LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Enterprise Linux Forums > Linux - Enterprise
User Name
Password
Linux - Enterprise This forum is for all items relating to using Linux in the Enterprise.

Notices

View Poll Results: How much would you charge for a project such as this?
< $1,000 USD 0 0%
$1,000 - 5,000 USD 1 50.00%
$5,000 - 10,000 USD 1 50.00%
> $10,000 USD (explained in thread) 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 09-26-2006, 10:49 AM   #1
cparker15

Distribution: Debian, FreeBSD, gNewSense, Ubuntu, Ututo

Rep: Reputation: 15
Lightbulb Multi-Webcam Solution

I'm working on a Web site for a client, and this client has a series of nine (9) rooms that they want webcams installed in and streaming on their Web site.

I've been looking at some wired ethernet D-Link Internet cameras (ones that are Video4Linux-compatible, of course), but they seem to be pretty expensive, considering I have a budget of about $1,000 USD.

I'm planning on setting up a headless Debian box to act as a webcam junction box of sorts and letting that box worry about pushing webcam snapshots to the remote Web server. I'm probably going to end up using Palantir to handle the webcam feeds. Does this seem like a viable solution? What would a realistic budget for a project like this be, just worrying about the hardware costs and not the time, labor or the custom programming I'm going to be doing to set up the client's requested infrastructure?

Old 09-26-2006, 10:56 AM   #2
uteck

Distribution: Ubuntu based stuff for the most part

Rep: Reputation: 500Reputation: 500Reputation: 500Reputation: 500Reputation: 500Reputation: 500
I have not worked with stuff like this, but I if I did, I was thinking of using http://www.zoneminder.com/home.html that also have a good forum that may help you better.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:13 AM   #3
cparker15

Distribution: Debian, FreeBSD, gNewSense, Ubuntu, Ututo

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Wow. ZoneMinder seems to be exactly what I'm looking for as far as video capture and delivery are concerned. Thank you very much for that tip!