LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-14-2007, 06:05 AM   #1
hraposo

Rep: Reputation: 30
update-rc.d' not found in PATH

I delete the packages modulis, sysv-rc and sysvinit. Now the system don't boot. When I try istall sysv-rc the output is:
dpkg: `update-rc.d' not found in PATH
dpkg: 1 programm(s) not found in PATH

How can I solve this?

Old 01-14-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
HappyTux

Distribution: Debian AMD64

Rep: Reputation: 244Reputation: 244Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by hraposo
I delete the packages modulis, sysv-rc and sysvinit. Now the system don't boot. When I try istall sysv-rc the output is:
dpkg: `update-rc.d' not found in PATH
dpkg: 1 programm(s) not found in PATH

How can I solve this?
Try booting with a live CD like Knoppix once you have booted into the live CD mount your / partition and download the proper versions of modutils, sysv-rc and sysvinit to the / partition you have mounted. Now change to the mounted / and use dpkg-deb --extract on each of the files downloaded. Hopefully when you reboot it will enable you to start the system if it does then use dpkg -i --force-overwrite again on each of the files to have the system know that you have them installed.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:37 PM   #3
xaos5

Distribution: debian and slackware

Rep: Reputation: 31
If the system doesn't boot, how are you trying to install it? As this may be your problem.

by the way, update-rc.d should be in /usr/sbin/ and is part of the sysv-rc package.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:05 AM   #4
hraposo

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Resolved Problem

Old 01-18-2007, 04:56 PM   #5
carlyno
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Gentoo 2006

Rep: Reputation: 15
hello hraposo,
I'm having the exact same issue as yours :
A minor incident, (progress bar not working anymore in bootsplash) led me to some awkward manipulations : I first wanted to reinstall all what goes along with bootsplash, and in particular sysv-rc-bootsplash. But since this package provides irreversibled patch on rc, I thought, well, lets reinstall this as well.... plus the dependencies.
Anyway, I ended up removing, to then reinstall, sysv-rc, sysvinit, modutils, sysv-rc, and sysv-rc-bootsplash (I think this last one is still on thought...). And I should have not messed with modutils, because now.... my debian doesn't boot anymore!!! I get this:
Code:
Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init

BusyBox v1.13 (Debian 1:1.1.3-3) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
(initramfs)
So, after I tryed many ways to fix this up, nx5000 led me to your post. I'm following what's previously said in this post.
Quote:
Try booting with a live CD like Knoppix once you have booted into the live CD mount your / partition and download the proper versions of modutils, sysv-rc and sysvinit to the / partition you have mounted. Now change to the mounted / and use dpkg-deb --extract on each of the files downloaded. Hopefully when you reboot it will enable you to start the system if it does then use dpkg -i --force-overwrite again on each of the files to have the system know that you have them installed.
I'm now seaking urls where I could get the needed packages. I found ftp://ftp.cistron.nl/pub/people/miquels/sysvinit/, and ftp://ftp.ocs.com.au/pub/modutils/, but none for sysv-rc. Where did you get your sources ? Are there precise packages I should get for my debian Etch ?

Last edited by carlyno; 01-18-2007 at 05:01 PM.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #6
carlyno
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Gentoo 2006

Rep: Reputation: 15
All right, I got modutils:
Code:
wget http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/m/modutils/modutils_2.4.26-1.2_i386.deb
I got the 2 other packages in the same area. So now adding init=/bin/bash in grub, runing root@[]:/#ls, I can see them on /.
When I run :
Code:
dpkg-deb --extract modutils_2.4.26-1.2_i386.deb
I get:
Code:
dpkg-deb: --extract needs a target directory.
Perhaps you should be using dpkg --install ?
I do so and get:
Code:
dpkg: unable to access dpkg status area: Read-only file system
runing mount -o remount,rw / ,I was able to dpkg-deb --extract each of the 3 files. I rebooted, but it's still hanging at the very same point.... Did I miss something ?

Last edited by carlyno; 01-18-2007 at 06:00 PM.