LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-02-2006, 07:17 PM   #1
311Sam

Distribution: slackware & kubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 15
agpgart.ko: Invalid module format?

upgraded from the stock 10.2 kernel to 2.6.18. i have the agpgart and chipset as a module. modprobe gives me:

Code:
root@311:~# modprobe agpgart
FATAL: Error inserting agpgart (/lib/modules/2.6.18/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.ko): Invalid module format
i have been chasing problems all day after the upgrade. this might just be a simple fix or maybe my brain is just fried for tonight. looked all over google and got nothing.

system is a dell c610 laptop with ati m6 mobility and intel i830m chipset

.config snip:

Code:
# CONFIG_FTAPE is not set
CONFIG_AGP=m
# CONFIG_AGP_ALI is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_ATI is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_AMD is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_AMD64 is not set
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=m
# CONFIG_AGP_NVIDIA is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_SWORKS is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_VIA is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_EFFICEON is not set
CONFIG_DRM=m
# CONFIG_DRM_TDFX is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_R128 is not set
CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=m
# CONFIG_DRM_I810 is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_I830 is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_I915 is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_MGA is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_VIA is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_SAVAGE is not set
# CONFIG_MWAVE is not set
# CONFIG_PC8736x_GPIO is not set
# CONFIG_NSC_GPIO is not set
# CONFIG_CS5535_GPIO is not set
# CONFIG_RAW_DRIVER is not set
# CONFIG_HPET is not set
# CONFIG_HANGCHECK_TIMER is not set
i am trying to get dri working in x using the built-in radeon driver. it all worked fine in 24

what could i possibly be missing?

Old 10-02-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
comprookie2000
Gentoo Developer

Distribution: Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 58
That most times happens when the kernel is built with a different version of gcc than the modules or ccache being enabled . Not sure about ccache and slackware.
Check out dmesg | less and gcc -v. How did you build and install the kernel and modules.
also what does dmesg say when you try to load the module, may give you a hint as to what is going on.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:32 PM   #3
311Sam

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprookie2000
That most times happens when the kernel is built with a different version of gcc than the modules or ccache being enabled . Not sure about ccache and slackware.
Check out dmesg | less and gcc -v. How did you build and install the kernel and modules.
also what does dmesg say when you try to load the module, may give you a hint as to what is going on.
hmm after a modprobe agpgart, syslog reports: agpgart: exports duplicate symbol agp_bridge (owned by kernel)

like i said this is (was) a stock 10.2. upgraded to 2.6.18 with: make gconfig, make bzImage, make modules, make models_install. then i copied the necessary files to /boot

seems like i have had way more problems then most people with this upgrade.

have never heard of "ccache" i will read up on it

Last edited by 311Sam; 10-02-2006 at 08:34 PM.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:18 PM   #4
comprookie2000
Gentoo Developer

I would try this;
cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig
change this, compile it directly into the kernel
CONFIG_AGP=y
make
make modules_install
make install
The new kernel should be vmlinuz
cd /boot
ls
is it there, you should see vmlinuz.old also, that should be one of your old kernels,
make sure to edit lilo.conf
then run lilo
may work

Old 10-03-2006, 09:18 AM   #5
311Sam

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprookie2000
I would try this;
cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig
change this, compile it directly into the kernel
CONFIG_AGP=y
make
make modules_install
make install
The new kernel should be vmlinuz
cd /boot
ls
is it there, you should see vmlinuz.old also, that should be one of your old kernels,
make sure to edit lilo.conf
then run lilo
may work
yea i was thinking about building it into the kernel, i was like that already but then i changed it to a module. then it was built into the kernel rc.modules was still mobeprobing agpgart and i think it was screwing everything up, or atleast puting errors in the logs

Old 10-03-2006, 02:43 PM   #6
comprookie2000
Gentoo Developer

I think rc.modules is a sym link to the 2.4.xx kernel. I just delete it all. Then I think it is here. (I'm on gentoo at this time)
cd /etc/rc.d
rm rc.modules
rm (what ever the 2.4.xx kernel modules are)
touch rc.modules
chmod +x rc.modules
Then on my laptop I have in there;
nvidia
ndiswrapper

