LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Mandriva
User Name
Password
Mandriva This Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-01-2006, 09:28 PM   #1
cute_girl
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
difference betwwen mandrake and mandriva

hello guys,

i have one question. what are difference between mandrake and mandriva?

anybody can help me?

Old 10-02-2006, 01:50 PM   #2
pljvaldez
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian Wheezy (x86)

Rep: Reputation: 281Reputation: 281Reputation: 281
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandriva

Basically Mandrake merged with Conectiva and Lycoris and became Mandriva. If the install says Mandrake, it's probably an older version. Everything new will be Mandriva...

Old 10-02-2006, 05:17 PM   #3
Mimenta
LQ Newbie

Distribution: SuSe 10.1

Mandriva - Mandrake?

Or to put it somply - There is no difference.

Mandrake merged with some businesses in 2005 and changed their product name from Mandrake to Mandriva. If someone is talking about Mandrake, they are running a distro from 2005 or earlier.

I've run Mandrake since 2000 and upgraded with each new version and all my apps run equally well with Mandrake or Mandriva. Other than a new splash I can't see any difference - just as rock solid as ever and one of the best to install when it comes to detecting hardware and periferals (I service PCs and put Linux on every machine so if their Windoze crashes, I can recover data easily. Customers call me back stunned and delighted to find they have another OS asa backup - I prefer Mandriva and SuSe for ease of installation.)

Old 10-02-2006, 11:24 PM   #4
cute_girl
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
step to install mandrake ?

hai guys...i have several question want to ask all of you about mandrake...

1- step to install and configure firewall for mandrake?
2- step to install and configure IDS for mandrake?
3- step to install and configure honeypot for mandrake?

hopefully all of you can help me..

Old 10-03-2006, 12:14 AM   #5
mrksravikiran
LQ Newbie

Dont't do the Homework on forum! Ok! you need to do it by yourself.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:03 AM   #6
reddazz
LQ Guru

Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 77
If indeed you have Mandrake, then I suggest that you ditch it for Mandriva products since they are newer than their Mandrake counterparts. And are your questions homework?

Old 10-05-2006, 05:38 PM   #7
Mimenta
LQ Newbie

Distribution: SuSe 10.1

Homework Linux style.

Hey Cutegirl,

If that was your homework - you deserve extra marks for resourcefullness; no-one else in your class had your initiative!

The difference beteween Linux and the rest, is that we are a community - all working together and benefitting from the groups combined experience. If Linus Torvalds did all his own homework, what would Linux look like today.

At the end of the day, when the servers crash, what matters is that you can do it, not where the info came from.

Old 10-06-2006, 03:42 AM   #8
reddazz
LQ Guru

Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimenta
Hey Cutegirl,

If that was your homework - you deserve extra marks for resourcefullness; no-one else in your class had your initiative!

The difference beteween Linux and the rest, is that we are a community - all working together and benefitting from the groups combined experience. If Linus Torvalds did all his own homework, what would Linux look like today.

At the end of the day, when the servers crash, what matters is that you can do it, not where the info came from.
This sites policy is that we shouldn't help people with their homework and thats why everyone wants clarification whether its homework or not.

By the way this has been moved to the Mandriva forum.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:48 AM   #9
Emmanuel_uk

Distribution: Mandriva mostly, vector 5.1, tried many.Suse gone from HD because bad Novell/Zinblows agreement

Rep: Reputation: 53
oh and yes, it has been announced that mandriva is buying another company.
Are they going to change name again?

Old 10-06-2006, 11:41 PM   #10
thunderweasel

Distribution: Void Linux

Rep: Reputation: 15
Part of the reason for the name change was because they were being sued for trademark infringement for use of the name "Mandrake" (and the stars and magic wand graphic that went with it) by the creators of "Mandrake the Magician", the syndicated comic strip turned TV show and movie, at least from what I heard at the time. So it's doubtful that they'll change names again just because they acquire another company. Otherwise we'd currently have something like "Mannectivoris" right now (which would be pretty cool, actually, if you ask me)

Old 10-07-2006, 09:37 PM   #11
cute_girl
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
erm..actually...this is for my assignment...

In the project students are required to install an Operating System of their own choice . This operating system must be an open source Operating System. NO group shall have the same operating system hence selection will be granted base on first come first serve basis. Once the operating system has been decided, each groups are required to satisfy the following requirement :

Here are the requirement for the server:

Install Honeyd and configure so that the server create a minimum of 5 honeypot hosts
Install and configure IDS
Install and configure firewall
Install and configure reporting mechanism so that end user could read the report about the honeypot

Students are required to submit a report which should includes explaination on the steps that has been taken for the installation.

so..in my assigment, i choose Mandrake...that's clear now? anybody can help me..?

Tags
as, been, company, distributing, linux, mandrake, version