LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2007, 07:08 PM   #1
jerds
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Startup problem, UDEV: No Such User: Root

I have been running Fedora (4 I beleive) for a year or so now, and have never had any problems, I use the computer as just an http and ftp server.
Today when I tried to reboot my computer it starts up, and just after the "press I for interactive startup" message it tries to load UDEV, and it says "No such user: root". Then during the rest of the boot process MANY things fail because it can't find the "user" it makes references to root, sshd, nobody, and some others. Basically it appears to me that it can't find the information pertaining to users.
It then goes to a screen saying that GDM is missing, and to fix the problem and reboot, and the only option is to click "ok" which brings the same screen up in an endless loop.
I don't have a clue why this would happen, and I most certainly have not made any changes to the system in the past 6 months or so.
Any help would be great, I know VERY little about unix/linux so any assistance in great detail would be much apprecaited.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:49 AM   #2
jtshaw

Distribution: Ubuntu @ Home, RHEL @ Work

Rep: Reputation: 67
Please post your thread in only one forum. Posting a single thread in the most relevant forum will make it easier for members to help you and will keep the discussion in one place. This thread is being closed because it is a duplicate.

Please continue this here.