LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2006, 10:44 PM   #1
Titan485

Distribution: Edgy64, Dapper32, SUSE10.1, FC3, DSL, Linspire

Rep: Reputation: 15
Way to ssh to my computer using native windows apps?

Mkay, imagine a big black windows box sitting in the middle of nowhere. You can't install anything on it, meaning you are limited to 'ftp' and 'telnet'.

I have unlimited access to 2 linux boxes, one of which is a server and on 24/7.

Is there any way to connect over ftp or telnet (and if so anyway to set up a dummy unpriveledged account that can only run ssh), and then login through ssh to whatever linux box with sshd on it I want?

I don't think ftp would work for that, but is there some way to configure telnet to do that?

I much prefer ftp, but I want to be able to do this from any windows machine without any modification... Any help?

Thanks.

Old 11-15-2006, 12:33 AM   #2
kstan

Distribution: Dual boot MacOS X/Ubuntu 9.10

Rep: Reputation: 31
what u want actually? You want to linux or windows provide ssh services?

Old 11-15-2006, 12:46 AM   #3
Natcher00
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
USB key software

Best bet is to create for yourself a USB key with software on it designed to store all configuration info on the key - that way you can run your apps from the key, without impacting on the Registry or hard drives of the windows box (or leaving any traces of activit as an extra bonus).

Old 11-15-2006, 01:57 AM   #4
NosLycn

If I'm getting this right, you want to ssh into your linux box from any generic windows PC. Also, ftp and telnet. Windows has a telnet client. It's called telnet. Internet explorer works as an ftp client as well, using the ftp://username:password@your.domain.here:portwhatever/

If you don't put in a username/password, it will prompt. If you don't specify a port, it will choose the default port.

If you want to use an ssh terminal, there is a really awesome java app I've been forced to use on some of the school computers. It's called "Mindterm" (http://www.oit.duke.edu/sa/security/ssh.html). There are a few clients in different versions set up on websites around the web.

Furthermore, if you telnet into your Linux box, you can use ssh from your box to other servers, just using the command line.

I hope this helps.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:02 AM   #5
tmbowie16
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu

I'm running 3 linux boxes and XP, i'd recommmend Putty to ssh from Windows machines.

Download it at http://www.putty.nl/

Used it for years with no probs, it's lightweight & doesn't even need installing, could be just what you're after

Old 11-15-2006, 03:17 AM   #6
b0uncer
LQ Guru

Distribution: CentOS, OS X

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Furthermore, if you telnet into your Linux box, you can use ssh from your box to other servers, just using the command line.
Remember that telnet is not secure, it sends the data unencrypted so if somebody wanted to sniff what you're sending it wouldn't be too difficult. If you formed a telnet connection from Windows to Linux and then SSH connection from Linux to SomeOtherMachine, you wouldn't be safe - the password you gave to SSH would go over telnet, unencrypted. If you're dealing with anything more than a read-only haired piece of a pre-historic ugly candy, I suggest you forget using telnet.

EDIT: telnet is secure in one situation, nevertheless - when you don't use it. If the information goes from place A to B and there is even a ridiculously small possibility of somebody being able to sniff the path between A and B, then you're practically robbed.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:40 AM   #7
linuxles

Distribution: CentOS Fedora RHEL SLES Knoppix

I'd run PuTTY from a floppy or a USB key, no need to install anything.

NosLycn: I'd have security concerns running SSH via a Java App., and telnetting into
a Linux box to run SSH seems to defeat the point of using SSH in the first place...

Konqueror allows this: sftp://username@192.168.1.10/home/username
But as far as I am aware, there is no way to do that with Firefox - Bummer!

If you did do the PuTTY solution, you could then tunnel Firefox through it:
See here: HOWTO: Secure Firefox and IM with PuTTY
http://thinkhole.org/wp/2006/05/10/h...im-with-putty/

Old 11-15-2006, 06:50 AM   #8
nilsglow
LQ Newbie

also you should bear in mind that hidden keyloggers and other malware is quite common on windows boxes. so even if you use putty from a flash drive you might be out of luck...

Old 11-15-2006, 07:12 AM   #9
ajkrishock

Distribution: Linux Mint

SSH to Linux

I run two XP machines and a Fedora core 4 box as a server. I have only a LAN cable and a power cable running to the server. I have had great success with X-Win32 from starnet communications. I have three X-Win32 sessions .. one for straight ssh (opens a terminal), one for XSane to operate the scanner attached to my server and a third for XDM sessions.. I can open my entire Linux desktop through X-Win32.

I don't run telnet because of the general belief that it is insecure. I haven't yet configured an FTP server yet because I have several directories on the Fedora server mapped through samba as shared directories on the XP machines. Most file transfer tasks can be done in that way. Besides using your browser, there are plenty of good FTP clients out there for Windows (I use filezilla).

