LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Puppy
User Name
Password
Puppy This forum is for the discussion of Puppy Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-21-2006, 02:54 PM   #1
in2media

Rep: Reputation: 15
wanting to install puppy to h/drive

im wanting to install puppy to the hard drive but notsure how to start the install option

Old 09-22-2006, 04:34 PM   #2
marksouth2000
Puppy Motivator

Distribution: Too many to mention

Menu | Setup | Puppy Universal Installer.

Choose "Normal/Option 2", not "Coexist/Option 1"

Old 10-26-2006, 06:40 PM   #3
wscarl
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksouth2000
Menu | Setup | Puppy Universal Installer.

Choose "Normal/Option 2", not "Coexist/Option 1"
used version 2.10 version 2.11 has a bug that provents HD install working

To install puppyos as the only OS on a hd drive then boot from CD 2.10 go menu - control panel - gparted partition manager and create
ext2 primery partition and a (min 256 meg - max 2gig)linux swap primery partition apply then select ext2 goto partition -manage flag - check box (boot) or it will not boot. then reboot to cd and use the Universal installer Choose "Normal/Option 2" and install grub when asked

note: if you want to you can edit the grub boot menu.lst file (chich Home then up arrow to root them chick boot - grub - menu.lst) by adding at the begining of file:

hiddenmenu
default=0
timeout=5

this will auto boot grub to puppy hd
Bug fixed 2.12 install HD no problem!!!!!!!!

Last edited by wscarl; 11-18-2006 at 07:30 PM.

Old 11-05-2006, 04:20 AM   #4
sharkee

Distribution: Kubuntu 5.10 Ubuntu Dapper

Rep: Reputation: 30
That depnds on how yuo wish to install puppy
Do you want to have puppy only or 2 or more operating systems on the same drive.
Regards
Sharke

Old 11-13-2006, 10:19 AM   #5
eeried

Distribution: Xubuntu Dapper - Debian Etch - Puppy Linux

Ah yes, I'd like to know how I install Puppy alongside Xubuntu, Xubuntu is already installed.
My wish is to install 3 Linux distros on my tiny 8GB HDD. I've kept 1GB free space at the end of my HDD for Puppy. In the middle I'll install Debian etch around Christmas from the base system to keep it as small as possible.

So I can't afford to erase my Xubuntu!

Old 11-13-2006, 12:24 PM   #6
marksouth2000
Puppy Motivator

Puppy can be installed to its own partition, but it doesn't need to have an entire partition all to itself. And 1GB is plenty room for Puppy.

To share space with another system (can be Windows or Linux) you boot from the Puppy CD, and (preferably before doing anything else) go to the menu then Setup then Puppy Universal Installer. Select your HD and the partition to install to. Select the COEXIST option. Puppy then simply copies a few files to that partition, without affecting the rest of the system already there (of course an empty partition also works). Once that's finished, go menu then Setup then WakePup boot floppy.

When you shutdown, choose the option to save your pup_save.3fs file on the same partition as you installed Puppy, and next time you start Puppy your settings will be used automatically.

This way Xubuntu won't notice Puppy is there, and when you want to boot to Puppy you just insert the Wakepup floppy and reboot.

BTW, regarding space, I have an old portable with a 6.4GB drive, it has a swap partition and 3 partitions of about 2GB apiece so I can run 3 different versions of Puppy. Puppy rattles around in there, I should have made the partitions smaller.

Hope this helps, if not, ask more questions, OK?

Cheers,
Mark

Old 11-13-2006, 10:21 PM   #7
eeried

Distribution: Xubuntu Dapper - Debian Etch - Puppy Linux

marksouth2000: Many thanks for your detailed reply. I think Puppy is a great distro and highly original, not being based on any others. I only tried Puppy 2.01 and I'm going to burn the 2.11 version (the one with xorg drivers)

You say 1GB is plenty of room for Puppy: how small can I make the partition for Puppy?

Is it best to use the Wakeup floppy or is there another way to boot Puppy next to another distro?

And while I'm at it, though it's a bit OT, is it possible to burn two small distro on the same CD (like Puppy and DSL) and boot from one or the other, using a boot floppy perhaps?

cheers

Old 11-14-2006, 02:59 AM   #8
marksouth2000
Puppy Motivator

Eeried, lots of questions (questions are good, right?), I'll take them in turn.

The amount of space required for Puppy is quite small, especially because if you do the "frugal" type install (aka Option 1 or Coexist) the Puppy files are mostly stored compressed on your HD, as they are on the CD. The frugal installation process actually only copies the files from the CD to the HD.

