with a service, like GoDaddy.

Now, I'm not sure what you're talking about when you start mentioning the words "virtual" and "ports". But if you're asking for someone to pre-install applications and daemons for you, good luck finding a place that will do Linux/UNIX for you. It's easier, and a heck of alot cheaper to do it yourself. If you're just starting out with Linux, look into distributions that come with package managers and package manager wrap-arounds (a.k.a. "wrappers) - such as Debian, Fedora, Gentoo and Mandriva. Debian has "apt", Fedora has "yum", Mandriva has "urpmi" and Gentoo has "emerge". They're all front ends for different package managers, but they all perform the same function: calculating dependencies, obtaining packages and installing them.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:38 AM   #3
Tinkster

Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.

Rep: Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928
Moved: This thread is more suitable in <General> since it's not really a Linux-question, and has been moved accordingly to help your thread/question get the exposure it deserves.