LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General > LinuxAnswers Discussion
User Name
Password
LinuxAnswers Discussion This forum is to discuss articles posted to LinuxAnswers.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-03-2006, 01:22 PM   #1
Erik_FL

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 258Reputation: 258Reputation: 258
DISCUSSION: How to boot from RAID using "dmraid"

This thread is to discuss the article titled:
How to boot from RAID using "dmraid"

Quote:
I had to use dmraid to find and map the RAID sets with the device-mapper in Linux. Once I got dmraid to work, my problem was how to make a working initrd RAM disk image to boot Slackware Linux. It turned out to be quite a bit more complicated than I expected. I had to create a new "linuxrc" script to map the RAID volumes and mount the root filesystem. I also had to write a script to include additional files in the initrd RAM disk image. Here is the new "linuxrc" script. [CODE] # Boot parameters: # real_root=rootdev Replace "rootdev" with real root device # root_fs=rootfs Replace "rootfs" with real root filesystem type

Old 01-04-2010, 12:11 AM   #2
maxkukartsev
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Gentoo, Arch, Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 16
Smile Way to install GRUB from linux, not BIOS

Hi Erik_FL,

You said you had to do a "native" GRUB installation from BIOS since GRUB couldn't recognize your RAID array in linux.

You could get a linux GRUB installation working by supplying a custom device map:
Code:
$ cat device.map

(hd0) /dev/mapper/isw_cafaadgife_RAID0
Here I used the base RAID array device, as opposed to the individual isw_cafaadgife_RAID01, isw_cafaadgife_RAID02, and isw_cafaadgife_RAID03, which correspond to RAID partitions (hd0,0), (hd0,1), and (hd0,2) respectively.

Running grub with this device map, everything works out nicely:
Code:
grub --device-map=device.map