LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General > LQ Articles Discussion
User Name
Password
LQ Articles Discussion This forum is for the discussion of content posted to the Articles and Editorials section.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-09-2006, 07:54 AM   #1
briandonohue111
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
DISCUSSION: Success after Failure -- Going Back? Yeah Right

This thread is to discuss the article titled:
Success after Failure -- Going Back? Yeah Right

Quote:
I thought that the tale of my experiences in Linux would make a good tale. cd /home/brian/background Since I have been able to understand anything about computers I have dabbled in and out of Linux. The first time I ever attempted an install was of Mandrake in 2000. It didn't go so well: X wouldn't recognize my video card and I couldn't get it running, to top it off I installed LILO on the MBR and could no longer access my recovery partition. The recovery CD's for my IBM computer wouldn't work either as something corrupted the MBR and it wouldn't fix. I ended up using an IBM utility called zero or something like that to fix it and I got in a load of trouble with my dad. I was never allowed to install linux again on a computer I didn't own. That didn't stop me and, after the heat had passed and a little while later, I tried Slackware and it worked!

Old 09-30-2006, 08:33 PM   #2
dogged28

Distribution: Ubuntu Dapper Drake

Rep: Reputation: 30
very good story. i've been there and done that with an old toshiba laptop and 16 megs of ram. for me though, after a week it just become "the point of the thing". i wanted linux on there with a gui and i got one. dsl will run just really really slow. good job and good lesson on the fruits of trial and error.