LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-30-2006, 04:33 AM   #1
Mega Man X
LQ Guru

Distribution: Ubuntu, FreeBSD, Solaris, DSL

Rep: Reputation: 65
Need a WYSIWYG similar to gmail or hotmail

Hi all!

I have a question. I'm looking like crazy for a WYSIWYG that I can use in my homepage. The editor has to have basic and advanced functions such as aligning text, changing the font type, color, etc.

The very best one I've found is FCKEditor:

http://wiki.fckeditor.net/FCKeditor

and Kupu:
http://kupu.oscom.org/

Neither seems to work with Konqueror. If any Safari users could give me a feedback(both have demos) it would be much appreciated. I'm open to any other suggestions as well. It is important to note that I'm after a real WYSIWYG XHTML Editor, not something similar to the ones used in forums such as LQ.org, which uses vB code (although I might consider using that if both fckeditor or kupu won't work well with IE and Safari).

It would be important to use external css with them as well, otherwise it won't blend well with the page, which the user can choose among different themes (for the whole page).

Once again, anyone with experience using those tools, different tools or testing their demos with your browser (IE 6.0/Safari) are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-01-2006, 12:59 PM   #2
vtel57

Distribution: Slackware64 - 14.2 w/ Xfce

Rep: Reputation: 489Reputation: 489Reputation: 489Reputation: 489Reputation: 489
If you're running Firefox 1.5x, there's an extension called Nandu, which is a nice little WYSIWYG editor. Another option... you can install full-fledged application called NVU. I use it to create and maintain webpages. Works great!

Luck!

Old 12-01-2006, 02:00 PM   #3
craigevil

Distribution: Debian Sid/RPIOS

Rep: Reputation: 533Reputation: 533Reputation: 533Reputation: 533Reputation: 533Reputation: 533
Firefox has no edit components, you can only view the source with firefox.

However there are some extensions which add edit functions to it.
View Source With - you can define html editors to edit the code.
Mozile - (Mozilla Inline Editor) is a context-sensitive XHTML editor that allows you to edit web pages from the comfort of your own browser. It can act as the client-side of a content-editing system or as a self-contained "web word processor".
HTML Validator is a Mozilla extension that adds HTML validation inside Firefox and Mozilla. The number of errors of a HTML page is seen on the form of an icon in the status bar when browsing.
Web Developer Toolbar Adds a menu and a toolbar with various web developer tools.
Nandu (former EditorZilla) is an advanced WYSIWYG HTML Local Editor for Mozilla browsers. You can also access or modify the source code of the current document.

W3C Tools (replacements for Front Page, MS Publisher and others): Tools for Linux and Windows:
  • W3C Amaya Amaya is a complete online web browsing and authoring environment and comes equipped with a WYSIWYG style of interface, similar to that of the most popular commercial browsers. With such an interface, users do not need to know the HTML or CSS languages ..... and its open source and "FREE".
    NVU Nvu (pronounced N-view, for a "new view") makes managing a web site a snap. Now anyone can create web pages and manage a website with no technical expertise or knowledge of HTML.
    OpenOffice Webwriter is a WYSIWYG web site design tool, part of the OpenOffice suite. It has features very similar to that of Microsoft's FrontPage.
    Seamonkey Composer keeps getting better with dynamic image and table resizing, quick insert and delete of table cells, improved CSS support, and support for positioned layers. For all your simple documents and website projects, Composer is all you need."
    SciTE:is a GUI-based single-document editor which uses the Scintilla editor component. It rapidly styles most common programming languages with good control over how syntactic elements are displayed, and features folding for C++, C, Java, JavaScript, and Python. Styling of HTML also styles embedded scripts written in VBScript, Javascript, or Python.
    SCREEM:is a web development environment. It's purpose is to increase productivity when constructing a site, by providing quick access to commonly used features. While it is written for use with the GNOME desktop environment in mind it does not specifically require you to be running it, just have the libraries installed.
    Quanta Plus:is a web development tool for the GNU/Linux K Desktop Environment. Quanta is designed for quick web development and is rapidly becoming a mature editor with a number of great features and lies at the heart of the KDE Web Dev suite of tools.
    Bluefish:is a powerful editor for experienced web designers and programmers.
    Bluefish supports many programming and markup languages, but it focuses on editing dynamic and interactive websites.

A nice tool that works in windows and Linux is Web Development Bookmarklets

Old 12-01-2006, 10:52 PM   #4
vharishankar

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 138Reputation: 138
I think he's asking for editors which are embeddable into web pages and not desktop web editors.

Old 12-02-2006, 05:14 AM   #5
Mega Man X
LQ Guru

Original Poster
Thanks guys for all the replies and suggestions. However, harishankar is the one that got it right. The idea is not an IDE to develop homesites (I'm kinda "allergic" to them), but ratter something that the user can write advanced texts from within a homepage, or embeddable into pages as hari clearly put .

Again, take a look at the gmail, as an example. When you write a new message, you can change font type, size, position, links and images (among a lot more). That is the editor that I'm looking for. Writing something like that would take way too long time, so there has to be either free or not options available ^_^;;

Thanks again for the replies!

Old 12-02-2006, 05:27 AM   #6
vharishankar

There's one which WordPress 2.0.x uses for it's WYSIWYG backend editor:

TinyMCE - did you try this?
http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/

Old 12-04-2006, 02:34 AM   #7
Mega Man X
LQ Guru

Original Poster
Thank you harishankar!

I did not know about that editor, but I've used WordPress before ^_^;;. It looks pretty much what I was looking for. It also did not work with Konqueror, but it has full support for Safari, which is important. And looks very easy to integrate as well. I will do some tests with it today.

Thanks once again for your help. I appreciate it

Old 12-04-2006, 05:05 AM   #8
vharishankar

Glad I could help.

I might use it myself, if I plan to write a simple blog or CMS engine in the future. So I would be interested in your feedback of it too.

Last edited by vharishankar; 12-04-2006 at 05:06 AM.