Old 10-03-2006, 02:45 PM   #7
311Sam

Original Poster
well i recompiled with all the agp stuff in the kernel and i still cant get direct rendering to work:

Code:
(WW) RADEON(0): [agp] AGP not available
(EE) RADEON(0): [agp] AGP failed to initialize. Disabling the DRI.
(II) RADEON(0): [agp] You may want to make sure the agpgart kernel module
is loaded before the radeon kernel module.
since i was messing around with modules i went ahead and deleted the /lib/modules/2.6.18 directory before i did make modules_install. i usually do that when i am taking out and adding modules in the kernel i am fixing to compile. but now after i rebooted my sound stopped working again and all the modules are putting out the error "wrong module format" very interesting. the only thing i changed in my config besides the agp stuff was i changed

Code:
#CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY is not set
CONFIG_PREEMPT=y

to:

Code:
CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY=y
# CONFIG_PREEMPT is not set
logs are looking wierd too:

Code:
Oct  3 14:21:11 311 kernel: snd_page_alloc: version magic '2.6.18 mod_unload PENTIUMIII REGPARM gcc-3.3' should be '2.6.18 preempt mod_unload PENTIUMIII REGPARM gcc-3.3'
Oct  3 14:21:11 311 kernel: soundcore: version magic '2.6.18 mod_unload PENTIUMIII REGPARM gcc-3.3' should be '2.6.18 preempt mod_unload PENTIUMIII REGPARM gcc-3.3'
Oct  3 14:21:11 311 kernel: snd: version magic '2.6.18 mod_unload PENTIUMIII REGPARM gcc-3.3' should be '2.6.18 preempt mod_unload PENTIUMIII REGPARM gcc-3.3'
Oct  3 14:21:11 311 kernel: snd_timer: version magic '2.6.18 mod_unload PENTIUMIII REGPARM gcc-3.3' should be '2.6.18 preempt mod_unload PENTIUMIII REGPARM gcc-3.3'
Oct  3 14:21:11 311 kernel: snd_pcm: version magic '2.6.18 mod_unload PENTIUMIII REGPARM gcc-3.3' should be '2.6.18 preempt mod_unload PENTIUMIII REGPARM gcc-3.3'
Oct  3 14:21:11 311 kernel: snd_ac97_bus: version magic '2.6.18 mod_unload PENTIUMIII REGPARM gcc-3.3' should be '2.6.18 preempt mod_unload PENTIUMIII REGPARM gcc-3.3'
Oct  3 14:21:11 311 kernel: snd_ac97_codec: version magic '2.6.18 mod_unload PENTIUMIII REGPARM gcc-3.3' should be '2.6.18 preempt mod_unload PENTIUMIII REGPARM gcc-3.3'
im going to ditch preemt all together and i hope it is the cause of all my problems, although i dont see how

Old 10-03-2006, 04:21 PM   #8
nykey

Rep: Reputation: 30
I had this problem also. To solve it I booted my system into that kernel into CLI mode and I've copied my .config to /home/user ,
then "cd /usr/src/linux" (or where you have your kernel source directory) and I've ran "make clean" then "make distclean" and
finally "make mrproper". After this I copied my .config file back from /home/user to /usr/src/linux (or your kernel source directory)
and ran "make oldconfig" then "make && make_modules install"... after it finished I copied "System.map" , ".config" and "bzImage"
to /boot added an option to lilo.conf for the new kernel and ran "lilo -v", rebooted and it worked like a charm.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:32 PM   #9
311Sam

Original Poster
ok i got it working, i disabled the preempt kernel crap and then recompiled using all the agp stuff as modules, works like a charm and now i have direct rendering working right. 2.6 also fixed my glxgears lockup problem as long as i have "Option "SWcursor" "true"" under my video card settings. it always locked up even with that option in 2.4.

today is a good day