LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-14-2006, 09:07 PM   #1
crunchyuncle
LQ Newbie

Distribution: SuSE 10.0

Rep: Reputation: 0
Dual boot problems

system specs
amd athlon 1700+
radeon 8500 128mb
640mb ddr pc 2100
FIC an11 stealth Mother board
40gb hdd
250gb hdd
dual boot xp pro and mandriva 2006

i had two seperate computers, one with the 40gb and the other with scsi HDDs and a typical IDE 250gb HDD, both with dual boot
windows xp pro and mandriva, using Lilo Grub boot loader. one computer is crap now, the 250gb HDD having a LOT of music on it i put it into my current computer, the boot loader wont give me a thing instead it says, lilo timestamps are not the same, or something to that effect..im guessing this has to do with the boot loader being installed at two seperate times..and its protecting itself. how can i fix this, do i need to setup the boot loader again, so they coincide?
please help

thanks
crunchy

Old 12-15-2006, 12:38 AM   #2
cyberdwarf

Distribution: Ubuntu Edgy Eft/ OSX Panther dual boot on PPC Mac Mini.

Rep: Reputation: 15
Smile Another newbie here

I think I'd go with the Mandriva livecd and do at least a repair install to redo the setup. I usually let the distro set up my dual-boots, though there is likely an arcane command to redo lilo to fix the trouble. It could have something to do with mount points. Anyway, if you are changing the hardware setup, it might be a good idea to reinstall mandriva as an upgrade. Or a fresh install, if you aren't in love with your settings. Less trouble this way, at least. Hope that helps.

Old 12-15-2006, 01:01 AM   #3
basket_case
LQ Newbie

Distribution: ubuntu (Dapper Drake)

check boot order

I would also check your boot order in your BIOS -- seems you are trying to boot from the 250gig, which may not be what you want. If your drives are using cable select, then you may find that you have shifted the master/slave status of one of them.

Apart from that, I'm sure that Mandriva will have a "recovery" option that can help. If it doesn't, then you will have to either:

1) fix the current situation
* live boot a rescue cd (like the mandriva live, or knoppix, or the like)
* at a console, make sure that your volumes are already mounted (by issuing "mount")
* go and make sure that the /etc/lilo.conf on the partition you want to set up lilo from reflects the settings you want -- just edit the file, and look to see if the label lines look good to you
* use chroot to run lilo "from that partition". For example:
chroot /mnt/hda1 /sbin/lilo
This should run lilo as if you had "booted into that partition", and may fix your problem. I hope so, because the other option is:

2) Re-install. If you have settings that you like, then just back up those settings using a live cd of some kind. I normally preserve my home directory, applications that I wrote, and certain config files from under /etc when I reload (which isn't often -- I just recently did when I tried a 64bit Ubuntu on my new athlon64x2)

Hope this helps

Old 12-15-2006, 09:01 AM   #4
silkenphoenixx

Distribution: Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon

Rep: Reputation: 16
To me it sounds like a boot order issue... Remove the 250gb completely from the boot order in the BIOS but first jumper the original drive to master and the 250g to slave. That would be the way I would go about it.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:54 PM   #5
crunchyuncle
LQ Newbie

Distribution: SuSE 10.0

Original Poster
dual boot headache..

well ive got the BIOS and pin settings correct, tried to be do changes in settings..its time for a fresh install im sure thatll fix it.

much thanks for your help

crunchy