Hope this helps

Old 11-15-2006, 07:33 AM   #10
dannystaple

Distribution: Ubuntu on Desktop

ajk - before you jump ahead, bear in mind that normal FTP (not sftp) is no more secure than Telnet.

Titan - I strongly agree with putting putty on a USB key.

Danny

Old 11-15-2006, 08:17 AM   #11
skitch
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu

Putty on Windows

I would second the suggestion of using Putty and take the time to set up the keys and keep everything on your usb stick.

If you're behind a firewall you may not be able to ssh on the normal port (22) so you will have to set up your home server/firewall to accept ssh connection on a non-standard port. For example 2222 and this is not a bad practice because it will cut down the number of random drive by attempts to crack you ssh server. If you are not able to use port 2222 because the firewall blocks all outgoing traffic than as a last resort you can try port 443 as long as you are not running a web site using SSL at home.

Good luck

Marty Skitch

Old 11-15-2006, 11:45 AM   #12
Okieman46
LQ Newbie

Distribution: openSUSE Tumbleweed

Rep: Reputation: 1
Putty??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan485
Mkay, imagine a big black windows box sitting in the middle of nowhere. You can't install anything on it, meaning you are limited to 'ftp' and 'telnet'.

I have unlimited access to 2 linux boxes, one of which is a server and on 24/7.

Is there any way to connect over ftp or telnet (and if so anyway to set up a dummy unpriveledged account that can only run ssh), and then login through ssh to whatever linux box with sshd on it I want?

I don't think ftp would work for that, but is there some way to configure telnet to do that?

I much prefer ftp, but I want to be able to do this from any windows machine without any modification... Any help?

Thanks.
Putty is a small stand alone no install required ssh program for Windows. You can drop it into My Docs in windows and it will reside quite well there. It works quite well the the SSHd shell.

Jim

Old 11-15-2006, 12:03 PM   #13
ajkrishock

Distribution: Linux Mint

Looking closer..

Aah..
now that I read your post carefully, I can see why X-Win32 wouldn't help. I think there's a DOS-based SSH client out there that'd run from a floppy (or USB keychain drive).. have you looked into SSHDOS (http://sshdos.sourceforge.net/)? SSHDOS also provides SFTP and telnet if you need it. you could probably make a boot floppy and run it off of that if you had to.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:09 PM   #14
osor
HCL Maintainer

Distribution: (H)LFS, Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilsglow
also you should bear in mind that hidden keyloggers and other malware is quite common on windows boxes. so even if you use putty from a flash drive you might be out of luck...
This is the perfect place to use two-factor authentication (have an encrypted private certificate on the thumb drive, and guard the drive with your life

Also, remember that by default, PuTTY might leave traces in the client's registery. A good method is to use a configuration file instead is described in http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/...ml#config-file

Old 11-15-2006, 05:04 PM   #15
NosLycn

Quote:
If you were to download Putty to that PC, it would be modifying that machine. If you were to run it from a floppy/usb key/et cetera, it would avoid modifying the computer. But, there are still very few options in Windows for using telnet/ftp/ssh/sftp without adding something. I have to agree that putty is an excellent choice if you are able to do it.

If not, I do recommend that ssh client, despite the security risks. If you're just using it for home use or not doing anything too critical, it should be fine. If you are using it for a professional or critical venture, I would recommend using caution.

I know that there are a number of distributions offering USB key solutions that run an embedded Linux within Windows. I'm not exactly sure how it works and I haven't used them myself, but they do exist. If you are able to get a USB key and do this, go nuts. You can't go completely wrong doing that (plus it makes you look cool). Some even have fingerprint user authentication; even more cool.

Quote:
Remember that telnet is not secure, it sends the data unencrypted so if somebody wanted to sniff what you're sending it wouldn't be too difficult.
This is a very valid point, and using telnet to connect to a system to use SSH is defeating the point of SSH. I highly recommend just skipping telnet altogether if you can. If you can't skip using telnet, Windows does come with a telnet client (although it is ugly and mostly unusable).

You can use FTP in Firefox, although you can't upload with it. You can download with it, which seems to be kind of pointless if you're trying to keep from modifying that Windows box. If you can install some programs, there are applications like Filezilla and WinSCP that allow for SFTP in Windows. The SSH Tectia program is also handy. It gives SSH terminal and SFTP options in Windows. But, once again you would have to modify the system by installing things.

The best ssh client I found that works on public terminals (eg. in my local library) is that Mindterm client I mentioned before. Being completely unable to install software or run programs from a floppy necessitates using less secure options sometimes.

Good luck!