LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - Installation
User Name
Password
Slackware - Installation This forum is for the discussion of installation issues with Slackware.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2006, 11:46 AM   #1
ve1drg

Rep: Reputation: 15
Vmware and Slackware 11

I am trying to install VMware on Slackware 11.
I see others install VMware on Windows and then Slackware inside vmware.

I am trying to do it the other way. And I did find a 'source' file for a vmware server. I can't install it on slackware though as it is looking for rc0.d-rc6.d files.
Slackware doesn't have such files..

Anyone help??

I simply want to run WindowsXP while my Linux (slackware) is running. I am told it is easy . Just install VMWARE on my Slackware and then Windowsxp on VMware??

Has anyone done it this way? Or is it only done the other way. On Windows and Linux inside the VMware on Windows..??

Old 10-23-2006, 12:04 PM   #2
muslim
LQ Newbie

Distribution: arabian

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Has anyone done it this way? Or is it only done the other way. On Windows and Linux inside the VMware on Windows..??
Yes I've tried it with other distros. In principle there's no different between running linux inside windows or linux inside windows. The only different is about vmware installation

Old 10-23-2006, 01:39 PM   #3
ve1drg

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim
Yes I've tried it with other distros. In principle there's no different between running linux inside windows or linux inside windows. The only different is about vmware installation
Thanks for the response. But to install VMware ON Slackware, the installation process needs to find rc1.d - rc6.d directories. Slackware doesn't use such directories but RedHat/fedora and others do.

So with that in mind - how or where does one get a VMware version that will install ON Slackware...??

Old 10-23-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
oliv
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ve1drg
I am trying to install VMware on Slackware 11.
I see others install VMware on Windows and then Slackware inside vmware.

I am trying to do it the other way. And I did find a 'source' file for a vmware server. I can't install it on slackware though as it is looking for rc0.d-rc6.d files.
Slackware doesn't have such files..

Anyone help??

I simply want to run WindowsXP while my Linux (slackware) is running. I am told it is easy . Just install VMWARE on my Slackware and then Windowsxp on VMware??

I have successfully installed vmplayer (free stripped down version of vmware workstation, not sure it applies for vmserver. In order to install it properly, you have to:

1) create the rc<n>.d
for n in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 ; do mkdir /etc/rc.d/rc$n.d ; done

2) Install with the command vmware-install.pl ; but when the installer ask you if you want to run the configuration utility answer "no"

3) Lauch the configuration utility:
vmware-config.pl --compile

(the --compile is necessary to force the compilation of kernel modules; otherwise it tries to use precompiled modules and that cause problems).

4) Erase the diretories creted in step 1 :
rm -rf /etc/rc.d/rc?.d

5) add this line to rc.local to launch vmware at boot

if [ -x /etc/rc.d/vmware ] ; then
/etc/rc.d/vmware start
fi

6) Optionally you may want to shut it down when you poweroff the machine. Create /etc/rc.d/rc.local_shutdown; make it executable and add the following line to it:
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/vmware ] ; then
/etc/rc.d/vmware stop
fi

(Remark: Slackware offers limited SystemV compatibility, if you know what you are doing you can create the approriate link in /etc/rc.d/rc4.d and review the links in other run-level; but I think what I have explained is more consistent for Slackware)

Old 10-23-2006, 02:08 PM   #5
gilead

Distribution: Slackware64 14.0

Rep: Reputation: 168Reputation: 168
That's similar to the way I do it here too, except that the installer will also need /etc/init.d so I run mkdir /etc/init.d when I create the rc.* directories. After the installation is complete I move /etc/init.d/vmware to /etc/rc.d/rc.vmware where it gets run from /etc/rc.d/rc.local