LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General > LinuxAnswers Discussion
User Name
Password
LinuxAnswers Discussion This forum is to discuss articles posted to LinuxAnswers.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-03-2006, 01:17 PM   #1
rickh

Distribution: Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64 Desktop: Generic AMD64-EVGA 680i Laptop: Generic Intel SIS-AC97

Rep: Reputation: 62
DISCUSSION: Howto: Change Font Size During Boot (Framebuffer Resolution)

This thread is to discuss the article titled:
Howto: Change Font Size During Boot (Framebuffer Resolution)

Quote:
Seems that nowadays most distros use a splash screen to cover up all the system messages that scroll across the screen during boot-up. You usually get an option to see the detail by hitting some key or other. I'm an old man, and get some kind of comfort from watching those lines fly by, and sometimes it's very helpful. The problem is that the default screen density at that point is something like 640x480. The lines wrap, and you can only see about 20 at a time even when they're not wrapping. It's very difficult to see a line that you're particularly watching for. You can change that screen density by modifying the framebuffer resolution, but if you try googling for information about how to do that, you will quickly be discouraged unless you're the type of person who builds his own kernels, enjoys hexadecimal numbers, and is generally smarter than me.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:48 PM   #2
Caeda

Distribution: Suse 6.0+, Mandrake 5.0-10.0, Redhat 6.0-9.0, Gentoo 1.2+, Gnoppix, Knoppix, Sabayon, Ubuntu 5.04+

Rep: Reputation: 45
???

/me pulls up google, types in, "Framebuffer resolution codes," hits "I'm feeling lucky," and is immediately dropped onto a page with a chart of resolutions and color depths with all the codes listed...

Who exactly has a problem finding and configuring this?!?!?! It's not rocket science to find the codes!

Old 10-03-2006, 07:04 PM   #3
rickh

Distribution: Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64 Desktop: Generic AMD64-EVGA 680i Laptop: Generic Intel SIS-AC97

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 62
I'll be darned. Didn't see that page. It's not that clearly defind hardly anywhere else. I had a heckuva time finding it this morning. Just as well to have a good guide on LQ, too.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:26 PM   #4
Azizcoos

Distribution: Debian et al

Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Who exactly has a problem finding and configuring this?
Anyone who doesn't know what a framebuffer resolution code is, or why they should care.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:45 AM   #5
Azizcoos

Distribution: Debian et al

Rep: Reputation: 16
With a sample size of one, I found that 1600x1200 - 798 was not recognized, but 1024x768 - 791 worked. I did not try the two intermediate resolutions listed. Also, the existence of this thread has knocked the listing page mentioned above out of first place on Google.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:04 AM   #6
tkmsr

Distribution: Ubuntu,Open Suse,Debian,Mac OS X

Rep: Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeda View Post
???

/me pulls up google, types in, "Framebuffer resolution codes," hits "I'm feeling lucky," and is immediately dropped onto a page with a chart of resolutions and color depths with all the codes listed...

Who exactly has a problem finding and configuring this?!?!?! It's not rocket science to find the codes!
It might not be a rocket science for you but then for many a newbies it helps us to understand a lot of things so it is totally relevant
How have you contributed to add knowledge of many of the readers who might have come across this post.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:11 AM   #7
Caeda

Distribution: Suse 6.0+, Mandrake 5.0-10.0, Redhat 6.0-9.0, Gentoo 1.2+, Gnoppix, Knoppix, Sabayon, Ubuntu 5.04+

Rep: Reputation: 45
"contributed to add knowledge"

About as much as digging up 3 year old posts contributes.... whoooooo