LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General > LQ Articles Discussion
User Name
Password
LQ Articles Discussion This forum is for the discussion of content posted to the Articles and Editorials section.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-15-2006, 06:27 PM   #1
vharishankar

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 138Reputation: 138
DISCUSSION: [Hari's Linux Corner] How to tell a software problem from a hardware one

This thread is to discuss the article titled:
[Hari's Linux Corner] How to tell a software problem from a hardware one

Quote:
A different kind of article to address a frequent issue that keeps cropping up on tech support forums, particularly one like LinuxQuestions.org. I've often found questions on this forum where the problems encountered by users are hard to diagnose as either a software issue or a hardware issue. In particular, I thought I'd share some of my thoughts on what makes a problem more likely to be a hardware problem. While rare, hardware problems do occur on modern machines because of the increasing number of transistors choked into smaller and smaller boards and the enormous heat generated by multi-gigahertz processors with advanced features.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:29 PM   #2
the3rdsam
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
In my experience the main difference that will best distinguish a hardware error from a software error is that software errors are more predictable, and happen after specific events as compared to hardware errors which are more random and it seems near impossible to pinpoint an exact cause to errors.

Old 10-16-2006, 04:25 PM   #3
BigFoot13

Distribution: Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy

Rep: Reputation: 15
An easy way to tell is to see if it happens in Windows (if you are dual booting with that). 99% of the time whether it whether it happens in windows will distinguish a hardware problem froma software error.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:40 PM   #4
blast
LQ Newbie

Distribution: whitebox, fedora core3, Red Hat Linux ES

What the hell is up with this?

Old 10-16-2006, 08:25 PM   #5
dj_segfailt
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Red Hat 7.3

That's easy.

Hardware problems you can kick.
Software problems you can only cuss at.

Old 10-16-2006, 09:18 PM   #6
vharishankar

Distribution: Debian

Original Poster

Rep: Reputation: 138Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3rdsam
In my experience the main difference that will best distinguish a hardware error from a software error is that software errors are more predictable, and happen after specific events as compared to hardware errors which are more random and it seems near impossible to pinpoint an exact cause to errors.
That's very true. Hardware problems can be some of the most frustrating issues that can crop up. I have experienced a few and I know the feeling.