I just checked my brand new fresh install of 212b2, and it's exactly 400MB. That includes the development kit (devx_212.sfs at 60MB) and my 256MB pup_save.3fs. So, if you do a fresh install, don't add devx_212.sfs, and keep pup_save.3fs to the minimum size of 32MB, you could install Puppy in under 120MB.

I suggested Wakepup because it's the simplest to set up. A frugal install of Puppy can be booted from an existing GRUB installation (assuming Puppy files in hda1) with the following stanza added to GRUB's menu.lst

title Puppy Linux frugal install on /dev/hda1
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 loglevel=3 PMEDIA=idehd
initrd /initrd.gz

Finally, gliezl on the murga.org forum has published a CD image with both Puppy 109CE and Puppy 2.01 (I think) on it, you select which you want to start at boot. Somewhere someone once put NINE mini-distros on a CD, but you'll have to do a websearch for that one.

Best of luck,
Mark

Old 11-14-2006, 04:36 AM   #9
marksouth2000
Puppy Motivator

A quick search shows that the multiple distro CD I was thinking of is called "Multi Distro". Du-uh!

The site is here:

http://multidistro.tlm-project.org/md_en.html

It includes a Puppy derivative, Grafpup by Nathan Fisher. Details at

http://www.grafpup.com/

Cheers,
Mark

Old 11-14-2006, 06:21 AM   #10
alred

Distribution: puppy and Ubuntu and ... erh ... redhat(sort of) :( ... + the venerable bsd and solaris ^_^

Rep: Reputation: 31
probably other things to do with puppy is to have a few of your own xxxxxx_211.sfs together with the stock pup_211.sfs(probably with just a few extra add-in) side by side on the same "/" directory of a partition and start using puppy ...

"size" doesnt matter if you are going to use puppy from hd in whatever ways but i guess the pup_save*.3fs should be as small as possible , preferably without any installations of whole applications ...

//just my opinion for i'm suspecting that maybe something will go wrong somewhere ...

Last edited by alred; 11-14-2006 at 06:24 AM.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:34 AM   #11
marksouth2000
Puppy Motivator

Alred makes a good point about having multiple versions of the squashfiles, easy to do with puppy. Also, you can have different pup_save files. If there is more than one file matching pup_save*.3fs in the partition, Puppy will ask at startup which one you want to use.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 11-14-2006, 11:14 AM   #12
alred

Distribution: puppy and Ubuntu and ... erh ... redhat(sort of) :( ... + the venerable bsd and solaris ^_^

ok ... this is what i'm actually thinking about to do ...

those xxxxxx_211.sfs files are suppose to be mounted read only when puppy finished bootup while pup_save*.3fs files are mounted read/write at the top most layer ...

probably theres a possibility to have this kind of scenario where we can have three seperate sfs files not counting the stock pup_211.sfs ...

1. gimp , open office and scribus
2. tex and lyx
3. the rest of the smaller utilities like psutil , gentoo , enscript , and other personal likings(not necessarily came with puppy sites) , etc etc ...

so when puppy bootup , these three sfs will be mounted together with pup_211.sfs as read only while the pup_save.3fs will be mounted read/write on top ...

as i said , its just something i wanted to do ... will there be anything going wrong or am i getting things wrong ??

//let me know ...

Old 11-14-2006, 02:31 PM   #13
marksouth2000
Puppy Motivator

If one isn't a Puppy expert, one can treat it as an experimental system and try to learn its phenomenology....

This is the approach that Nathan used to provide add-ons for Grafpup, where it worked very well. (Probably still does, but I haven't looked at it for a few months, hence the use of the past tense :-)

So, try it and see what happens would be my advice. And please let us know what you find.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 11-16-2006, 02:45 PM   #14
louieb

Distribution: Ubuntu 8.04

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wscarl
used version 2.10 version 2.11 has a bug that provents HD install working
Yea I just spent a few hours learning this the hard way. Wish i had checked here first.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:16 PM   #15
alred

yep , dont need to do a hd install(i'm assuming that means a fully "expanded" puppy system on hd) ... this is what i got on one of my partition ::

/puppy
gimp-scribus_211.sfs
open-office_211.sfs
print-tex-lyx-libspell_211.sfs
pup_200.sfs
pup_211-BARE-CD-ISO.sfs
pup_211.sfs
tools-enscript-ecasound-gentoo-jasspa_211.sfs

those saved 3fs files are in the directory of /puppy , its 128 mb just to play save a bit ...

two things i need to mention is that ::

1.its seems that i could only create and use 4 extra xxxxxx_211.sfs and i was told that "the kernel only support" 8 union layers ...

2.puppy is suppose to be "provened" on older and much slower pc with lesser ram but i guess things like extra xxxxxx_211.sfs do need a faster pc ...

//anyway ... puppy is ideal ...